“Location and history” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 134 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Houston, Texas
“Location and history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Riverside Hotel was opened in 1917, and its oldest rooms are on floors 2 and 3. I had a large corner room on 3 with a walk-in closet, overlooking Las Olas, a great shopping street in Fort Lauderdale. The down side was that the room temperature was hard to regulate, the bathroom was a bit small, and the shower was the hand-held type. But the service was good and the breakfast al fresco was huge. There is a newer tower, which may have quite different rooms, as well five slips that can accomodate boats up to 150' -- just in case you need to tie up to get some laundry and dry cleaning done.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Good Day,
I appreciate that you enjoyed the historical aspect of our hotel and also pointed out our marina. We are very happy that you received great service and that our alfresco Breakfast was to your liking.

714 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Chipping Norton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We have just returned from 2 cruises from Fort Lauderdale and we had 4 days between the first and second so having stayed 1 year ago we decided to book again. Last time we had a room in the excecutive tower which was great and we enjoyed every minute but although we booked in August we were told the excecutive tower wasnot availble so we settled for a classic room.
Upon arrival we were given a room on the second floor even though our booking confimation stated "third floor" . When we entered the room it looked okay but when we looked out of the window there was a concrete waal immediately in front which was to the height of half way up the glass area which supporte a flat roof which had, what I assumed to be, a large air conditioning unit on the top. There would have been more natural light in a prison cell.
We returned to reception and told them the room was unacceptable and were immediately offered another room on the third floor,room no.331. The room looked fine and we unpacked and all was well until we later decided to have a bath when we found the bath plug did not fit tight and to remedy this my wife ended up unwinding human hair from around the plug and to make matters worse we could only fill the bath via the shower which took a longer time and limited how hot the water could be. The device which changes the route of the water on the bath tap was totally inoperable.
I complained to reception 3 times and each time was told it would be dealt with but it never was. The room was stuffy and very hot but the airconditioning sounded more like an express train making sleep virtually impossible and if we opened the window there was a flag immediately outside which sounded like a whip cracking in the wind.

Another offputting feature was that the 2 lfts that served the part of the building we were in had what appeared to be dirty carpets and had the same recogniseable dusty debris on the floor on the day we left as on the day we arrived.

THis is still a lovely hotel in a great position but my advice would be, "if you are unable to book the excecutive tower dont go"

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Good Day,
Much appreciate you staying with us again, but I am a bit embarrassed that we did not fulfill our service promise to provide you the same quality. I have shared your comments with my team and we have implemented immediate action steps for improvement.

Las Cruces
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I enjoy this hotel enough that I've stayed here twice within 10 months. Love the location on Las Olas amid nice restaurants and shops. Overlooks scenic river. Hotel is a quick taxi ride from airport and from hotel to cruise port. I have always stayed in an upgraded tower room which is very spacious and has balcony view of the river. Bedding is excellent.

Room Tip: If you want a spacious room with view and balcony, pay for upgrade ($30) to tower.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Good Day,
Welcome back and I am thrilled to see that you have enjoyed your stay once again. My team was so pleased to see the perfect rating on this tripadvisor.

Davenport, IA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Pool is across the street from the hotel and there is no pool side food or beverage service. No hot tub. Pricey and a little too "old" fashioned for our taste. Close to Los Olas and all the cool shops and restaurants but they were all very expensive. Check you check out bill - had extra added as tips "typing error".

Room Tip: Choose the executive tower.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Good Day,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay and I realize we have some room for improvement. Your suggestion to have poolside service is brilliant and we now added a full-time attendant to this hotel venue. We are also exploring the opportunity of adding a jacuzzi to the area with our ownership as a capital improvement.

Atco, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

When visiting Fort Lauderdale, my husband and I always stayed near the ocean. On this trip, we were looking for a place downtown near restaurants and shops where we could walk to since we would not be having a car. We found this hotel to be the perfect place. There were several restaurants and shops along Las Olas Blvd. to wander around. The hotel is old but they appear to be doing some remodeling in the main areas. A new restaurant called the Wild Sea will soon be opening. We stayed on the 12th floor of the tower which provided a great view of the river. Even though this was the newer section, I was slightly disappointed. The carpets could've used a good shampooing! Housekeeping was also disappointing. Carpets were not vacuumed and the bathroom vanity still had leftover toothpaste on it. I also could not understand why there were no glasses in the bathroom...just on the tray with the ice bucket.
Lunch in Indigo was very good. The Maine lobster roll was excellent. I wish the same could be said about the breakfasts. The first morning, my husbands poached eggs were sent back because they were hard and the second morning, my omelet was returned because they didn't make the one I requested. The pool was nice but I wish there were cushions on the lounge chairs. They became very uncomfortable after awhile.
All that being said, I must commend Dariel in Concierge. He was extremely helpful in making dinner reservations etc.
I would consider returning if housekeeping improved.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Good Day,

Thank you for your tripadvisor of the Riverside Hotel.

I am happy to read that you opted staying with us versus the beach, as Las Olas has so much to offer. I really enjoyed reading your recommendations and I have already met with my team to discuss and implement the improvements.

We hope to see you stay with us soon again.

Sunny Regards,

San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Like other reviewers noted, great location with old (for Florida) charm, but sorely needs some modern touches. Like: riverfront position right on Las Olas Blvd., close to the upscale but mostly lily-white shops and clientele waiting for the cruise; windows that open wide, and some rooms with functional balconies. Needs: a gym commensurate with its status and a much better points program than Stash. I stayed here four weeks and got to know the staff (extremely professional) and the hotel fairly well. It's about the only viable option for daily financial district access compared to the chain hotels on the beach. Recommend for business (assuming you can forego the usual points), but having to join a rather dodgy neighborhood gym to get a regular workout? Meh.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Good Day,
I very much appreciate you writing your tripadvisor and highlighting our great location and outstanding service. I also appreciate the points for improvement, that I have shared with my team and even ownership.

Nassau, New Providence Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Excellent small hotel - Friendly staff - near to lots of good restaurants in walking distance (my husband does not like to drink and drive!) The restaurant in Riverside is very good and they are about to open another in February along the lines of the Grill Room

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Good Day,

Thank you for your tripadvisor of the Riverside Hotel.

I am thrilled that you found everything you needed when you stayed with us and enjoyed Las Olas to the fullest.

We hope to see you stay with us soon again.

Sunny Regards,

Executive Vice President - The Las Olas Company

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!