“Clean and friendly” 4 of 5 stars

20 SW 2nd Avenue, Florida City, FL 33034   |
Lac-Simon, Canada
“Clean and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is a haven surounded by the hustle and bustle of excessive consumption and strip mall america. The owners have managed to provide a tropical setting that sometimes makes you forget the outside world. That in itself is a feat.
It is unique in the services it provides and relatively affordable adventure tours. Bus service a short walk away on highway one. Good kitchen and a surprising variety of buildings to relax in. Not pricy so don't expect new ikea furniture.
I slept in my vw van but i undestand that the rooms are ok, perhaps a bit warm but you can sleep outide in tents and other buildings if need be. Good outside shower.

Room Tip: In a hostel you take a chance everytime you decide to sleep in a multi bed dorm. I have always been...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Didnt stay at the hostel but the full day everglades trip was a great great trip. Kayaking with alligators was definitely the highlight, but whilst it was an adrenaline rush the guides made it feel very safe and at no point did it seem like anyone was in any danger. All the equipment was provided, if you can go on this trip do!!!

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Newberg, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The eight hour tour was a blast and we learned a lot. Chris was a fun and knowledgeable guide who helped us spot lots of wildlife. We kayaked through the mangroves in the morning (gators!) had a picnic lunch (provided) at Flamingo, waded through a cypress grove in the afternoon (more gators!) and ended the day on the Anhinga Trail (too many gators to count!)

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

As far as Hostels go. It's only the second one I've ever stayed in but it was fun. We called the day we needed 3 beds and got a private room at half off. Very friendly staff, well supplied kitchen, coffee and make your own pancakes included. Very clean. Great outdoor areas for eating and mingling.

Room Tip: We called the day we needed 3 beds and they gave us a room with 3 bunkbeds to ourselves. Was very qu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed in the Denby small cottage across the alley from the Hostel. The cottage was equipped with a king bed, newly renovated large bathroom, sink, microwave, coffee maker and wifi for $125/night. There were both indoor (enclosed porch) and outdoor sitting areas. The only downside was the ceiling clearance - not great for anyone over 6'3. You could be as communal with the hostel dwellers as you wanted (or not). We made pancakes at the hostel both mornings and were not disturbed by any noise from the hostel yard. The big plus was the canoe rental for $30/day, which we brought to the Everglades. The staff also directed us to good food in the area. The downside was the location, which while being close to the park is still quite far and in a poorer neighbourhood. However, we would probably stay there again on our next Everglades visit.

Room Tip: The Nenby small was great for a couple wanting complete privacy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This hostel is what they should be. I've stayed at a lot of hostels and this one really surprised me. First off we weren't sure if we should stay cause it was $18 per person to pitch a tent in their backyard. It would be nice of they would charge per tent plus a fee per person but they backyard it a trip! I spent a couple of hours taking pictures there, and more the next morning between self-serve pancakes and awesome people. They have beautiful trees, a big round gazebo-type thing, a good kitchen to use, a fridge, books, GOOD DUB-STEP. Yeah, this place is nice. BTW southern Florida is very expensive and the price is acceptable for a hostel. They even made a waterfall where I went for a swim in the morning. Trips to the everglades are possible and rangers in the park actually recommend them as a tours and rentals place. Kudos to Everglades and this hostel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
smartsville ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is a perfect location for for exploreing south florida,if you are into fishing the local water's abound with a varitey of fish.I caught at least ten diferent species in the week i spent there,on my last day I went to Biscayne Bay.Fishing was slow ,I was ready to head back when I spotted Ashley a fellow resident at the Hostel,we were talking while drifting in or kayak's,I took a cast into the channel and hooked a sea monster,it pulled my boat about two hundred yard's into a stiff headwind,after about twenty minutes,the line snapped.Never did see what I hooked,my new photographer and winded I paddeled back too the secret spot,.I took a few more cast's,holy moley ! I got another one.This one did the same ,headed up wind for a long way's turned right into the shallow's,after another twenty minutes It was fifty feet from the boat I was opptomistic I might see this one,,it start's to surface along comes a big old shark,a big splash, slack line.Back to the spot,a few cast's later I got another one,same routine the fish head's upwind turn's then makes a U turn and head's out into the bay.After about one half hour and half a mile out I finely land this one,a ten pound Jack.Ashley been eating cambel's soup for day's and want's to barbque the fish back at the hostel which we did using firewood supplied by Dlyan a young staff member.With the help of guest's and staff we ate the whole thing.To all you traveler's the Everglades Hostel is a great place,,beatiful people,helpful staff,awsome live entertainment at great price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Floridian Hotel
Floridian Hotel
#4 of 16 in Homestead
3.5 of 5 stars 345 reviews

Been to Everglades International Hostel? Share your experiences!