“Flagler Beach is a laid back community” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Topaz Hotel / Motel

You added Topaz Hotel / Motel to your Saves list
Topaz Hotel / Motel
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1224 South Ocean Shore Blvd, Flagler Beach, FL 32136   |
Ranked #7 of 13 Flagler Beach B&B and Inns
connecticut
“Flagler Beach is a laid back community”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I think this motel fits the area well. It's right across the street from the beach with beautiful views of the ocean and pier from the 2nd floor rooms. I recommend the upper floor for anyone who can climb stairs. There was a fridge, microwave, coffee maker and a table/chairs if you want to have breakfast in the room. Our room was cleaned daily, and we had no cleanliness problems.
I never stayed at the Topaz back in the day, so I can't make comparisons, but our experience was just fine-and the location and price were right!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My family and I had reserved a room, but we were having difficulty reserving it. They said earlier that they had a room, but there was a miscommunication and we had to try another one, which was exactly the same as the one we had originally reserved, but this one had ants by what you could call the "kitchen" area, dirty sheets and it smelled like smoke. Also, we asked for some room service kindly, but the maid never came. This hotel had very poor quality, however the location was beautiful. I truly love that part. I reccomend staying in a different place, but near the same location.

• Stayed September 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

It's been 2 months since I stayed at the Topaz and it has taken that long for me to cool down over the entire experience. This place does not know the meaning of good customer service. Just booking the room was a difficult task. Multiple times I was told there was a room only to find out there wasn't - the clerk that handled the reservations clearly didn't have a clue as to what was available. Upon check-in, there were several guest who had issues with their reservations and that should have been my first clue to RUN! Our room was apparently going though some repair work. You could see ceiling had recently been sprayed with plaster and drippings of plaster and plaster dust were everywhere adn on everything, including the drapes, furniture, walls, ceiling fan, and framed photo's hanging on the walls. Even the ceiling fire sprinkles were still taped up with painters tape! I'm sure the Fire Marshall would have had a field day with that violation. I expressed my concerns to Michael (manager) and he told me he'd look at the room to verify the issues. This process took several hours and when I managed to track him down again he told me there was nothing he could do. It was late in the day and there were no other rooms available, I continued to express my dissatisfaction and eventually Michael told me he would credit me $10. on the room. Really?? Ten bucks! I would have been perfectly fine if he would have sent housekeeping up to clean the room of the plaster dust and took the painters tape off the sprinkler heads! I saw Michael when we checked out the next morning and, once again, I expressed that I was not a happy customer and would not be returning to the Topaz due to a lack of customer service. And once again, Michael didn't seem to care. On a different note, the BLUE restaurant is wonderful! Make sure to request seating in the actual restaurant or on the deck otherwise you'll find youself seated in the common area of the Topaz Hotel with hotel guest wander through your dining experience (dogs and all!). No centeral air in this facility so it tends to be very humid and musty smelling. And if you plan on being out late, you can expect to have some issues getting into the hotel after hours since the card reader doesn't work very well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The Topaz used to be a great place to stay. It has new owners and what an uninviting difference. It is now dirty and becoming run down. No maid service for 3 days. The maids say they are working short and are too busy doing check outs to clean occupied rooms. One friend appears to have contacted bed bugs and when she informed the owner they were not interested.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Let's start by saying this is not a 5 star hotel by any means, what is has in its favor is the ocean(across the road) and BLUE, a better than average restaurant. Price wise there is a Hilton Garden inn about 5 miles away for the same price, so basically your getting the closer beach convenience...and thats all. We stayed 7 days, staff barely acknowledged us, pots of ciggarette butts all over the property. Our shower dripped the entire 7 days, maitenance came and it still dripped, sink leaked 4th day in. My 3 boys liked the convenience of the pool however it seemed to be a public pool on somedays as we saw people parking in the lot and using the facilities. There is a sign that states NO alcohol and glass bottles. There was indeed guests drinking, tells me lack of care on the Topaz staff. PLease update your VCR to at least a DVD player, its ridiculous. Dirty gross mattresses in a dumpster in the parking lot, the pullout couch didnt fit when it was pulled out so it made a fire hazard ramp! Will I stay here again? NOPE. Unfortunately it seemed to attract a lower class of people and as for the Beach convenience? I'll just drive to it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

It's not the fanciest place, but it's everything we want & need. They are super pet friendly, with no weight limit, so you can bring a 4lb Chi or a 100 lb Doberman. The pet fee is very reasonable also. You can get an efficency, regular room or an antique setting. The pool is right there, the ocean across the street. Nice staff, very accomodating. Wouldn't stay anywhere else. Been coming for years and it never changes.

Room Tip: AABest location and and especially pet friendly!Get an efficency with small kitchen.Fully stocked, s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

So I went on holiday with my long time boyfriend and his family offered to put us in a hotel for the night. I just went along with everything. so They drive us down the beach until we reach the Topaz hotel. It is very cute, turn of the century hotel/motel. You could tell that back in the day this place would have been amazing.

We stayed in an upstairs room (which they refer to as a Balcony" room when it is only on the second floor. But the view of the beach was very nice. They have a pool, though we didn't use it because of the weather and the Hotel Restaurant looked cool we didn't go in. the room was a double queen (they didn't ask us if we wanted a king). The room was pretty old school but was fitted with a 20 in Samsung TV, a VCR player (Yes, VCR) and a mini-fridge. the bathroom was ok and they gave good products.

My only complaint was that there isn't enough light in the room. There was no overhead light, just some lamps.

All in all I would stay there again. The view is great and it is in walking distance to the limited stuff to do.

There isn't that much to do in the area so this was a nice place in an alright town.

Room Tip: Save the $10 and don't get the "Balcony" rooms
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Topaz Hotel / Motel? Share your experiences!