“Great hotel, but pay for the room upgrade...” 4 of 5 stars

Riverside Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   620 E. Las Olas Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301   |
Ranked #23 of 133 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Sarasota, Florida
“Great hotel, but pay for the room upgrade...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stay here every year. You can't get a better location for great restaurants - right on Las Olas Boulevard...

The staff are super friendly and polite and are always very welcoming...

We recommend paying for an upgrade to the towers; the rooms are significantly better than the standard rooms.

One thing we don't like is the $10 charge a day for a fridge in the room; a hotel of this calibre should provide this services for free (especially as we stay every year at this hotel!)...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Hi Floridabrits,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor! We're so grateful to have your business and company every year! We're doing a room makeover in both towers this year and we truly look forward to your feedback! If you have not gotten the chance yet we also suggest you try the Wild Sea Oyster Bar & Grille downstairs, will not disappoint!

Kristi
Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Orange County, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Arrived in room 1218 late at night after a long flight. Was greeted by a bloody shower curtain (picture attached). Pulled down the cover on one of the two double beds to find black stains all over the sheets and pillow cases. Decided to take those sheets and pillowcases off and put on the sheets and pillowcases from the other bed. So stripped the bed down to the mattress pad which was literally covered with detritus. I don't know know what it was, but it was so obvious you had to see it when (if) you changed the sheets. Ripped off the mattress pad, too. Went to the other bed and turned down the cover to find the same thing. Every sheet, every pillow case had stains on it, every single one. I went to the closest and found a plastic bag with a pillow and a blanket in it. Took those out. Pillow had black stains and blanket had yellow stains. It was also obvious that they had not vacuumed the room as there was detritus all over the carpet. It was late and I was in my pajamas so I just dealt with it. The other problems with the room included: no luggage rack, stickers from toilet paper roll were stuck on the toilet handle, and there was no pad of paper or pen. But I could live with all of those things as long as I just had clean sheets. In the morning, I called the housekeeping manager and met with him and showed him all of the problems. He said they would clean it. I left. And what did they do? They cleaned the room, the sheets were clean but had holes in them, and there was no token, no apology, not even a bottle of water. (I had to take my pills with warm water from the tap - the water just would not get cold; good thing I washed the glass.) I talked to a lady two days later at the hotel who had a similar experience with a dirty room.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Hi Ducs,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are deeply sorry your experience was as described and all information was shared with our Managers. This type of comment is rare for our hotel and we take it very seriously. We request that you share all details with our Guest Services Manager, Michael, at mdimartino@riversidehotel.com.

We truly hope to see you back in the future for a much kinder experience.

Kristi
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed here last night at the recommendation of a friend when we were in town for business. It has a great location on the New River and although was built in the 1930's has been completely updated. Our room was great and super comfortable bed. Bathroom small in keeping with when it was built, but perfectly adequate. Great bar and restaurant (Indigo) right in the hotel, which we opted for as the weather was very rainy. Did not disappoint. But there are lots of other options on Los Olas Blvd. close by. The only reason I am not giving it a higher rating is the lack of direction where to park or how to get to the valet. We pulled up at the Los Olas entrance, which is what appears to be the main entrance to the hotel, but it is actually around the back. It would be good to have signs in front how to get to the hotel valet, but there were none. So I had to get out in the rain and took about another 10 minutes to figure out what to do. There is also a parking garage around back if you don't want to valet ($23 a night which we thought was high) but again no direction how to get there. So the check in and car park experience was less than great but hotel itself and restaurant we have no complaints.

Room Tip: we were on top floor and very quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hi Michele,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor! We're thrilled you enjoyed yourself at the hotel and were able to enjoy our dining as well. We truly appreciate the suggestion for parking directions and we're sorry that you were confused! We hope to see you back soon when the sun is shining!

Burlington, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

This hotel is wonderful and very reasonably priced. Great restaurants right on the blvd. Rooms are spacious and clean. Breakfast was great. They upgraded us to a balcony room with a fabulous view. Ate dinner right across the street at Johnny V excellent food.

