“Service doesn't match food” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert
South Bend, Indiana
“Service doesn't match food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Our second year eating here while on spring break. Food was good as usual this year so we will return but the service staff were challenged. Our first night the young male waiter acted like he was on a chemical that sped him up. We sat for 10 minutes without anyone coming to the table then he shows up and sped us through dinner. We had just started eating when he brought the check, plus he almost ran from table to table. Something was off and if you rush me through an $80 dinner something is wrong. We wanted to order dessert and he had us out the door. The second time a young female seemed off as well. No straws and I asked for no bun on a burger but burger came with a bun and she never noticed. Kind of strange for a place with such wonderful food.

Visited April 2014

Fleming Island, FL
“Hooked on the veggie plate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Over the years, we've eaten in every Barbara Jeans. Recently went to our "local" in Ponte Vedra and it was not good at all. However, last week we swung by the Fernandina Beach restaurant and it was great. The veggie plate, which is my addiction, was outstanding. I could just order the broccoli rice casserole for all five of my veggies...but if I did that then I'd miss out on my other faves...the squash casserole, the spinach, the green beans, and the stewed tomatoes are just so good. My husband likes the red beans and rice as well as the corn. And the bread is excellent. Always great fast service and a lovely view out overbite marsh. Perfect lunch!

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Comfort food with a flair and view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Fried catfish fillets, not greasy, piping hot from the fryer. Cheese grits, Southern cooked fresh green beans, pumpkin bread to die for! To say very good is an understatement. Friendly, happy server who knows her job and wanted to please. How can it be better? A key lime martini to start!
Best value on the island. Dining outside with a view of the marsh just made the evening perfect!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“Good food and good service have returned”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I have eaten at Barbara Jeans in Ponte Vedra, Palm Coast (now closed) and Amelia Island and the service and food as of February 2013 was okay but not what it used to be. Tonight, dinning at Amelia Island, the service was great and the food was what I remember it being....very very good. I had coconut shrimp, broccoli casserole, squash casserole and sweet tea. The entree was plentiful and came quickly. Food was of a good temperature and tasty. Thanks BJ for a great visit...I was skeptical based on the reviews but left very happy and very full.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Canton, Georgia
“Pumpkin Bread and marsh view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We love Barbara Jeans and always go when in Amelia/Jekyll/Charleston. We have been for breakfast, lunch and dinner- I think customer service is a bit better at dinner. Sit on the back porch and enjoy the marsh view!

• Visited September 2013