“Good location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 12 hotels in Florida City
Minnetonka, Minnesota
“Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our group was on our annual trip - this year being a bus trip - and stayed here on our way to and from Key West. Very well located to make that drive short without paying the big bucks that are charged in the Keys. Overall stay was okay. Price was very good compared to other places that we stayed. They did, however, give me a big hassle about the two puppies I had along that are being trained as service dogs. Almost as much as one place that I cancelled. I understand that they have a no dog policy. However, the manager had okayed this. They are the only place I have ever stayed where they were demanding papers showing they were service dogs. These are not issued until training is completed as some just don't make it. Breakfast - ok, nothing special. It is only the second place we have ever stayed that had outside doors. Would I stay here again? Yes. It's good but doesn't have anything particularly exceptional to talk about. Slow to get a reservation confirmed, so if you have a large group, start early. Front desk staff could be a bit more personable as well.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

568 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Beautiful hotel, clean and nice rooms! Friendly and check in. Breakfast lady was outstanding! Besides being near to the Keys, the Florida Outlet and the East side of the Everglades there is not much to see in the neighboorhood.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Rishon Lezion, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The room are spacious, well-equipped, clean with pool-view. Breakfast is rich and delicious. The yard is bid with a pool, jacuzzi,pool-chairs and tables. coffee,tea and tasty cookies are available 24/7. Hotel staff including the wonderful manager, Alex Salem, are very courteous, attentive and ready to assist with anything anytime!! Great location with fast access to the Keys and Everglades. We highly recommend the hotel and will not hesitate to come and stay there anytime we are in Florida

Room Tip: Room with a pool-view.
tucson
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night at this hotel and were very dissappointed that it isnt what it appeard to be in all the pictures. We couldnt get into our door because of key problems. The room was plain and dark. We got up early for breakfast and the one person in charge of breakfast had car problems and so they had no idea when breakfast would be. It's amazing that only one person handles this job. They had cereal out from the day before but couldnt give you any milk. I tried several times to get the manager to call me to see about a credit because I didnt get part of what I payed for and never heard a word from him. I don't think he ever worked because he was never in and all I could do was leave messages. They never gave me a chance to rate them, I had to go to trip advisor to do it .I truly believe that the ratings are not true based on my experience and I travel alot.

Room Tip: Room by pool. It was the only pretty thing about this place
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GATEWAYBW, Manager at BEST WESTERN Gateway to the Keys, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
I apologize for the issues you had. The key machine was broken and took a couple days for the new system to be built and come in. We apologize for the breakfast. Our times are from 630 to 930am but as a courtesy to our guest we try to get it out earlier than our normal business times when possible.. We were unable to do that, the morning of your stay due to some vehicle problems that the staff had. I am really sorry and hope you will come back and give us another try. Send us an email at gatewaybw@aol.com if your back so that I can offer you something better.

florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stained couch....mold/mildew on floor under bathroom sink. Hair under bath mat....etc..etc.....bedding/room did not look inviting...

One clerk at the front desk seemed very uncaring. I explained to her that I specifically put the DO NOT DISTURB SIGN on the door only to have housekeeping banging at the door early the next morning. I had already been awakened by the constant slamming of the doors that housekeeping were cleaning. The front desk clerk said OH..THATS WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO. My question is.....WHY HAVE THE DO NOT DISTURB SIGNS????
Checkout time is noon and I wish I could have gotten more sleep. This location is one where you will not get it!!!!! I will pass on this location and staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GATEWAYBW, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Gateway to the Keys, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
I'm really sorry to hear about your experience our hotel. I will let housekeeping know of your issues and we will address it immediately. They currently start work after 10am and we will take that into review to address our guests needs. If you need anything else please contact to hotel for further assistance. Thank you for taking the time and letting us know ways we can improve.
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I tryed to leave a customer survey a few days ago to see if management would care about anything I wrote about privately. But no reply at all! The first eve the was good; comfy bed, security on premises, nice hotel clerk and she even told us there were no rooms available without letting security let u in(6/2/13). Key cards didn't work. So we decided that the first eve stay was good that we went back. BAD MOVE the lady at desk,Yessimia looked at us like I'm busy why are you bothering me and spoke the same words...what can I help you with(attitude included). I wanted to leave, but it was late we accepted her aweful attitude, and kindly called after getting in the room to ask for a wakeup call...in which we NEVER received and I had an important meeting to attend. I would give a good 4 stars but if that's the help they allow, many people won't return no matter how nice the property is. That would be my clientele included. I'm convinced by reading other reviews and mine included they expect help to go where management won't, & that's a shame cause its a nice location on decent property!

• Stayed June 2013
I'm apologize about your experience with the front desk. We did have issue with the key card machine during your stay which was a big inconvenience for our guests. I am sorry and the front desk issue will be addressed promptly. If you need anything else please contact to hotel for further assistance. Thank you for taking the time and letting us know ways we can improve. I really hope you come back and give us a chance to show you that we are better than what you experienced.
Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We spent one night here before going down to Marathon on the keys for a week. We returned to the hotel and stayed five nights so we could visit the Everglades , Miami , and other parts of the area. The room was clean and well serviced. The air con was a bit noisy to leave on at night. Nice breakfast included in the room rate. The pool was always clean and tidy. Staff were attentive and friendly. Overall a great place to stay at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Nice fish restaurant just waking distance from the hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Gateway to the Keys? Share your experiences!