“Great Downtown Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 132 hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Atco, New Jersey
“Great Downtown Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

When visiting Fort Lauderdale, my husband and I always stayed near the ocean. On this trip, we were looking for a place downtown near restaurants and shops where we could walk to since we would not be having a car. We found this hotel to be the perfect place. There were several restaurants and shops along Las Olas Blvd. to wander around. The hotel is old but they appear to be doing some remodeling in the main areas. A new restaurant called the Wild Sea will soon be opening. We stayed on the 12th floor of the tower which provided a great view of the river. Even though this was the newer section, I was slightly disappointed. The carpets could've used a good shampooing! Housekeeping was also disappointing. Carpets were not vacuumed and the bathroom vanity still had leftover toothpaste on it. I also could not understand why there were no glasses in the bathroom...just on the tray with the ice bucket.
Lunch in Indigo was very good. The Maine lobster roll was excellent. I wish the same could be said about the breakfasts. The first morning, my husbands poached eggs were sent back because they were hard and the second morning, my omelet was returned because they didn't make the one I requested. The pool was nice but I wish there were cushions on the lounge chairs. They became very uncomfortable after awhile.
All that being said, I must commend Dariel in Concierge. He was extremely helpful in making dinner reservations etc.
I would consider returning if housekeeping improved.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Good Day,

Thank you for your tripadvisor of the Riverside Hotel.

I am happy to read that you opted staying with us versus the beach, as Las Olas has so much to offer. I really enjoyed reading your recommendations and I have already met with my team to discuss and implement the improvements.

We hope to see you stay with us soon again.

Sunny Regards,

666 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Like other reviewers noted, great location with old (for Florida) charm, but sorely needs some modern touches. Like: riverfront position right on Las Olas Blvd., close to the upscale but mostly lily-white shops and clientele waiting for the cruise; windows that open wide, and some rooms with functional balconies. Needs: a gym commensurate with its status and a much better points program than Stash. I stayed here four weeks and got to know the staff (extremely professional) and the hotel fairly well. It's about the only viable option for daily financial district access compared to the chain hotels on the beach. Recommend for business (assuming you can forego the usual points), but having to join a rather dodgy neighborhood gym to get a regular workout? Meh.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Good Day,
I very much appreciate you writing your tripadvisor and highlighting our great location and outstanding service. I also appreciate the points for improvement, that I have shared with my team and even ownership.

Nassau, New Providence Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Excellent small hotel - Friendly staff - near to lots of good restaurants in walking distance (my husband does not like to drink and drive!) The restaurant in Riverside is very good and they are about to open another in February along the lines of the Grill Room

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Good Day,

Thank you for your tripadvisor of the Riverside Hotel.

I am thrilled that you found everything you needed when you stayed with us and enjoyed Las Olas to the fullest.

We hope to see you stay with us soon again.

Sunny Regards,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel lobby and and downstairs reception area set us up for high expectations - it was fancy, clean and upscale. Staff was very friendly. As soon as we got to our floor (6th), there was a drastic downgrade from hotel to motel. Our room was decently good size and, at first glance, very doable but then I walked into the bathroom and found ants crawling all over the bathtub. Ok, no big deal, rinsed them off. Come bath time for the little one, filled up the tub and the water was yellow. Ok, friends say it happens a lot in Florida, we'll deal with it. The shower head is one of those removeable ones so it didn't stay in the right place and you're ending up showering with one hand along with fluctuating temp changes. Toilet is a small bowl with no tank but the common public restroom lever. Lastly, there's no blacking out these rooms, the blackout curtains do not close all the way.

All in all, we had a decent night of sleep in a run-down motel disguised as a hotel in a great location. Thank goodness we got a cheap rate on Priceline. Pool across the street looked nice and was still closer in distance than other resorts we stayed in. Too bad weather didn't permit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Good Day,
I love that you love Las Olas. Our hotel certainly has a great location for the reasons that you mentioned. I appreciate your outstanding rating.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is my 3rd trip to this hotel on each of the past 3 January's I cannot complain about my room on any of these trips. My rooms were in the main building and they were very spacious the complaints from the other conference attendees were numerous mostly about the small cramped rooms in the adjoining buildings. Several people told me that they attempted to upgrade the rooms but were denied. I was very pleased with my room but not sure I would pay the amount that they want for a room with a balcony but if you are traveling to the area and money is not a concern this hotel is very nice. The restaurant located in the lobby is excellent with a variety of selections all freshly prepared and reasonably priced

• Stayed January 2013
Good day,
I am glad you stayed with us for your conference and enjoyed the Tower Rooms, which are larger than the rooms in the classical section built in 1936.

Flagler Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Spent the weekend before Chritmas at the Riverside Hotel, what a great place. Great room and view, Las Olas Blvd. is a great place to eat, shop and people watch. Their are a number of excellent bakeries as well. I will post reviews on the restaurants we ate at.

Room Tip: Get a Riverview or Eastern view room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Good Day,
It is wonderful to read that you had a wonderful weekend with us.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I wanted so much to like this hotel, since the location is fantastic - right on the New River and in the heart of Las Olas - able to walk to all the fantastic restaurants and shops. But the issues started on check-in and continued throughout our 4 day stay - of note is that most of the issues are related to housekeeping. Let me start by saying that the hotel makes a poor attempt to retain the opulence I am sure it once had, but is is very outdated (even in the Executive Tower). Parking in the garage can be a nightmare - they rope off parking spots when having events, so you have to drive up several levels before finding an available spot - be careful of other drivers, they speed up and down the ramps, we almost got hit a few times. We checked into our room only to find that the coffee maker had not been cleaned out from the previous guests - isn't this housekeeping 101? We called for a refrigerator (charge of $10.00 per day) and they brought up a rusted piece of junk with a leg missing so it was leaning to the side (although it did work as far as refrigeration goes). The bottom sheet on the bed was not fitted, so it pulls off whenever you unmake the bed, and during the night when you sleep. There was also king sized pillows on the bed, but one pillow had a standard size pillowcase on it that did not cover the entire pillow - again, isn't this housekeeping 101? There were not enough drinking glasses - none in the bathroom to use when brushing your teeth, and they failed to replace ours one day, leaving no drinking glasses in the room at all. One morning, the housekeepers were outside in the hallway at 8:30 am, having a loud conversation right outside our room. They also failed to replace the toilet tissue one day, and the coffee for the in-room coffee maker another. I love the location of this hotel, but would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Good day,
I thank you for taking the time in completing the tripadvisor and noting our great location. I was saddened that we did not perform to our standards and this is certainly unacceptable for our side. I have taken your tripadvisor and share the information with the team to improve our performance through the implementation of specific action plans.

Executive Vice President - The Las Olas Company

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!