“Still my favorite place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palm Plaza

Save Saved
You added Grand Palm Plaza to your Saves list
Grand Palm Plaza
2.0 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   2801 Rio Mar Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Formerly Palm Plaza Resort)   |
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Still my favorite place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Palm Plaza remains my preferred choice to stay when I visit Fort Lauderdale. It's charm, serenity, and attentive management/staff has lured me back at least a dozen times in the past several years. Recently, the resort has gone through changes with a new owner and management staff. Edward, the new manager, is still learning the ropes, but is pleasant and friendly. He has dealt with some challenges since he has come on board, particularly during 'Sandy'. He appreciates constructive criticism in his efforts to improve this wonderful little hide away, such as kitchen items that would make the larger suites more accomodating, or attending to plumbing issues (it is a rather old structure; but that adds to its charm). In addition, the other staff members are also friendly and helpful, and do take the time to talk to you and answer any questions that you may have.
As one who likes to be good to our planet, I would love for this resort to show a sincere effort to have a recyclying program in place and set the standard for other guesthouses and hotels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

209 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Sitting in the airport waiting to go back to Canada, I am already missing the comforts of this resort. The grounds are like a private sanctuary. Evenings were spent sitting in the gazebo, listening to the soothing water fountain or late night swims in the heated pool. The rooms were wonderfully maintained and you won't find a better staff or management anywhere in Florida. During the day it was beautiful laying by the pool and mingling with other guests. In fact, I was hard pressed to leave the grounds as this private Eden left you wanting nothing. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this resort and plan on coming back. Choosing the Palm Plaza was a super smart move on my part.

Room Tip: I actually had a double room my first night before moving into a single and both were very comfortab...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have stayed at Palm Plaza numerous times, and always looked forward to Steve and Ron's hospitality and professionalism. Now that they're gone, someone new--I can't remember his name--is the manager. He was pleasant enough, but I resented his presumptuousness. My first day there, I was at the pool, and he said, "You need to get some sun." I thought that was a tactless comment, for not only had I just gotten there from New York, where it was winter, I don't have melanin in my skin, which means I don't tan. Steve or Ron would never have been that brash. Even though Palm Plaza remains the most economical of all the guesthouses in FLL, from now on I'll stay where I hope I won't get insulted. I do want to say that the guy who cleaned my room was very cordial and friendly. Also, to his credit, the manager did inform me that I could use the Royal Palms gym, since they're presumably owned by the same company.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
GrandPalmPlaza, General Manager at Grand Palm Plaza, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Hello, first I would like to publicly apologize on behalf of myself and my staff if we offended you in any way. It is NEVER our intention to make any guest feel uncomfortable or come off offensive. Speaking for myself, I do my best to make sure everyone has a pleasent stay. I wish I could say more, except I do make mistakes, but try to learn from them so not to repeat in the future. I am sensitive and committed to the health and comfortability of all my guests. If there is anything I can do for you, please reach out to me.

Warm regards,
Edward Otto Zielke, General Manager
Grand Palm Plaza 954-260-6568
Barre
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights preceding an RSVP cruise and it was as pleasant as the last time there several years before. Beautiful pool, and flora and fauna surrounds the common area..along with the "sights" of folks taking advantage of it's clothing optional rule. It's very private and a VERY short walk to the gay section of the beach. It's a little motel, and slightly long in the tooth but still feels safe and inviting and clean..and welcoming...the men in the office went to great lengths to accommodate us when our travel plans changed. Also, it's quite handy (with a rental car) to anyplace you could ever want to go..shopping, bars and the like. We WILL be going back. It's just cute and we love it.

Room Tip: If you travel in a group and are just relaxing, consider the Plaza as your destination. And one of y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
EU
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

This property could be lovely, but it is not! Quality of accommodation is not in line with prices being charged. Very old furnishings, bed sheets and towels. We stayed 2 nights, the second we had no hot water for 24hrs. The management made no offer of refund or alternative accommodation. I had to go to a gym to shower which cost me $$$ and time.

I would not consider staying here again....

• Stayed January 2013
GrandPalmPlaza, General Manager at Grand Palm Plaza, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
We are sorry your stay with us was not to your satisfaction. We have gone to great lenghts to improve on all services, including purchasing new bed linens, towels, furniture, kitchen appliances and cutlery when possible.

We did offer shower services at our property next door that day when the hot water went out. I am sorry if that was not communicated to you. We hope you will give us another chance once the renovations take place.

Regards,
Edward, General Manager
Toldeo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was looking for a place to stay with with the only agenda being beach, pool, and relaxation. I stayed for a week, and the Palm Plaza was perfect for this. It is hard to believe that such a quiet place could be found so close to the beach.

Although the property is a little dated, it was clean, comfortable, and has all the necessary ammenities. The heated pool was great for a late night swim, and the apartment size refrigerator was great for all the leftovers from the nearby restaraunts.

My only complaint is - They should have talked me into staying longer.

Room Tip: First floor room - was nice to step out into the pool area without stairs
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Like the staff and location, but if you are planning to stay, be prepared to deal with mosquito, and don't expect to be treated as a queen that you are!!! :-) The facility is undergoing construction, hopefully it will be much better in few months. Didn't care for the old fashion TV, broken remote control, and old carpet, or the free orange juice and muffin. But the staff are very nice and friendly. And they allow us to check out late. We'll stay again if budget is a factor.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palm Plaza? Share your experiences!