Save Saved
Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Florida City
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

This hotel is okay but not exciting. Stayed here for two nights to explore the Everglades and Keys, for which it is perfectly located. There's free breakfast but what I really found odd is that there is only plastic cutlery. USD 120 a night is not expensive but also not cheap enough to not have normal cutlery.
The town as such is rather boring but check out "Robert is Here" for amazing smoothies and "Taqueria Morelia" for great, down-to-earth Mexican food.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
HIEX M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florida City, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear bineK,

I am sorry you didn't like our plastic cutlery, that is what Holiday Inn Expresses are mandated to provide.

Yes, we are perfectly located for exploring the Florida Keys and the Everglades, and while Robert Is Here and Taqueria Morelia are nice, there is so much more. There are numerous restaurants and eateries (Cuban, Italian, American, Japanese, Thai) in Florida City and the adjacent city of Homestead. Ride the free guided trolley to Biscayne National Park and Homestead Bayfront Park. There are seasonal activities at the Homestead-Miami Speedway, The Fruit and Spice Park, and Schnebly Redland's Winery. The Florida Keys Premium Outlet Mall. Coral Castle. Monkey Jungle. Local fishing charters.

SkyDive Miami flies out of Homestead General Airport. There's Keys Gate Golf Course, and Redland Golf and Country Club. Take a drive up Krome Avenue north of Homestead past the many farms and fields and you'll find many plant nurseries that have fruit and vegetable stands selling mangoes, avocados, papayas and more.

Homestead offers night life at the Stick & Steins Sports Rock Café and Billiard Club, Fat Monkey Karaoke Bar, Flagler's Wine Bar, and the Dade Country Jail has a DJ and line dancing.

When you return to South Florida just ask my staff for their recommendations and suggestions, they will be more than happy to oblige.

Most Sincerely, Brad Forsyth, General Manager

179 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I recently stayed there on 3/27/14 and was a victim of someone trying to steal fuel from my rental vehicle! I suggest if you must stay there please park under the from entrance and maybe, just maybe your vehicle might be safe. The thieves failed to get my fuel but they took the gas cap from my rental vehicle and I had to waste 2 hours trying to buy another (vacation put on pause…not good)! Holiday Inn Express should provide security or how about a taller fence to deter these thieves! Well, second trip to Miami area and at least I didn't have a cigarette butt in my food this time… Miami, FL…where third world is being taught social norms! A WORK IN PROGRESS, FOR SURE!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
HIEX M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florida City, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear Bob K,

I am so sorry to hear about this incident. I checked our log book and did not see an entry about this incident being brought to the attention of a staff member.

We do have a security guard on duty overnight, but even then determined and crafty thieves can sometimes still not be deterred.

Thank you for taking the time complete a review. Your valuable feedback will be helpful in us reassessing our security procedures.

Travelers are raving about these Florida City hotels

CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Hair on shower walls. Shower drain clogged, drained extremely slowly (ankle-deep shower-bath, yuk). Depressed check-in agent. Room smelled bizarre.

Plus old carpets, peeling paint on wood molding.

Nothing horrible, but definitely well below HI Express standards. Probably needs new management.

We are in the HI Express in Marathon (Keys) tonight; it's a normal one.

There are plenty of big chain similar hotels near the HI Express in Florida City; try one of those.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
HIEX M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florida City, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear FranklnCA,

The room you described is definitely below Holiday Inn Express standards. I will use your valuable feedback to improve services and housekeeping procedures.

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Please come back and stay with us to gauge our improvement when you are again in sunny South Florida.

Anaheim
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed here for one night as part of a drive down to Marathon. The hotel was nice and clean, but overall average. The staff was nice and the rooms were big, but the bathroom was subpar including some toilet issues. The breakfast was one of the highlights. Room was fairly quiet as the hotel is set back a bit from the Highway. The room was clean.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florida City, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear NorthOCTraveler,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. It is lovely to hear your kind comments regarding the rooms and our staff. However, we regret letting you down on some aspects of your stay. I have taken note of your comments regarding the bathroom. I assure you the feedback we receive will be reviewed and most certainly be forwarded to the appropriate departments.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you would give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

The reviews of this place smelling like mildew is correct. When I walked into the hotel room, it seemed damp to me. That said, the room seemed neat and clean and the breakfast was a usual "free hotel breakfast"...bagels, sausage, eggs, muffins. I had no complaints or problems of any kind. I stayed at this hotel coming from Key Largo because the prices are cheaper. But....Florida City is kind of dirty and unkept looking. If I hadn't already made reservations that were non-refundable, this is definitely a town I would avoid. But if you're visiting the Everglades you don't have many choices. The prices are also a little high considering it's not a very nice area. Out by the Dairy Queen there's a Courtyard and the area looks a little nicer. Beware of the cashless tolls that stung us on the Turnpike. All of that said, I wouldn't stay here again, nor would I recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
HIEX M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florida City, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Daylily4,

The high humidity of South Florida can cause a mildewy smell, but the housekeeping staff does a great job cleaning to help mitigate this problem.

Our pricing structure is in line with this area, but the High Season will be ending soon and our rates will be dropping accordingly.

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to submit a review.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

nice, & clean hotel friendly front desk staff !! I was travelling down to largo then everglades & couldnt have picked a better resting location, more then happy if im ever in the area id definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
HIEX M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florida City, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Alysun H,

I am glad to hear my staff took care of you. Yes, we are the perfect location for visiting both Key Largo and the Everglades.

I hope to see you on your next visit to South Florida.

Brad Forsyth, General Manager
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I read a few reviews after I had checked In. After reading the last few and staying three days it makes you think they must have typed in the wrong address. I am a traveling salesman who spends many nights on the road. I rate this property on my top places to stay the staff is friendly and the place is up to date and clean. Many more people complain then compliment. I guess some people complain if they hang them with a new rope.

Room Tip: Not in this case but a good tip is to check in early and ask if the have updated rooms.