“Generally....worked for us!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale

You added The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale to your Saves list
The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   321 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 (Central Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #35 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
New Jersey
“Generally....worked for us!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 4-night stay. Many things that I liked - easy access to the beach via the skywalk, nice fitness room and great access to Starbucks (mainly for my coffee-addicted husband!). Very comfortable beds and quiet rooms...once inside my room, I really didn't hear anything around me. Also, very convenient in terms of accessing restaurants and bars in the area....you can walk to local spots! Room was adequately sized and clean, although the hallway carpet was a bit dirty (very old dried gum on carpet outside of our room - 842...FYI to the manager if you read these reviews!). I did find the bathroom door and sliding opening a bit weird. Even after five years of marriage, I can do without that much openness! I have to agree with another reviewer regarding the small pool and rough towels...no matter where you go, kids will take over the pool...fact of life! But we preferred the beach anyway. I wasn't thrilled about the valet parking fee, but I think that it's pretty standard in that area. FYI, there really aren't any other reasonably close options. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay...and got a decent rate off of the internet, but I may want to check out another hotel when I return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
sinceresfbh, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dear NewJerseyLadyCB: Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your recent stay at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. We are thrilled to hear you had such a great time and enjoyed everything from our outlets, to our beautiful beach and the comfort of our heavenly guestrooms. Rest assured, I have notified our housekeeping department about the gum and it will be removed right away. Again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to beautiful Fort Lauderdale Beach!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Arabic first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Being on a business trip meant we didn't see much of the local area, but the beach views across the street were fantastic (in North Tower). Hotel staff were great, particularly Julio in the Business Center. All the food was delicious, always very well presented and great serving staff. My only criticism would be the aggressively cold AC throughout the hotel (I was cold even wearing a jacket indoors), and the AC unit in the bedroom was very noisy.

Room Tip: Select North Tower with beach views
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Facility is nice, right on the beach
I cannot say the same for the service; I was greated with an arrogant/"look how cheap this guy is" "there is no parking around here, just valet (US$25/DAY!!!)
Restaurants are way too expensive for the quality of food provided.
Swimming pool is small and gets very crowded from early in the morning.
Definitely a place I won't be back to

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dear Dravizza: Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. Please accept our sincere apologies, as the service you received is unacceptable and certainly not the Westin experience we aim to provide our guests. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate your honesty. Thank you again for your feedback.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

On a business trip, we stayed at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa in Fort Lauderdale for a week and were extremely pleased. The rooms were quite well appointed (except for lack of privacy in the bathroom - there are louvered doors for the main door and window in the bathroom and the shower is an open concept, as well.) and we very much enjoyed our stay - especially our spectacular view of the ocean from a top floor. Shula's Steakhouse was amazing, as always. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
sinceresfbh, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Dear Pasoporaqui: Thank you for sharing your review and taking the time to write about your hotel experience. We are delighted to hear you had such a wonderful time and enjoyed your ocean view guestroom. The views are stunning and provide for a very relaxing stay, perfect to help clear your mind from a busy day at work. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Had a great time at the Westin. Location is excellent for the kids. Just across from the beach with the pool on the level with the bridge that goes over the road to the beach. We loved getting up and walking over to the beach and then in the afternoon walking back and spending time at the pool before heading up to our room to get ready for dinner. Just a few blocks of an easy walk down to a CVS and many restaurant options. Room was nice. I'm a light sleeper and didn't have any noise issues. We stayed in the North tower on the 7th floor with a partial ocean view. Beds were comfortable. Bathroom was okay, but as many have mentioned the louvered door and window were a bit odd. Didn't cause a problem for us, though. Also went to the gym which was very nice and had an excellent view of the morning sunrise over the beach. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Just got back from a 2 night weekend stay with my family (2 adults, 2 kids under 8). Very pleased overall. The room was nice (we had a standard with 2 doubles). We were upgraded to an ocean view on the top floor due to my husband's SPG status and it was an amazing view, though we were very thankful for the sun blocking curtains in the morning! The louvered bathroom door and window didn't bother us a bit, and my kids thought the window thingy was fabulous. The bathroom and room had nice decor and were pretty clean, though there were a few icky stains on the rug. Valet and pool attendants were very kind and professional. Pool servers were polite but kind of slow and the food (not surprisingly) was overpriced and not so great. Unfortunately the front desk staff (a young lady) seemed really put out checking us in. They charged us for our free upgrade and after promising to fix it, they still charged us incorrectly, so make sure to double check your bill. As with most resorts on the South Florida beaches, there are plenty of extra fees, so be ready for $25 for valet per day, plus other stuff. Pool was nice and cold on a very hot day and my kids had a great time with other kids there, though there is no fun stuff and space is limited. Some rowdy kids and trendy wannabe young adults were a bit annoying. The hotel hallways were warm and musty and there was an all over old smell to the place. Also, the bath towels felt horrible.....like an old rug on the floor of a thrift shop or something. So rough, old and unpleasant to use. The beds were SUPER comfy and I've never slept so well in a hotel. Loved the Starbucks and their oatmeal worked great for us for an affordable, tasty breakfast. Good people watching too. The hotel was in a nice location to walk to stuff and we caught a quick bike cab back one night which was fun. We'd definitely go back despite my few complaints.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Whitquinn: Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your recent stay at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. We are thrilled to hear you and your family had such a pleasant vacation and enjoyed our outlets, guestrooms, and service at our outdoor pool. Please know we have shared your review with the rest of our team, to ensure your suggestions are addressed regarding the smell of the hallways and bathroom towels. We are always looking for ways to improve our product and appreciate your honesty. Again thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to beautiful Fort Lauderdale Beach and our refreshing beachfront retreat!
Bay Area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed here before we left on our cruise. We had a long flight from California and wanted to head up to our room to enjoy a cocktail. When we got to the room there was no mini bar and we could only get a drink down by the lobby area. I really just wanted to enjoy getting ready for dinner with a cocktail but since this is not an option I quickly threw on a change of clothes and headed to Shula's (the restaurant inside the hotel) Shula's was amazing! You can read more about it on my Shula's review.
The room itself was nice but I have to say the bathroom had a door with a built in wooden shade so it's not a solid door. You can hear everything so modesty isn't an option, lol. The way the shower is built it gets water all over the bathroom floor and soaks into the carpet.
Overall I would stay here again but I wouldn't pay more than $200. I loved the Starbucks in the hotel and the gym was so nice. It faces the ocean and has a perfect view. I watched the sunrise while running on the treadmill, a perfect way to start my day. The staff is also nice and I love the heavenly bed!
So this travel agent will stay here again=D

Room Tip: The bathrooms do not have solid doors so modesty is not an option
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Holleyttr: Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay at our resort. We are thrilled that you chose our hotel as your pre-cruise destination and glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Regarding the louvered doors, we have received other reviews about this and are currently looking into options that would help increase privacy in the bathrooms. We hope you had a wonderful cruise and we look forward to your next visit to The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale.

Been to The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale? Share your experiences!