“I love this place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bonnet House Museum and Gardens

Bonnet House Museum and Gardens
900 North Birch Road, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)
954-563-5393
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Ponds with bonnet water lilies and tropical gardens surround this historic 35-acre 1921 courtyard style waterfront home, whose artistic and innovative owners, famed artist Frederic Clay Bartlett and his wife Evelyn, made equally beautiful inside.
Portland, Oregon
11 attraction reviews
“I love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Just returned from our 2nd visit to Fort Lauderdale and took our 2nd self guided tour of the grounds. I absolutely love this place. Such intereresting foliage and critters. Tangled vines and the tiny frogs which are ordinary seem magical here. It feels like stepping out of today and into a secret garden from the days of old Florida. I seem to feel the vibrance and peacefulness both at the same time this place must have been during it's heyday. Didnt see the monkeys for the 2nd time while on the grounds but as a very special surpirse they did visit the resort fence next to the grounds where we stayed our last day of vacation for some nut treats from the hotel staff. Seeing the monkeys was ending to a perfect vacation. I plan on returning to Fort Lauderdale over and over and I will also visit the Bonnet House each and every time too. For some mysterious reason I feel connected and very content and happy when I am on the grounds. It's a beauitiful place.

Visited June 2013

Kansas City, Missouri
4 attraction reviews
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

What an amazing place. So much to see, learn, and enjoy. A picture is worth a 1,000 words. so I have attached some pictures.There is a story behind the monkeys that you just won't believe. Be sure to order the 2 for 1 card from Sunny Florida site so that it only cost you $20 for 2 people.

Columbus, Ohio
22 attraction reviews
“I loved this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I did the 1 hour/15 minute tour - tour guide was great. This place was made for me - decorated with plants, animals, and sea shells........Very unique place..........I almost talked myself out of going here thinking that b/c it is a museum that I would be inside most of the time and I prefer to be outdoors,,,,,,,,,,,,,however, much of tour is outside considering that the "middle" part of the house/museum is like an outdoor conservatory...........Good I went - I would have really short-changed myself if I didn't go.............I saw so much wildlife! I will remember this place forever!!!

Visited June 2013
Woodbridge
29 attraction reviews
“A delightful step back in time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The Bonnet Museum is an Oasis in Fort Lauderdale, a step back to the way the area once looked and how the wealthy lived. The house is preserved so well and the grounds are lovely to stroll around. You can't help but appreciate how well it has been kept up. The tour guides are informative and friendly, a lovely way to spend a half a day visiting the way Fort Lauderdale once looked without all the concrete and high rise hotels. There are monkey's you may see roaming about and raccoons eating fruits from the trees on the property. A delightful way to relax and soak up the feel of the way Florida was at one time enjoyed.

South Florida
10 attraction reviews
“if you're used to traditional & want quirky/cool, come here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

i went for my 2nd time. learned a lot more b/c i was building on my 1st trip knowledge. this time i spent more time outside of the house. interesting that "the father/birch" tried to grow everything on this 35 acres that he came across in his world travels. so a lot of interesting plants. didn't fully realize some of the beautiful settings - a freshwater "lake" off the back (or is it front?) of the house, surrounded by palms but feels like Giverny in France. a whimsical stage and a smaller lake with swans where there were picnics & cocktail hours.
it's nothing like Flagler or Viscaya - so if that is "art" to you, you'll be disappointed. this was a fun, whimsical house with unending projects, collections to be added to, plants to be added, monkeys to be seen and birds to be flying around.
but these people chose this because they loved it and the story of bonnet house is quite amazing! i enjoyed it more the 2nd time. spent time outdoors but still didn't get my picnic there?!
if you live in broward county you save $3 pp. ticket price $20 for adults (not seniors), a bit pricey but look for coupons.
i love it! take the $2 outdoor tram ride. the food is cold soda's & chips/candy. not sure how anyone handicapped could move around the home - but they have an outdoor only admission and you can see the courtyard. the tour is 1.25-1.5 hrs and that's moving thru pretty quickly. tour guides knowledgeable about the history.