“WAS GREAT!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale

You added The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale to your Saves list
The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   321 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #43 of 136 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
“WAS GREAT!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently and was pleased with the overall experience. Most of the time I chooose the Westin Hotel as they offer good value and most have the included breakfast in the package. The location of their hotels is also a prime making decision as to where to stay as most of their hotels are close to important sites or higways or shoppig malls.

Room Tip: Was great!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear loulou47: Thank you for your review! We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location and found value in your stay. We hope to see you again soon!

Complex Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Arabic first
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Honestly, I have to say that I did not have high hopes given the reviews I had read on Trip Advisor. I was actually tempted to change my hotel last minute after reading the reviews here, I was scared! As I am traveling for business, It was imperative I had the proper comfortable and stress-free environment to get my work done. I didn't want to have to deal with a dirty room, multiple inconveniences, or rude staff members as some of the reviews referred to. I travel frequently and I am definitely known to have discerning (some might say critical) tastes when it comes to my expectations during hotel stays.

Well the Westin delivered!!! My experience at the Westin has been memorable and pleasant from the start. I actually am still here and am writing this review from my room. I am wondering if I actually have to leave....

Two things stand out most to me: The unyielding courtesy and impeccable level of service provided by the staff, and the hardworking nature of the employees.

My stay began with an arrival to a stylishly appointed lobby and with prompt assistance with my luggage from the valets. From the very start, every staff member that I encountered was courteous and friendly. In fact, even in the heat and stifling humidity the hardworking valets eagerly greet you with a smile and ask how your stay is going - provided that they have a minute to breathe between their vigorous runs to get people's cars - gosh they work so hard!! Every single encounter with staff members has been pleasant and thoughtful. It seems as though it is each staff member takes a personal interest in making my stay as nice as it can be. At some other hotels I have been to lately this just isn't the case. Every and any call to the service desk (and I must admit I have called alot, with a variety of questions) was answered with courtesy, speed, and attention to detail.

The room was clean, and nicely maintained. Shondra (sp?), my housekeeping staff cleans my room with precision, respect for my belongings, and care. She is friendly to boot, and saw me struggling trying to get into my room because I was carrying too much and eagerly offered her assistance as I fumbled for my key.

I can't stay that this stay has been completely without glitch - but the true test of a hotel is not just whether they can provide good service when things are good, it is how they manage glitches when things go bad. My first room was not perfect. In fact, it looked at a wall - not what I expect when traveling to Florida. But I checked in late at night, so there were no other rooms available, stuff happens, I understood. I called the service desk on my a second day and they were able to change my room. After arranging the change, they quickly sent a luggage attendant to help me, and they called to follow up that the new room was to my liking - the whole thing was taken care of flawlessly and quickly by Akeem Robinson, the front desk attendant. Thank you Akeem. Tyrone, a pleasant and through luggage attendant happily helped me change rooms, with my oodles of luggage for my one weeks stay, a refrigerator I had requested, and a large bouquet of flowers that my husband had sent me. I was thankful for the help. The new room was lovely, with a nice view - perfect for the rest of my one week stay.

The shower clogged on the second day, I called and a very pleasant staff member arrived promptly (my hair hadn't even dried) and corrected the problem apologetically. The front desk staff called to follow up and make sure the problem had been taken care of - they called so quickly that the staff member who arrived hadn't even finished!

The bottom line is this: any hotel can provide a clean room, a nice lobby, and clean towels - but it's the impeccable service provided by the staff that sets this hotel apart from most others where I have stayed. I am a high maintenance traveler, I will admit that, but through all of my requests I have been treated with courtesy, respect, the staff's clear interest in ensuring my comfortable stay, and a genuine interest to please.

I can't comment on some of the other things mentioned by other reviewers - check out procedures or errors in billing as I am still here, but I have no doubt that everything will proceed with the same courtesy and attention to detail that I have enjoyed throughout my stay. So far, I just haven't had an experience that even resembles the poor reviews I had read here - so I doubt those other issues mentioned will have much substance either.

My only comment for improvement - there are suboptimal rooms in this hotel, my first assignment was one example, it faced an ivy covered wall and had no discernible view of even the sky. I do think that the hotel should recognize the lower quality of those rooms and offer the guest "stuck" in them some incentive to make up for their disappointment if they are assigned these rooms and are not lucky enough to have the opportunity to be reassigned - people come to the beach hoping for an ocean view, to get a view that doesn't even let sunlight in your room is fairly disappointing - spg points, a free breakfast, free Internet, a cheaper rate upon checking, something, anything that acknowledges to the guest the fact that the room is not what was expected would make those rooms a sweeter pill to swallow...

As for the negative reviews that I have seen here, I refer you to this poem about the Grumble family: "There's a family nobody likes to meet; They live, it is said, on Complaining Street, In the city of Never-Are-Satisfied, The River of Discontent beside. They growl at that and they growl at this; Whatever comes, there is something amiss; And whether their station be high or humble, They are all known by the name of Grumble..."

