“Fruitstand not a restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Ice Cream
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Takeout, Dessert
AXTON
“Fruitstand not a restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I like coming here to see all the tropical fruit. It is overpriced. A lot of the fruit is not ripe enough to eat right away. They are very friendly and give samples. We always buy some fruit. I have never bought their milkshakes.

Visited February 2014

89% Recommend
New England
“Tourist Trap Fruit Stand--NOT A RESTAUTRANT”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

The fact that this place received a "Certificate of Excellence" significantly decreased my trust in tripadvisor. They clearly sell overpriced shakes and fruit, and a variety of prepared sauces, condiments, shell-figurines, and other items a tourist might want. Their variety of fruit is good and fresh, but again, overpriced. I bet you would never see a local resident shopping here unless they are very wealthy and don't care about wasting money. One example: we paid $2.50 for an avocado, and found them for sale at another farm stand later for 0.50 each because they are very common in the area. Another example: the soursop shake I bought barely tasted like soursop and cost almost $6; while first driving into Homestead on route 997 I found a latin-owned fruit stand that made a tastier shake for $2.50.

Furthermore, the owner and some staff showed a self-righteous attitude . I asked the owner, Robert, why durian and mangosteen don't grow in this climate to which he responded that durian is garbage and no one in their right mind should be eating it. My question wasn't about his personal preference. He's obviously never been to southeast Asia, where durian is known as the King of Fruits.

Also, when I asked the young man making smoothies if they can put kumquat juice in the sugar cane drink he replied that in the two years he's been working there he's never received a request for that, implying that it was my mistake for requesting it. I had exactly this drink in Hawaii and it was one of the best tasting drinks I've had in my life. I also know it's very popular in other places in the world.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Oh
“Fun experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stopped here after a trip to the Everglades. It was MOBBED. Milkshakes were great. We also had fun picking out exotic fruit, most of which is imported, but which seemed so inviting. Bought tropical souvenirs only to notice the Made in the Philippines stickers when we got home. Still, we had fun here. Definitely worth a quick stop and snack. GREAT green tomatoes and papaya (some of the best I've had)!

Visited January 2014
Rockledge, Florida
“Nice stop before going to Everglades”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stopped here after being in the car for 3 hours, got out and got a Passion Fruit Milshake, it was really good but It was a little tart. If I came again I would of gotten a sweeter fruit. The milkshakes are good sized and right under $6. There is a wide variety of produce here as well as honey and hot sauces. We walked around out back while waiting for the milkshake - there was a sort of petting zoo here. We did not stay that long, we just got the milkshake and left. We did not find it that wonderful to stop here on the way out.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edgewater, Florida
“Awesome milkshakes!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Best milkshake I ever had and so many flavors to choose from. All fresh fruit!!! Lots of fresh produce, honey, and snacks. We ever found cheese curds. Lot's of samples to taste before you buy.

Visited January 2014