Room Tip: Ask for the new tower rooms they are better than the old section.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Hi CareBear4844,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor! We are thrilled you had a such a wonderful stay and got to enjoy our beautiful balcony rooms! Also, how fantastic and classy is Johnny V? We cannot wait for your next visit and we encourage you to try out our seafood restaurant, Wild Sea Oyster Bar and Grille!

Gaithersburg, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

If you are looking for a hotel away from the beach and in the heart of the Las Olas restaurant/bar area, this hotel is a good choice. However, I was a little disappointed in the condition of the hotel and some things it lacked. Other reviews have indicated that the "old tower" is not as nice as the new tower - and I must agree. I stayed in the older section of the hotel and I was not impressed. Things start off with a cramped elevator ride, dark and dingy hallways, and a lingering musty odor. My room was adequate at best. The furnishings were either very old or faux antiques -- I couldn't tell. My biggest complaint: why can't a hotel that likes to think it is a "luxury" hotel provide beds with fitted sheets??!! Each night my bed was made up with a top sheet that was either too short at the top or too short at the bottom. Of course it wouldn't stay tucked in the sides, so by the middle of the night, I was wrestling with a loose sheet and touching the nasty bed cover underneath. Come on -- spend a few bucks and buy fitted sheets! My other complaint was a lack of hot water. My first morning my shower was luke warm at best -- and this was at 6:30am! Oh, and because of the tile floors and gaps under the doors, you can hear everything coming from the adjacent rooms!

The only reason why I didn't give this hotel a lower rating was because the staff was very friendly and professional -- and the air conditioner worked great (nice and cool)!

So while the location of this hotel was fine, the condition and amenities were lacking which was disappointing.

Hi TerpTraveler55,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor! We take all critical reviews very seriously and we're deeply sorry about the pain points of your room. This year we are actually doing a major makeover and renovation of both of our towers - Executive and Classic. We would love and appreciate your return next year to give us your feedback, we think you'll love it! If you would not mind, we'd love for you to send the details of your stay and which room you were in to our Guest Service Manager, Michael, at mdimartino@riversidehotel.com.

frankfort,ky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel many times.
The location is on a main street in Ft Lauderdale, FL.
The tower corner rooms with balcony are excellent, although a bit pricey.
The Indigo dining room is good for breakfast (outside) and is very pleasant.
Be careful at the Golden Lyon Bar and be sure to be advised when Happy Hour begins and ends as the charges will vary considerably.
The public rooms are very handsome, the pool area is a bit of a disgrace as it is untended.
This is a handsome hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hi Miamisaks,

Thank you so much for your feedback on TripAdvisor! We're thrilled you enjoyed our lovely balcony and breakfast at Indigo! Typically, we always have a pool attendant and are very sorry you experienced an off-day. We would love to see you back on your next stay in Fort Lauderdale and encourage you try our impeccable new restaurant, Wild Sea Oyster Bar and Grille.

Spearfish, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

doy·enne
noun \dȯi-ˈ(y)en, dwä-ˈyen\
: a woman who has a lot of experience in or knowledge about a particular profession, subject, etc.

This 75 year-old Ft. Lauderdale property that anchors the hip, chic, and busy Las Olas District is a very nice place to stay... it almost feels like a private club.

Classic "Old Florida" architecture and design, polite staff, great food and booze, and a really interesting cross-section of guests. If you enjoy meeting other travelers who are up to something in their lives, you'll like this place.

This was our first stay and we were here for two nights prior to our embarkation for a Royal Caribbean Cruise to Belize and Cozumel.

We booked our reservation about a month ago via the Stash Rewards program.

Stash Rewards is a hotel loyalty program that is used by some of the finer "boutique" hotels around the country. Even though our stay was right in the middle of high-season here in South Florida, we had no problem securing our King-bedded room. I just love it when things work the way they should :)

Michael DiMartino, Guest Services Manager was very helpful in finalizing our arrangements and Daniel Mera, a staff Concierge, was very gracious in organizing our private shuttle transportation from the airport to the hotel, in advance.

