“Classic gem on Las Olas” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   620 E. Las Olas Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301   |
Ranked #23 of 135 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newport, Rhode Island
“Classic gem on Las Olas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

The Riverside is an excellent choice on Las Olas Blvd, Ft. Lauderdale, especially if you like to just walk out the door of your hotel & enjoy a great stroll to restaurants, galleries & fine shops. We've stayed at Riverside often over the years - but the many improvements, upgrades & the addition of new rooms while maintaining its "old Florida" charm. This totally non-smoking hotel is a lovely, in-town choice - quiet & restful. This time we stayed in the new tower ... our room was very spacious & well-appointed w/ all the amenities you could need including DSL plug in for your laptop. If not carrying a laptop, they also have a business center w/ 2 desks w/ PC's, wireless internet & printers. The entire hotel is spotlessly clean, decor is soft & tropical in tone, tile floors shine, all the staff are superb, exceedingly polite & professional. Check-in is smooth. Plenty of parking available inside or out, with or without valet. Great on-site bar & restaurants ... can recommend the Grille Room for fine al fresco dining; Indigo Restaurant is lovely too - they even serve high tea! Their pricing is on the higher side (we spent about $225 per night for a river view room w/ 2 queens), but well worth it . Riverside is an south Florida "classic" with lots of history & charm, beautiful interior spaces & outside gardens, close to all attractions by foot, bus, car or trolley -- a perfect choice for a quiet business or leisure stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

Was given room in older building. Had read reviews but decided to go with the cheaper option. Small clean and filled my needs. Although this establisment is a little expensive its position is great. They offer FREE internet and printing in their business centre. Only gripe was the lack of local knowledge the staff had. As their Irish bar had been closed down to build another accom block I inquired as to other bars or restaurants near but not on the blvd. No idea. There is a Irish bar/rest, Tarpin bar/rest on second st and a famous old tavern across the bridge. All well worth the visit. Beware of the new kid on the block when it comes to water taxi. This new express taxi goes only to the beach and when asked if he goes to sunset or pier 66 he gets rude. The yellow repeat the yellow taxi is the one that goes everywhere. Highly recommend but not shopping at Galleria as same shops elsewhere in USA. The beach is great with all the sights you can expect to see on a sun drenched sandy beach. You can get a tatoo if you like at the many shops. Was here for two nights pre cruise, just what the doctor ordered. Stayed at Hyatt ,pier 66,after, review following. Not so good.

• Liked — Tidy
  • Disliked — The closure of the Irish bar
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

This hotel was a terrible disappointment. Historical--very--as in left in the past. I was given a room in the older part of the hotel--also with no option to upgrade for several days--not withstanding the reservation which stated otherwise--as a consolation prize I was given a free drink. The rooms are SO loud. The tile floors in the hall make the sound resonate. I was in two rooms during my stay until I finally gave up and moved to the much improved Hampton Inn. At the Riverside, 539 is a larger room with a double--but I had to move due to noise--no mini bar and no internet. My second room, 236, had plug in internet--not wireless as advertised--and it was the size of a small shoebox. It was also next to the cleaning closet--very noisy all day. The water in both rooms was extremely yellow and the noise unbearable. The front desk clerk was also unprofessional and extreme. I was at this hotel on business and I cannot imagine how any business traveler sleeps here easily. The day manager was apologetic and seemed to understand why I was upset. He offered to move me--again--but I had already given up. Go elsewhere! Save yourself the trouble.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Promises not kept, Small, dingy.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a short winter getaway. We were given a room in the older section and were pleasantly surprised at how modern it looked. Our room faced the courtyard and was noisy at times but the unseasonably cold weather kept most people inside. I could foresee a noise problem if the weather was warmer as it is a popular place for people to hang out outside. We required assistance twice and both times service was prompt and friendly. My only complaint was that we got to the hotel around 11:30 and were told our room wasn't ready and that check in is at 3:00. We watched as guest after guest checked in and got room keys. It was very frustrating to watch. I understand check in wasn't until 3 but I have a hard time believing that none of the other numerous guest who got their rooms right away didn't also have a standard king room. We finally got our room at 2:50pm. Overall, good hotel and great location on Las Olas.

