“It is time for a make-over...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palm Plaza

You added Grand Palm Plaza to your Saves list
Grand Palm Plaza
2.0 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   2801 Rio Mar Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Formerly Palm Plaza Resort)   |
CT
“It is time for a make-over...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed at the PP last year at the same time when it was under different management. I have no complaints towards the new management. They were personable and polite. It is, however, time for the new management company to invest some real money into this resort and update it.

My room's tub clogged every time I showered which ended up with me standing in ankle-deep dirty water. This, in turn, led to dirt stains on the bottom of the tub, which were never cleaned during my whole 5-night stay! I think the cleaning staff came in the room and cleaned the bare minimum each day and one day they didn't even clean my room or restock my breakfast basket! :( Another day, they didn't re-supply my towels.

The water coming out of the faucets was also brown. Not sure why and I did drink with no sickness so...

The grounds are pretty nice and serene and I found most of the other guests polite. I pretty much kept to myself and fortunately met a cool guy at the beach who I spent most of my time with so barely mingled with the other guests but a few times.

TVs are old clunkers and room furnishings are very dated. I think some guys probably like the "charm" that this denotes, and I do too, but it is time to get into the 21st century!

Towels and bed linens were very clean. Breakfast was OK, the best they could doo under the Health Dept restrictions.

Granted I knew what I was getting into when I booked the reservation so I take everything in stride. I am pretty easy going so didn't complain about the issues in my room. I chose PP because of price and proximity to the beach and you get what you pay for basically. Next year I will most likely stay at the Royal Palms, another resort owned by the same company and a little more modern with younger clientele.

Mostly older men stay here so if you are younger, you probably won;'t like it here.

All in all, my trip to PP was satisfactory.

Room Tip: Maybe the suites are a little nicer to stay in. I peeked in one and it looked nicer than my single...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I found this place browsing through the Internet. I just called and checked room availability, they had two rooms with kitchens left where other hotels only had regular rooms. Andrew was very nice on the phone and took all my information and held the room for me until i could call back and make a reservation, i even got a hold notice in my e-mail. Finally we drove in and arrived a little after noon and thought we might have to wait a bit since check-in was 3 pm, but it was not an issue, they had the room ready for us. Just walking into the oasis of what is their courtyard is amazing. Palm trees and flowering plants everywhere surrounding the pool with ample space to lounge. All the rooms are surrounding the pool and have a beautiful view of the courtyard. The rooms are spacious and where clean and tidy, lots of attention to detail in the way the towels are folded and such, makes one feel special. Edward was especially nice giving us all information we needed right off hand and his service and welcome was warm and genuine. Luis and Andrew who are in charge of the rooms are also standouts, the room was always stocked, towels were always fresh and their smiles readily available. Every Moment of my vacation was perfect including my stay at this incredible place. This is the place i will return to on my next trip to Fort Lauderdale. An absolute Gem!!!

Room Tip: Get a suite (with kitchen) you can make your own food.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Palm Plaza remains my preferred choice to stay when I visit Fort Lauderdale. It's charm, serenity, and attentive management/staff has lured me back at least a dozen times in the past several years. Recently, the resort has gone through changes with a new owner and management staff. Edward, the new manager, is still learning the ropes, but is pleasant and friendly. He has dealt with some challenges since he has come on board, particularly during 'Sandy'. He appreciates constructive criticism in his efforts to improve this wonderful little hide away, such as kitchen items that would make the larger suites more accomodating, or attending to plumbing issues (it is a rather old structure; but that adds to its charm). In addition, the other staff members are also friendly and helpful, and do take the time to talk to you and answer any questions that you may have.
As one who likes to be good to our planet, I would love for this resort to show a sincere effort to have a recyclying program in place and set the standard for other guesthouses and hotels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Sitting in the airport waiting to go back to Canada, I am already missing the comforts of this resort. The grounds are like a private sanctuary. Evenings were spent sitting in the gazebo, listening to the soothing water fountain or late night swims in the heated pool. The rooms were wonderfully maintained and you won't find a better staff or management anywhere in Florida. During the day it was beautiful laying by the pool and mingling with other guests. In fact, I was hard pressed to leave the grounds as this private Eden left you wanting nothing. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this resort and plan on coming back. Choosing the Palm Plaza was a super smart move on my part.

Room Tip: I actually had a double room my first night before moving into a single and both were very comfortab...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have stayed at Palm Plaza numerous times, and always looked forward to Steve and Ron's hospitality and professionalism. Now that they're gone, someone new--I can't remember his name--is the manager. He was pleasant enough, but I resented his presumptuousness. My first day there, I was at the pool, and he said, "You need to get some sun." I thought that was a tactless comment, for not only had I just gotten there from New York, where it was winter, I don't have melanin in my skin, which means I don't tan. Steve or Ron would never have been that brash. Even though Palm Plaza remains the most economical of all the guesthouses in FLL, from now on I'll stay where I hope I won't get insulted. I do want to say that the guy who cleaned my room was very cordial and friendly. Also, to his credit, the manager did inform me that I could use the Royal Palms gym, since they're presumably owned by the same company.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
GrandPalmPlaza, General Manager at Grand Palm Plaza, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Hello, first I would like to publicly apologize on behalf of myself and my staff if we offended you in any way. It is NEVER our intention to make any guest feel uncomfortable or come off offensive. Speaking for myself, I do my best to make sure everyone has a pleasent stay. I wish I could say more, except I do make mistakes, but try to learn from them so not to repeat in the future. I am sensitive and committed to the health and comfortability of all my guests. If there is anything I can do for you, please reach out to me.

Warm regards,
Edward Otto Zielke, General Manager
Grand Palm Plaza 954-260-6568
Barre
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights preceding an RSVP cruise and it was as pleasant as the last time there several years before. Beautiful pool, and flora and fauna surrounds the common area..along with the "sights" of folks taking advantage of it's clothing optional rule. It's very private and a VERY short walk to the gay section of the beach. It's a little motel, and slightly long in the tooth but still feels safe and inviting and clean..and welcoming...the men in the office went to great lengths to accommodate us when our travel plans changed. Also, it's quite handy (with a rental car) to anyplace you could ever want to go..shopping, bars and the like. We WILL be going back. It's just cute and we love it.

Room Tip: If you travel in a group and are just relaxing, consider the Plaza as your destination. And one of y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
EU
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

This property could be lovely, but it is not! Quality of accommodation is not in line with prices being charged. Very old furnishings, bed sheets and towels. We stayed 2 nights, the second we had no hot water for 24hrs. The management made no offer of refund or alternative accommodation. I had to go to a gym to shower which cost me $$$ and time.

I would not consider staying here again....

• Stayed January 2013
GrandPalmPlaza, General Manager at Grand Palm Plaza, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
We are sorry your stay with us was not to your satisfaction. We have gone to great lenghts to improve on all services, including purchasing new bed linens, towels, furniture, kitchen appliances and cutlery when possible.

We did offer shower services at our property next door that day when the hot water went out. I am sorry if that was not communicated to you. We hope you will give us another chance once the renovations take place.

Regards,
Edward, General Manager

Been to Grand Palm Plaza? Share your experiences!