“Don't stay here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Shell Resort

Save Saved
You added The Shell Resort to your Saves list
The Shell Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3030 Bayshore Drive, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Ranked #80 of 133 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Surf City,
“Don't stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last night and all of our cash was taken from the room while we were at dinner. We were only gone for a few hours and the door was locked, with no forced entry. Because I had tipped the cleaning lady using my money clip, she saw that I had a good amount of cash. We did file a police report. The manager wasn't very helpful or sympathetic to our situation. In addition, the room was a real dump but the outside area was fairly well landscaped. Also, they wouldn't give either an AARP or AAA discount. They still charged us for the room. We went a 1/2 mile down the road and stayed at a much nicer hotel (the Marriott) for only $30 more per night.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Alajuela, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This was my wife and I first time to Ft. Lauderdale and will definetivly return and will book at the Shell Resort again, its location is good, AC, Satellite TV, rooms clean and neat; but what made my experience just great was the friendly family-like service provided by Lydia and Maria at the front desk; they both did their best to make us feel pampered, they were courteous and very helpfull every time we needed anything. They helped booking the shuttle to Sawgrass Mills, also helped booking at a hotel in Miami Beach for the rest of our vacations, also provided advise on the best restaurants in town. And as we visited during Christmas I was able to witness the Christmas spirit and the joy Lydia was sharing to everyone. We went for one night but stayed three instead. Totally recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed at the Shell Resort hotel for at least 2 weeks (4-16 December 2013).

To be honest, the hotel is nothing exceptional but the location is great and relatively safe. The rooms are decently cleaned every day and fresh towels are provided on a daily basis.

Staff is friendly and willing to help but you can notice lack of professionalism as soon as you checking. Saying that, I would like to take this opportunity to specially say thank you, to all the housekeepers and also to the Operations Manager.

The pool is another great asset for this humble hotel, always very clean and peaceful area to be if you want to avoid the beach.

Lastly, another great point would be the fact that you have a full kitchen and therefore able to cook your breakfast every morning....

Not sure if I would return to this hotel, however I would recommend it just only for short stays.

Fernando

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Yorktown Heights, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

First off the "operations supervisor", who has to announce their title whenever speaking to me or other guests, informed me that my quoted rate had gone up. I had made these reservations with the old management I guess and the new (definitely not improved, quite the opposite) management jacked me up more $. The place smelled like garbage because the garbage apparently hadn't been picked up in two weeks. This is entirely unacceptable and unsanitary to say the least, but is quite fitting for this glorified crack motel...this about sums up the Shell, from the amenities to overall service-definitely garbage

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Cologne, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Shell Motel is located in a quiet side street and has a very nice court yard with pool and palm trees. Beach is located 2 minutes away by foot. Room was however slightly run down (smelly sewage, loose toilette) the kitchen was hardly equipped with anything except appliances.

However the managers were very friendly, forthcoming and supportive, meeting all our questions. They told us that the whole resort undergoes major refurbishing and renovation.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Great location, clean room. Pool which we did not use but was beautiful courtyard. Only one small complaint is they did not get coffee going at 8:00 as promised. No problem for me but my husband is a major coffee drinker. Overall excellent stay. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Nice little resort with a lot of international clientele and right across the street from the W, if you're interested in mixing with the nearby hotel guests. Fine for boat show attendees.

One block from the beach.

Tired hotel furniture and kitchen furnishings; but serviceable if you prefer apartment-style accommodations.

Very limited office hours and poor wireless signal.

Room Tip: furthest away from W - it's noisy at night