“Nightmare and scammed” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Florida City
Liberty Hill, Texas
“Nightmare and scammed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We checked in late on a Saturday night, headed the next morning for Key West. The room was in very poor condition; the lamps didn't work, the switch on one was torn off, plastic molding across the front of the washstand was hanging off, the interior of the drain system was taken out and on the floor, but all we wanted was to sleep. However, early the next morning, the toilet stopped up and we weren't able to unstop it, and we couldn't get the shower to work because we weren't able to turn on the water. The woman at the front desk was extremely nice, but said they were unable to refund any of our money, and would agree to do so if we contacted Travelscape and file a claim. However, when a representative contacted the owners, they claimed everything worked and that we had no problems. That cost us over $100.
Flavius J.

Room Tip: Simple. Choose another motel or sleep in your car.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Turtle Lake, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Very nice,New management.clean and quiet .good continental breakfast . Pool open very late .convenient location, close to restaurants reasonable prices. WiFi available mini frig in room was very nice.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Binghamton, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Refigerator was very dirty, so didn't use. Some walls were dirty....layers of dust behind door on wall. Doors need to be washed near knobs. Room size was nice and, bathroom, bed area were clean (but there is more to a clean room than the vanity/bed). They need outside garbage cans. There was garbage (bottles, cig packs, etc.) in parking lot. Pile of garbage by pool, some by office & in front. No hangers; another customer asked for some hangers, they refused. Needed more lighting--bad lightbulb in stand-up lamp so it didn't work. Painted all white, not much decoration, scant furniture. You can't run a motel like people are going to steal everything, so you don't provide it. Also an outside alarm was blaring from across parking lot that had gone went off for almost 1/2 hr.....guess they stopped it finally...we left and went to supper. Nice motel...not as nice as the first time. Just pick up the garbage and clean a little better. We stopped there for 1 nite on our way to Key West last yr & this year in Jan. Mentioned garbage to owner...he said they were cleaning outside...but I didn't see it done.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Dirty sheats, Swarms of bees that was trying to come to through the vent at the bathroom and lots of ants ont the floor. You get what you pay for and 19 bucks a night will certainly not get you anything fancy but you expect something more then this.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Escanaba, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

this had to be the dirtyist motel I evev stayed at...filthy from the door to the bathroom..,carpet was stained..not a clean spot anywhere...sheets were stained...slept on top of covers...I even passed on the shower...filth...do not stay here...should have slept in the car,...save your money

Room Tip: .warning......DO NOT STAY.......warning......
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed here for a night before driving out to Key West. I asked to see a room before I paid for it, and it seemed fine at first glance. Relatively clean. No bed bugs. After I moved all my stuff in for the night and started getting settled, I noticed something reddish sticking out of the plastic grid covering the florescent light over the bathroom sink.

Oh, I wish I had not looked closer. I really do.

It was the butt of a dead cockroach sticking through the holes in the grid. Then I scanned the rest of the light covering and saw two more dead cockroaches.

And you know what dead cockroaches means: There are live cockroaches nearby.

After that, everytime I walked near the bathroom sink, I peered up to make sure there weren't any live cockroaches peering down at me.

I fell asleep trying not to think about cockroaches crawling all over my belongings.

The next day, I went into the lobby to get some free breakfast. A woman emerged from the back room behind the front desk when I entered the lobby. I smiled and said hello and she glared back at me and went back into the back room without saying anything. Breakfast was nothing fancy. Just toast, fake orange juice, and coffee. Every once in a while she would peer out of the backroom to see what I was taking from the breakfast counter.

I couldn't wait to get out of there fast enough.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed one Night. It was late and had to stop for the night. Checked in and thought it was too expensive for a one night stay. Checked the room like I always do but was so tired that crashed on bed. Next morning looking closer I saw more evidence of. Stains around the outlets and on the walls. Pulled the covers and sure enough saw a. Bed bug. Told management and got reinbursed on the spot. Still had to double check everything to make sure nothing got on me or my car. Know the red flags. Always check the room before moving your things inside the room.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Knights Inn Florida City Homestead South? Share your experiences!