“Always a pleasure to come back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale

You added The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale to your Saves list
The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   321 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #37 of 135 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
New York City
“Always a pleasure to come back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

since this was apparently my 10th stay at the property (they knew on check in, I didn't), I think it's my turn for a trip report.

Background:
This was one of my most recent pain in the tuchus SPG bookings because of ever changing rates. By the hour it seemed. I finally got the Comfort rate via the hotel's spa site offers for three nights and an award night for Friday night when rates went from $189 to north of $400. I like the Westin, but not *that* much. If I wanted to pay even $200+, I'd have gone across the street to the W.

Arrival:
Arrived around 1pm after a flight and my repeat stays were acknowledged. As always, check in here is wonderful. She asked me if I had a particular desire to keep the two double-bed room I booked and I said no. She said then she could either give me a double bed/city view then or a king/water view later. Gee, tough choice. So I checked my bags and went to the beach/Las Olas. I was also offered an upsell at a very good rate to the poolside Lanai rooms, but I personally hate those. They're too noisy since the pool area is now open 24/7. This was an especially wise choice as there was a large meeting at the hotell full of < 40 year old men acting like frat boys. "Cannonball!"

Room:

Ended up in 949 in the North tower. South facing King with view of the Intracoastal and the Ocean. Best of both worlds. I've been in x49 before and it's one I like. Only down side is you're right above the air compressor which is rather loud when the sliding door is open. Luckily, I'm not one to sit in my room with the door open - I'd rather be outside. Usual Westin Heavenly Beds, rain shower with half glass and enough towels to wash and dry all of FT a few times over. I love the rain shower but don't care for the half glass as there is always water on the floor and I hate leaving a mess.

Other Hotel:

Pool: Ray and Joe are both wonderful. Joe has been there as long as I've been going down there (before it was re-flagged as a Westin). He has a great memory and great customer service.

Waves: still overpriced. Actually more over priced then it was last stay earlier this year and I think the quality has gone down. The staff used to make regular rounds of the pool chairs to take orders and deliver a plate/tray - now it's all in plastic to go and you need to walk up to order. Not a problem - but not a nice change.

Shula's: breakfast was included in my room so I went. It's a fancier and heartier breakfast than I would normally eat - but the portions were good and it was delicious. The way it works is that there's a $50 breakfast credit to the room (it's meant to be for two) so you can order what you want. I didn't find their menu extensive (and lurker's lobster egg benedict is no longer on it) but there were more than enough choices.

Workout room: small, but not at all crowded so minimal machines weren't an issue at all. There are 4 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, two recumbent bikes, one stationary bike (no partridge in a pear tree though). Some free weights and a few nautilus machines. Not enough to do a hardcore workout but more than enough to get a workout in while away.

Misc: shop is overpriced, go to CVS at Beach Place for anything you need. Bigger shops are at the mall a mile or two away.

Didn't use: Starbucks, business center, meeting rooms.

Service:

To me, it's the service at the Westin that makes it my favorite hotel to stay in when in FLL area and not staying with family. Yes, the Diplomat is nice but Westin is in a more walkable area. Is the W a little newer and trendier, yes. But the service isn't there - and yeah, the Sheraton is a relic that needs a magic wand. I've never stayed at the Westin Fort Lauderdale up by the mall as my interests when in FLL are the ocean so no opinion on that one. Service was 99.9% great. Although I'm not a plat, I feel like a plat at this hotel.

This extra touch is part of what I love about the hotel. Stacy the concierge made about 6 calls for me to find a bar that had Saints/Falcons when I'd have been happy with the names/numbers of the bars and I'd have done the leg work.

Checking out was a slight disappointment. Was denied late checkout for the first time ever at Starwood, status or not.

Area:
This is about half a mile north of Las Olas, Beach Place and the Fort Lauderdale beach strip. It's about 2 minute walk in either direction to the W and the Ritz. The hotel isn't on the beach, but there's an easy walkway from pool level. There is a LOT of beach erosion stemming from Sandy and the other storms. They're apparently working on it, but it's a sad mess. There are real concerns about the beach and AIA and they're working on this.