• 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

My husband and I found the Riverside Hotel by chance meeting with the crew of the of the tour boat the Carrie B. They recommended the Riverside to us after we told them the hotel we were booked into was dirty and unacceptable.

The minute we walked into the Riverside... they welcomed up with open arms. They arranged for a car to help us pick up our luggage several miles away.

Our room was beautiful and immaculate. Our stay included a delicious breakfast at the Indigo Restaurant (overlooking the quaint shops on Las Olas Blvd.) plus a voucher for a free cocktail in the lounge.

The pool was spotless and relaxing.

Everything about the hotel was lovely. Every staff member who we dealt with was outstanding... especially Casey ( may be Carrie-sorry, if I get it wrong) at the front desk.

We liked the hotel so much we booked a second night... when we returned from our cruise. Again, the service was top notch!

We will definitely make this our hotel of choice when we stay in Fort Lauderdale.

• Liked — Outstanding staff and wonderful historic hotel in prime location
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

There are two separate buildings constituting this hotel, a newer and an older facility. I was placed in the older one with no option to upgrade or move over. Big mistake. The room still has the motel-type AC unit in the room. The problem is that the hotel inserted some type of “air-freshener” device in the vents so that when the AC kicked on, the disinfectant covers the room’s natural musky odor. Of course, the problem is that after a few times of kicking on, the air-freshener now becomes the debilitating smell. While I have been in small rooms on business travel, I never had to crawl under the desk just to plug in my computer. The only other outlets were behind the bed and television. The bathroom is very small and shower nozzle inadequate. I could not even steam my pants with the bathroom shower since the hotel uses the hangars with the small hooks (so you will not steal them) which will not attach to anything in the bathroom. Finally, I could not even get up and work out my frustration since the fitness center, I was told, was four blocks away ( a stroll I did not wish to take before sun rise). Maybe the newer building is better.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Too many to list
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ormond Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

This is a great location, but the rest of our experience was very bad. We pulled in last Thurs. night just before midnight after a great night of watching our Florida Gators win the National Championship in football at the stadium just 10 or 15 miles to the south. What should have been a quick drive took about 45 minutes because I forgot my directions and relied on someone at the front desk to give me directions from the turnpike to the Broward Blvd. exit. I finally relized that there is no such exit after driving up and down the turnpike and numerous calls to the front desk where the person on duty seemed very annoyed with me. After pulling in I unloaded my own bags onto a bell-hop cart in front of the valet attendant and the bell-hop who were involved in a conversation with what appeared to be an off duty coworker. They offered to help when I had all the bags on the cart and was in the lobby. I told them no thanks and parked my own car in the parking garage. We then entered the lobby which was lovely and made our way to our "historic" room in the old section where a window was open and the AC unit was rattling. The "Historic" parts of this room were the walls (Circa 1935),the tile (Circa 1975) and the carpet (Circa 1985). Not what I expected for $200+. We unpacked and walked down Los Olas to the Floridian Cafe that was open all night and had awesome french toast and coffee before heading to bed. We checked out early and headed to the FL Keys.

This is the part when I decided that I would write my first bad review. My fiancee relized that she left her hanging bag in the closet after we were about an hour down the road. I thought no problem. I will just call the Hotel and tell them that we will pick it up on our way back the following day. I called the front desk who transferred me to a security officer who told me that he would have housekeeping look and he would call me back IF it was still there. He then hung up before I could tell him that I hadn't officially checked out yet and that it must still be there. After I didn't hear anything for 20 min. I called back to speak with a manager and got a front desk supervisor who was unaware of situation and said she would send someone from housekeeping to look. I asked her to handle it personally and asked to be transferred to THE manager, but got his voicemail. After a numder of calls to security they finally confirmed that they had the bag. This was frustrating as ever because they kept telling me that they would call me right back and they never did.
When we returned to get the bag the following day it took more tha a half hour for the security agent to come to the front desk with it. I never encountered a soul who acted like they cared about the guests or the job that they were doing at anytime during the experience.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Brain Dead Staff!
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!