“A special place” 5 of 5 stars

Everglades International Hostel
20 SW 2nd Avenue, Florida City, FL 33034   |
“A special place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful, wondrous place: how lucky we were to come across it, thanks to the Lonely Planet Guidebook, which spoke of it as a 'green' Eco-hostel. But this is not your usual Youth Hostel. It's a meeting place for pilgrims from all over the world, who are drawn to the Everglades as a wilderness centre and then discover that human beings can be kind, generous and warm hearted also. Ohnn - a woman with a vision - came here 16 years ago after a seven year search to find where she could create a sanctuary and this is the result. All sorts of accommodation are available: we had a well appointed, comfortable bedroom, sharing a bathroom/shower with one other room. Self catering, with primitive but clean facilities. Every sort of modern IT comfort. A waterfall, tree hammocks, just beautiful. If this review is your sort of thing, then, if you are in the area, do spend a night, or two, or more, here.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here twice on a recent trip to Florida and as soon as we walked in to the garden area we were bowled over by the amazing quirkiness of the place. A huge amount of love and effort have gone into this hostel and it shows.
The roped tree house and the rock pool ( invigorating for a dip in the mornings) and the Bedouin tents and chill out room are all wonderful. It is a great vibe running throughout and is inhabited by all nations of all ages.
We also took the trip to the Everglades national park which included the mangrove canoe trip. Fantastic place. Thank you guys.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mystic, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed in a private room with shared bath...it was all most unusual,relaxing,and wonderful. Lots of friendly,welcoming folks here,and an atmosphere of 'just relax'... The building is vintage....loved the beautiful courtyard! The shared kitchen,free pancakes(make yourself) and space to cook,eat,and meet people from around the world was great. After a long day visiting the 'Glades,it was great hanging out with a cup of tea,cooking up some dinner,and eating outside with the resident parrot watching over us.This is not your average cookie cutter place to stay,some people just tenting in the yard,others in shared dorms...it is way more of an experience than a hotel room. (Love the waterfall grotto)I look forward to visiting again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

As this was my first time staying in a hostel I was a little nervous. Once I walked in the front door and was greeted by Brandon I was welcomed with warmth and kindness. The whole environment was very relaxing , staff and guests very friendly but I was also able to find the alone time I was seeking. The hostel is very clean , including the dorm room I stayed in. outside area , which looked nice online, but in fact was fantastic, was my very favorite. The cool swimming hole , to the little areas tucked here and there for reading. I fear that if I ever stay another hostel the bar has been set very high. I would recommend this wonderful place .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this hostel, and it was extremely friendly with a good crowd of people guesting in the place. The staff were helpful and knowledgeable, and I can even recommend the Tex Mex place over the road. It was the best we had in our three week stay in the South.

Our private room was really tidy and well presented, and the general lay out of the hostel in general was decent. The only reason I gave this 3 stars is that in the morning I couldn't find a bathroom. The place wasn't that busy yet every door was locked when I came to brush my teeth and use the loo! If this is how it is in low-season, how must it be when the place is rocking? A must-stay if you're in low season but unless there were some other toilets I missed I can't imagine it's must fun once the rooms are full and the yard crammed with campers. It was also quite expensive for a hostel and could do with some competition.

Room Tip: If you get a private do clarify whether you get exclusive use of nearby toilets.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ko Samui, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Lovely hostel with super comfy dorm room. It is near the entrance of everglade park. However, you should have a car or buy a package tour to visit there. I did not drive but I shared a ride with another guest of the hostel. On the way back, I used public transportation to reach fort lauderdale airport which was not tough at all. The bus stop to metrorail is 1 min walk. The dorm room is just like your room in your house, very very nice and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2013
Temple Terrace, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I just cancelled my reservation due to a change in travel plans. I was prepared to lose my non-refundable payment for the night. Instead, I get an email with a credit for 1 year.

I have yet to stay here and already I am a fan. Customer service is non-existent anymore, so when it gets served out unexpectedly like this, I am compelled to spread the word.

Can't wait to visit soon!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Everglades International Hostel? Share your experiences!