Beach Place/ Las Olas MUCH quieter than I expected but I guess with schools in this week it really was off peak. Most of the places were open but a few were still "closed for the seaon". Some empty stalls at Beach Place but lots of choices to eat/drink/play, etc. If you're an NFL fan, it can be hard to find a place with NFL Network to watch the game. Finally lucked out at Dirty Blonde's as Fat Tuesday's and Lulu's in Beach Place didn't have it. I didn't have an interest in Hooters. My kingdom for a sushi joint on the strip.

Room Tip: You want a water view. The city view really isn't a view of anything. Pool side Lanai rooms are...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
  • Arabic first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was my 2nd time at this hotel. I booked it due to the great prices, amazing bed, SPG/Westin service and location on the beach. The hotel lived up to all the important principles I need on a vacation. The valet was slow with cars even when calling ahead, slow being 5-15 rather than 5 minutes. We called in advance every time. Otherwise great service, great gym, great location, great price, great bed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear PragueAmerican: Welcome back to The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale! It sounds like you had a wonderful time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future to our oceanfront property!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

From the moment we pulled up to the hotel we knew the service would be great.The Valet was right there to help with a smile.The checkin process was flawless.
We went to our room which was spotless and found ourselves with an ocean view.The staff was always available to us with a smile.
We spent quite a bit of time by the pool and beach and this staff was also very helpful.
Just for the record some of my reviews in other places have been tough,so it takes a lot to please me.
I would recommend this hotel for a perfect weekend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Middletown, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

The Weston beach resort ft lauderdale offered five star accommodations at an affordable price. Whether a young family vacationing with kids, a couple on there honeymoon or a big group of friends, this unique hotel suits everyone. Perfectly located right on the beach, and excellent food located on the premises or nearby there is always plenty to do.

• Stayed July 2012
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I had a great long weekend stay here. All the staff were extremely helpful and nice, especially Tamara Bell at the front desk. She consistently went "above and beyond" to answer our questions and ensure we were comfortable. Also, Ray (by the pool) always found us a nice spot in the sun. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear S_Grazer: Thank you for sharing such wonderful comments with us about your recent stay at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale, they are much appreciated. We hope to see you and your husband again sometime soon for another relaxing Westin stay!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Hotel has a some rooms with nice view if you get lucky. Nothing guaranteed as they change your room upon Checkin, as they desire.
Unbelievable that they charge for Internet abusingly high and acccept your car only for Valet and on a daily charge of USD 28.00. No Breakfast included.
Any other Hotel in the area offers complimentary Internet, Parking and mostly Breakfast is included also.
Sorry, but it sucks. The way to the room is to walk half a mile inside the two bulidings with 2 diferent elevators. Depends on location of your room.
Receptionist does not know how to read a Passport and where to find the names.
I recomend to choose any other Hotel with complimentary services. Easy to find and for sure cheaper.

Room Tip: Choose any other Hotel with complimentary services. Easy to find and for sure cheaper.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear WorldTravelerPOK: Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us regarding your recent stay at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. Your suggestions are very important to us, as we are always looking for ways to improve the quality of our products. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to be able to welcome you back again soon!

Hawkesbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Being a Starwood platinum member I still like to read the review prior to booking a hotel stay and this hotel was up to the vast majority of previous reviews. Arrived and was very cordially greeted at the door and then at the front desk, it was too early to be checked in but they still offered their help.
Unfortunately I can't remember the manager or assistant manager at the front desk but she was great, I had preciously tried to be upgraded to a suite and she offered to see what she could do since the hotel was full, ended up I received the upgrade, it was great.
Very well located, close to restaurants and shops, bus stop, trolley stop right at the hotel adn the free complimentary lounge chairs were very appreciated on the beach.
I guess the only negative but wasn't a big one since we were not in a hurry anyhow, was the service at the restaurant (Shula's) as mentioned by a few others but the food was great, a little expensive but it is a resort hotel after all.
Would definitely go back when in Fort Lauderdale.
One last remark, i'm not good with remembering names but the person who took care of our room during our stay (five nights) was great and made certain we didn't miss anything, sorry for not remembering your name.

Room Tip: Any room with an ocean view is great, we had room 1117 and every morning we would open the patio doo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SusanLuc: Thank you for sharing your wonderful review about your recent stay at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. It sounds like you had a wonderful time with us and we are so glad to hear that our staff went above and beyond to make your stay even more relaxing. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and thank you for your continued patronage to SPG!

Complex Marketing Manager

Been to The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!