“Oh My Goodness!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
29 South Eats is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ash
Amelia Island, Florida
“Oh My Goodness!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We live on Amelia Island but had never tried this restaurant. With company visiting, one of whom whom suffers with numerous food allergies, we thought this might be a great place to try. And we were correct! Our guest was able to have a great dinner along with the rest of us. Dinner for four with iced tea came out to $120 and it was worth every penny. I had the Sockeye Salmon special which was amazing with mushroom risotto. One friend had the fish tacos which were homemade taco shells and really good and fresh. Another had the Mahi special over lima bean and corn succotash and it was also fresh and great. Fourth person had the shrimp and grits which he said were just wonderful. Two of us had an appetizer of the soup of the evening which was white bean with sausage. So good and so fresh! The fact that they are a "farm to table" restaurant and everything is fresh from either their garden or other local gardens and farms make it even more worthwhile. Service was great until the meal came and then the waiter disappeared. We had to sit with empty drinks for over 10 minutes before someone refilled our drinks. For the price this was not acceptable and the service is why I can't give 5 stars. We visited about 8pm on a Sunday evening so we didn't have to have reservations or wait to get a table nor was it so busy that our server was over taxed. Highly recommend this restaurant for its' award winning food!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

82% Recommend
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Best food on the Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was the best meal I had during my stay on Amelia. I had the sweet tea brined pork chop and it was superb. It came served over homemade mac n' cheese and greenbeans with blackberry preserves and may have combined to be the best bite I have ever put in my mouth. We ate here on our last night, which is probably a good thing because I would have gone back every night we were on the island if I had known how great it was. It's really small so get reservations. We were seated immediately at our reservation time and the server made sure we were fed and out in under an hour so we could make it to our ghost tour. GO HERE!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas-Fort Worth
“Fabulous Breakfast/Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Enjoyed the southern twist on some breakfast/brunch staples. Great location, great neighborhood for walking around and enjoying a leisurely Sunday afternoon. Wasn't sure if the gentleman playing the harmonica was a regular, or if we just happened to catch a little something special, but it made for a very distinct experience because of that.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paris, Texas
“Loved the concept and the fried green tomatoes but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

A group of 11 of us dined here last week. Loved the concept (farm to table and donations made from wine list etc) and those fried green tomatoes were delicious! Our waittress was very nice and very attentive to our group. Everyone seemed to enjoy their salads and appetizers but the entrees were a little lack luster. I had the honey fried chicken, which was crispy on the outside and moist but not all that flavorful (the mashed potatoes were very good though). Several folks at our table had the short ribs which they said was good but nothing to right home about. Wanted to really like this place but it fell a little short.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Gainesville, FL
“Outstanding food/locally sourced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband brought me to Fernandina Beach for my birthday weekend. We didn't have a dinner reservation for Saturday night but toured the town's various restaurant menus and decided on 29 South Eats (a Golden Spoon Award winner). We were not disappointed. The food was all amazing--fresh and locally-sourced. The menu even lets you know from which farm your food is harvested. We started with the smoked trout salad, which was absolutely delicious and my favorite dish of the entire meal, and the fried green tomato stack (two tomatoes are stacked with cream cheese between and then fried--you get three). We moved on to the sweet-tea brined pork chop with a blackberry sauce. My husband was in heaven. I had the snapper special which was ok but not nearly as exciting. Good wine and fairly good service--the only problem was that our water glasses were not kept full, and we even had to ask twice for more (when you're sitting outside during summer you need to keep hydrated!). All in all a really wonderful meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere