“Not worth the Money” 3 of 5 stars

Super 8 Motel Florida City/Homestead
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1202 N. Krome Avenue, Florida City, FL 33034-242   |
Ranked #6 of 11 hotels in Florida City

244 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Oh this was a sad day that broke my faith in the Super 8 motel chain.

The room seemed fine at first glance. I had some dinner, took a shower. Then as I was settling into bed, I see a massive dark blob creeping along the wall out of the corner of my eye. Oh dear lord, it was a massive cockroach. And I was so ready to fall asleep after a long day in the Everglades.

It was about 12:30 am and I was absolutely exhausted, I couldn't contemplate the prospect of moving to another room or hotel. I went to the front desk, and the woman gives this chagrin smile, shrugs her shoulders, and says, "It's Florida. There's cockroaches here."

I just love how low-end motels use the "there's cockroaches in Florida" line to excuse the presence of cockroaches in their establishment.

She hands me a big spray can of insecticide and tells me that at least there aren't little bugs in my room. Why? I ask. She tells me that little bugs are a sign that the house is dirty.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but cockroaches are a pretty good sign that the house is dirty too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Brooklyn, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We arrived in mid December 2012 for a two night stay. The king-bed room we were assigned smelled of mold. We cranked up the a/c in hopes of ameliorating the scent and went out for dinner. After returning, we used the bathroom and the toilet overflowed. Stuff happens. We called the front desk, in hopes of getting someone to take care of the problem. The response we got was "do you want a plunger?" There would be no one available to cope with this problem, so I asked for a different room. One was indeed offered. On checking it out, we found that the scent of mold in this room was even stronger than in the one that had just been fouled. We declined the replacement room and opted to find accommodations elsewhere. When I spoke with the manager at our departure, I asked for our charges to be credited back to our account, as we had not received a usable space for our money. Her response was a very simple, "we have a strict no-refund policy." Not a word along the lines of "I am so sorry for your experience here." Nope. I would avoid this place, not just for the problematic quality of the rooms but the callous disregard for its customers we experienced from the management.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
tjjtaylor, General Manager at Super 8 Motel Florida City/Homestead, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Please accept our apologies for the problems you encountered at our Super 8. These issues are being addressed. We appreciate you taking your time to comment.

John Taylor
Marketing Manager
Macon, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed here for two nights. Our reservations went flawlessly, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was clean. The carpet was dirty, had stains and holes, and the floor was uneven. The fridge was tiny (I didn't expect a full size fridge here, but hoping I could at least fit a 'to-go' box). Microwave was nice. TV is old, which I usually don't care about, but the picture got cut off from sides. The walls were painted recently, and the room had decent furniture.

Most of all, the internet connection was horrible. I can forgive most things since we stay in motels because we want to crash for a night or two for cheap prices, and not because we are on a romantic getaway. So when it takes a considerable effort to send an email, that becomes a problem.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
tjjtaylor, Manager at Super 8 Motel Florida City/Homestead, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
We apologize for the problems you experienced. We are in the midst of renovating our rooms and the carpet will be replaced shortly. The TV's are also being upgraded. Our WIFI is normally working well and this has been referred to our technician. Thank you for taking the time to comment on our Super 8.

John Taylor
Marketing Manager

Been to Super 8 Motel Florida City/Homestead? Share your experiences!