“Dead Cockroaches, Surly Staff” 1 of 5 stars

Knights Inn Florida City Homestead South
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1223 NE First Avenue, Florida City, FL 33034   |
Ranked #11 of 12 hotels in Florida City
Austin, Texas
“Dead Cockroaches, Surly Staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed here for a night before driving out to Key West. I asked to see a room before I paid for it, and it seemed fine at first glance. Relatively clean. No bed bugs. After I moved all my stuff in for the night and started getting settled, I noticed something reddish sticking out of the plastic grid covering the florescent light over the bathroom sink.

Oh, I wish I had not looked closer. I really do.

It was the butt of a dead cockroach sticking through the holes in the grid. Then I scanned the rest of the light covering and saw two more dead cockroaches.

And you know what dead cockroaches means: There are live cockroaches nearby.

After that, everytime I walked near the bathroom sink, I peered up to make sure there weren't any live cockroaches peering down at me.

I fell asleep trying not to think about cockroaches crawling all over my belongings.

The next day, I went into the lobby to get some free breakfast. A woman emerged from the back room behind the front desk when I entered the lobby. I smiled and said hello and she glared back at me and went back into the back room without saying anything. Breakfast was nothing fancy. Just toast, fake orange juice, and coffee. Every once in a while she would peer out of the backroom to see what I was taking from the breakfast counter.

I couldn't wait to get out of there fast enough.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Orlando, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed one Night. It was late and had to stop for the night. Checked in and thought it was too expensive for a one night stay. Checked the room like I always do but was so tired that crashed on bed. Next morning looking closer I saw more evidence of. Stains around the outlets and on the walls. Pulled the covers and sure enough saw a. Bed bug. Told management and got reinbursed on the spot. Still had to double check everything to make sure nothing got on me or my car. Know the red flags. Always check the room before moving your things inside the room.

• Stayed November 2012
WESLEY CHAPEL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Do not even consider staying here,the owner is a crook. I did not stay at this property (see other reviews for additional reasons) but the owner charged my credit card an outrageous amount and will not respond to any communication or drop the fradulent charges. after a week the corporate "customer service" can't be bothered to follow up. I personally will never stay at any Windham property ever again and stronglly recommend that everyone beware of their dishonest ways

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Bed buggggggs ate myself and kids alvie!! Infested go to the fairway cheaper and cleaner!! Its been 4 days I'm still miserable from it kids got scabs all over! Disgusting! Alchohol, and Cortizone, Now we are using neosporin so we dont get scars!!

• Stayed September 2012
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

non smoking room smelling cigarettes, clipping of nails in the bathroom and on the floor of the room, crumbs on the floor ! we stayed unfortunatly 3 nights ! I think that the maids just ordered the bed and did clean anythings during these 3 days ! I've never walked barefoot on the floor.

Worst place ever !

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

We checked the beds the night we got here and they looked fine then this morning I felt a little itchy didnt think anything about it till my husband was playing with the baby on the bed and found a bug then another and another and another... Don't stay here to try to save money its not worth it!

• Stayed July 2012
La Place
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I liked the rate ($42.00/night), the convenient location, the good, strong coffee, the in-room microwave oven & fridge, the good air conditioner, the overall quiet of the place, and the mostly nice-looking exterior appearance. I did NOT like the shabby condition of the room or lobby. I probably would not stay here again or recommend it to others. But, for the price, a traveler might not mind it. Oh, the place was packed with people both nights, so obviously many people are fine with it.

RJT

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Knights Inn Florida City Homestead South? Share your experiences!