Well, there must be a bunch of Grumbles out there, because there is just nothing of substance that I can say that is negative about this hotel. Thank you, Westin and all the other staff members who have helped me and who I do not know by name, you have made my stay wonderful, and I will surely return if I have the opportunity to come back to Ft. Lauderdale Beach.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Having stayed at this Westin Many times since its conversion from the Sheraton, I am extremely disappointed to report the down hill slide of what I once would have said was a premier resort on the Fort Lauderdale A1A strip. In the past I have recommended this facility numerous times, now I can only say. Good luck and bring ear and nose plugs. First though the Good. The beds are still wonderful and provide for a great nights sleep if you have noise cancelling headphones or are deaf. I say this because a late night cleaning crew was cleaning the Mezz Annie area outside of one of our pool side rooms. They were asked at 1 am to please stop. At 2 am to knock it off and at 3 am my buddy Mike pulled their cords out of the wall. Why cleaning perhaps they were trying to remove the nauseating smell of fish from the hallway that runs by the new Sushi Bar. I love Sushi but would never eat where the rancid smell of fish greets you. Management seems to be the biggest issue. I should note POOR Management! Staff level employees from house keeping to bell hops to valets were great, but management changes seem to have put this hotel on the downward death spiral. As a note prior to this stay we spent five days at Casa Marina in KW with absolutely no problems. It is sad when you see so many good memories ruined by poor MANAGEMENT

Room Tip: Stay away from pool area and use south tower. Hold your nose when going past sushi restaurant
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Doug W: Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience at our resort. We're very sorry to hear about the cleaning incident and are passing your comments along for future improvements. We hope that you will decide to stay with us again, so that we may show you the true potential of The Westin Beach Resort & Spa!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed 5 days with our 3 yr old and had a great time. Being platinum memers we got a great suite with ocean view. Downside is no balcony, and no bathtub.
Valet staff is wonderful. Restaurant staff is hit and miss. Inconsistent and a couple of our orders both poolside and Shulas were mixed up. Waitresses not always super friendly. Management fixed the problem always though.
Kids club is great, but closed 3 days?? We came here for that so we were very disappointed.
Pool is ok. No real shallow end for kids so it's not very toddler friendly. Joe the pool guy is great, hard working.
Overall we loved our stay and the westin staff. Always a pleasure to stay at Westins!!!

• Stayed April 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My experience with valet and the luggage staff was excellent! Want to thank Storm, Zack Carneiro and Kevin B. and the Valet Mgr Felix for being so helpful. You made my stay awesome and gave me the wow factor.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear mara0029: What a great review! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us from your recent stay at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. We are thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful experience at our resort. I have also shared this review with Storm and the rest of our Valet/Bellman team, as it seems they have greatly contributed to making your stay even more relaxing and memorable. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Tamworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel as a post cruise stay. The cruise company had arranged a late check out (5pm) but the hotel claimed to know nothing about it. However, the did honour it. However on the last day we went out for lunch and when we came back we were locked out of our room. We has to wait for security to let us in once they had checked my ID. Apparently it is a system thing that locks you out after the normal check out time of 12 noon. Ridiculous. If it had been agreed the system should reflect this and not make us go through this rigmarole. There were lots of kids there and the pool was packed. That said the rooms were spacious and well appointed and we had a room in the south tower and toward the back. The view was of the air conditioning units. You might think this was bad but we had seen reports saying that a room on the front was noisy from traffic noise. We had no noise or interruptions and had a very peaceful night. I would stay he again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BrianLP: Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you faced during your late checkout, but we are happy to hear that the matter was resolved quickly. We greatly appreciate your comments and are looking forward to your next stay with us pre/post cruise.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I echo the sentiments of 341mayas. My husband and I stay at Westins all over the world because we have always found the service and the properties to be of high quality. The Westin Beach Resort property is nice but the staff and service were terrible. The biggest issue is that the bill is COMPLETELY wrong with charges for food we never ordered, and with a doubled room rate, and we still have not been called back as promised. Having called them multiple times now, we can not even get someone to answer the phone. During our stay the staff seemed to be irritated by guest requests, did not use good manners, and were generally rude. The rules about the chairs at the hotel pool were ridiculous, and despite being empty much of the day, staff would chase you out of them if you sat down. Apparently people reserved chairs whether or not they were at the pool. When you have kids, and are carting toys, etc. this is a real issue. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, and we will consider not booking at a Westin in the future.

Room Tip: Choose your room somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear RebeccaB157: We are sincerely disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your time at our resort. We take all of our guest's comments into consideration and are passing your thoughts along to each relevant department. We hope that you will decide to stay with us again, so that we may show you our true potential.