We arrived about 9 PM on a Thursday evening; Terry Perugini, the Front Desk Supervisor, got us checked-in quickly and politely without any glitches. We were up in our room in the old original section of the hotel in about a minute.

Right after we got into our room (#215), Javier, one of the bellmen, arrived with our 4 heavy bags and got us set-up in the room and then he went and fill our ice bucket for us... nice touch!

Our room was on the smallish side, but nicely appointed with the requisite wide screen TV, desk, and mini-bar.

The bathroom was small, but again nicely appointed with good toiletries.

Our only real issue with our room was a lack of extra electrical outlets.

I travel with a laptop, an iPhone, an iPad, and a digital camera. My wife travels with her own iPhone and iPad. Ergo, we need about six (6) outlets to charge everything up instead of having to leapfrog our charging units around two available sockets. Yes, the room was older, but there are multi-plug outlet devices available that should be installed. Like it or not, many of us are tethered to our personal electronic devices; hotels need to proactively accommodate those needs.

Our room was clean, tidy, and quiet. The mattress was very comfortable. The decor was a bit dated, but we were told that this section of the hotel is scheduled to be refurbished later this year.

After unpacking, we went down to Golden Lyon Vintage Pub just off the Lobby.

Food is served in the bar until 10 PM.

I ordered a Cosmo Martini (very well made) and my wife had a glass of Pino Grigio wine. We also ordered the fried Calamari appetizer; it was excellent with a generous portion and a nice gently spiced tomato-based dipping sauce.

If you are an early riser, there is no coffee service available in the Lobby until 6:30 AM, although there is a Starbucks a couple of blocks down on Las Olas Boulevard, to the left, if you really need your java fix right away.

As soon as the sun came out, we walked across the street to the hotel's private swim club to enjoy the warm weather. Private and cozy, this is an ideal hideaway to peacefully catch some rays while watching very expensive yachts cruise by on the adjacent canal... very cool!

Our pool attendant/bartender was JoAnne, who could not have been more polite, helpful, and considerate. Even though she is apparently a relatively new hire, it's very obvious she has an "owner's eye" and knows how to attend to her guests; bravo!

JoAnne is a very capable bartender (she has a full bar at her disposal in the pool house) and she made me two drinks - a quite excellent Long Island Iced Tea and later, a Gin and Tonic; decent pours with both drinks. We also ordered a fish dip appetizer which was served with lavosh crackers; it was simply fresh, very mild, and outstanding; we'd absolutely order it again.

It's so nice to stay in a non-formulaic chain hotel.

The Riverside really IS the "anchor" for the Las Olas District.

We thoroughly enjoyed walking up and down the boulevard for several blocks on both sides taking in the sights, sounds, and smells of Ft. Lauderdale's happening design and arts district. There are quite literally dozens of bars, restaurants, sidewalk cafes, art galleries, clothing, and jewelry stores all within a 10 minute walk. The people watching is great too!

My wife and I were both very pleased with the interesting variety of guests from all over that this property attracts. We had some great conversations with others staying here; if you are bored... its your own fault :)

Tip: Be sure to go directly across the street and check out the well-designed and reasonably affordable jewelry and watches at Silver Street International. Bill and Ruth Miller are the proprietors (they've been there for 20 years) and they really have some cool stuff. I bought myself a well-designed Danish Bering men's watch for under $200 and my wife got a very nice necklace and pendant for about the same amount.

All in all, we had a great time at the Riverside and we look forward to our next visit.

Hi Sam Kephart,

Thank you for your generous feedback on TripAdvisor! We cannot thank you enough for your detailed response, we may just have to share on social media :) We would be delighted to see you back on your next trip to Fort Lauderdale and suggest you try our seafood restaurant, Wild Sea Oyster Bar and Grille!

Marketing Manager

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!