“Great Price, Good Location, Extremely Functional, Clean, Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Budget Host Inn

You added Budget Host Inn to your Saves list
Budget Host Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   815 N. Krome Ave, Florida City, FL 33034 (Formerly Rodeway)   |
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Florida City
New York City, New York
“Great Price, Good Location, Extremely Functional, Clean, Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

I was traveling to South Florida from Ohio for a few extra days of vacation following a week of work in Miami. I wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle of South Beach and find a quality / cheap motel near the Everglades and close to the Florida Keys so I could do some sightseeing. I travel often for work and stay in 3-4-5 star hotels but when traveling for pleasure I prefer something cheap, clean, functional and low-key. I'd rather save money on a motel and spend it elsewhere on my trip.

I was extremely pleased with my 3-night stay here. I arrived late on my scheduled check-in date but my room was still waiting for me. The front desk clerk was very friendly and helpful (really nice guy). The room was exactly what I needed: clean, quiet, plenty of hot water, a mini refrigerator, microwave, cable TV, a desk, another table to sit things on, plenty of room overall and the bathroom was huge. I received a strong cell phone connection and the wireless Internet was very fast (neither of which can be said for my work hotel in Miami Beach the prior week).

There were even little things that made sense. For example, there was a table right next to the shower that had all of the towels and it made it simple to reach down and grab one once I was done. It may sound simple but I can't tell you the number of times I've stayed in hotels where the towels were on the other side of the bathroom.

To be fair and representative, the rooms were simple and the walls showed a few signs of aging paint, and the lamps were a few years old. But, c'mon folks, this is a motel, not a place that you are considering setting up residence for the next 30 years! I was 15 minutes from Everglades National Park, 20 minutes from Key Largo and 40 minutes from Miami International Airport.

The hotel is perfectly situated one block west of US - 1 (at Exit 1) and it was very quiet. On US - 1 there are a ton of restaurants and other shops catering to exactly what you need. Overall, I slept well, was treated great by the staff, and was able to use this hotel as home base for three days as I traveled around the area. It's the best $49 (per night) that I have spent in a long while considering what I received for that price.

To me this was the perfect hotel if you are looking for something clean, simple, cheap and functional. If you want lavish amenities and mints left on your pillows, go ahead and pay $200 a night somewhere else. I'd rather pay $49 a night and get more than I needed for my type of stay (shower, sleep and regroup after each day of vacationing). I slept great, had plenty of hot water and clean towels, and the heater / AC worked just fine. I actually got too hot from the heater (my fault) so I had to turn on the AC so I know both work great.

The ONLY thing that I would mention as less than desirable was that the automatic wake-up call. Although it was right on time, the phone ringer was a little low on the volume. I woke up on the final ring (barely) on the morning of my flight home. This could have been an issue so if you have a alarm on your cell phone I would recommend using that as a backup.

Other than that I have no complaints at all. I know there are some suspect reviews of this motel on here (and I was apprehensive as well) but it appears everything is under new management so a lot of those issues have been put to rest. For me, it was exactly what I needed.

Safe travels!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank magic822

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

I stay in cheap hotels so I can afford to stay longer and take more pictures, and I like to recommend inexpensive places I've stayed in. Sadly, this is one I can't.

The room is no uglier than some I have recommended, but the bathroom is. The fixtures were worn out years ago. The toilet works if you give it 4 or five tries. Mildew is extensive.

To be generous, I'll describe the housekeeping as indifferent. A little Mr. Clean would fetch the filth off the switchplates and doors. They don't vacuum. The bathroom fixtures are so stained it's hard to tell if they clean them.

The place is a favorite of bikers. While not the scary type, they do like to sit outside in the evening with their significant others, drinking beer and providing the world at large with way more information than it needs about their bikes, brawls and sex lives.

If you do stay here, you'll find a refrigerator and microwave. Free wifi works OK. The room I had before I moved to one with a working air conditioner had a coffee maker, but the coffee was so poor it wasn't worth the trouble. It's about as close (around 10 miles) as you can get to the Coe entrance of the Everglades. Bring shampoo.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Narrowgauge

Travelers are raving about these Florida City hotels

portage, michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

Great location, right by the entrance to the everglades (the southern entrance by the Ernest Coe Visitor center & royal palm visitor center- by the anhinga and gumbo limbo trails). Was just a place to sleep and shower. Clean, the A/c worked fine, no bug problems or anything. Was a little peeved that they forgot my wake-up call the next morning, making me a little late for the days plans.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank Mary626
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

This place is not luxurious...but it was clean and the best rate we found in the area ($50 less per night than the lowest rate in Key Largo). It is a great place to base out of to explore South Florida & the Keys. They have good size microwaves and larger than normal
"room" refridgerators. The continental breakfast was minimal but the coffee & juice were just fine. A very good cuban restaurant is nearby.

Did day trips to The Everglades, Biscayne, and Pennecamp Parks. Also the Keys. Key Largo is just minutes away. Actually drove to Key West and back in a day with plenty of time to see the sights.

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank Mountainair
Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2006

Our first visit to a Budget Host Inn will be our last. The chain emphasizes value, but for $69 here is what we got: a rather dirty room, a remnant of a toilet paper roll on top of the toilet; there was no holder, a complimentary breakfast consisting of stale broken-up muffins, bread and orange juice. The management put out only a tiny amount of each item, and when they ran out quickly they were not replenished. The pool was dirty and litter cluttered the walkway. Management made little effort to be friendly and responsive.

My advice - drive on by!

18 Thank Marvella
Floridian Hotel
Floridian Hotel
#4 of 16 in Homestead
3.5 of 5 stars 405 reviews

Been to Budget Host Inn? Share your experiences!