“One of the best meals...ever.” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Located in historic downtown Fernandina Beach, Joe's 2nd St. Bistro serves innovative cuisine in a relaxed, island atmosphere. Enjoy fresh seafood specialties in a 1900's home, or outside in a New Orleans inspired Courtyard.
Seattle, Washington
“One of the best meals...ever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I dined at Joe's for his birthday dinner and it was fantasitic. The restaurant was recommended to us by a friend and we are so glad we took him up on his suggestion. We enjoyed the shrimp cocktail appetizer first (the sauce had a bite to it, but not overpowering). The shrimp were a little smaller than I thought they would be, but the sauce and presentation made up for it.

For our entrees, I enjoyed the NY Strip, which was "divided" into 3 sections, each with a different type of sauce on it. It had a side of mashed potatoes and vegetables. My husband had the special, which was a white fish served over rice with a homemade salsa and avocado on top. It was absolutely delicious and the presentation was gorgeous.

We made a reservation and dined around 9 pm. At that point, the restaurant was pretty dead, though it could have been because it was Good Friday.

We will absolutely return - wonderful meal, wish we would have had room for dessert!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chef Ricky P, Owner at Joe's 2nd Street Bistro, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and review. We are glad you tried one of my favorites (Ny Strip) and one of our creative specials. Hopefully next time we can tempt you with one of our desserts. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip from Jacksonville.

Herndon, Virginia
“Interesting and Some Good Food, but!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I recently went to this restaurant with a friend. Had excellent Gumbo: however, the main course was prime rib(medium rare). The rib with excellant veggies and mashed potatoes came out medium to well. IT WAS SENT BACK! It was brought back, and I was told it was examined under a special light, and it was medium rare as per the waiter. I TRIED IT! Beside not looking rare, the taste and texture were that of medium to well. I took it home to a friend who likes well, and ordered more hors'd orves because I was hungry. For $60 a person, I expect a prime rib cooked as ordered, not examined under a special light and a waiter who takes my side. 12 % tip!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your experience. I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you in person. Please give me a call up here at Joe's.
Stow, Ohio
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We really enjoyed an excellent meal at Joe's. Like a lot of the restaurants in Fernandina Beach, it tends toward small - so plan ahead to get reservations. Our service was good. The décor was pleasant. the star here is the food.

My wife had a grilled salmon entrée that is hard to describe - other than creative and delicious. The sauce was sweet & savory, the salmon cooked perfectly - the sides with it also good. In went for salad & appetizers instead of an entrée. The shrimp & asparagus soup was out of this world good. My salad was good and my clams casino were great. We split a chocolate terrine for dessert - different chocolate mousses and a little chocolate cake - Wow!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. I am glad that you had such an incredible experience with us. I will share this with our staff and I know they will be happy with you kind words. Next time you are in town please say hello to either Myself or my wife, Mari.
Fairfield County, Connecticut
“Lovely dinner for three”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband, teen daughter and I enjoyed a lovely, quiet dinner here one evening last week. The food was quite good, if a bit pricey. The service was attentive. Nice, varied wine list with a range of price points.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“New chef does wonders, but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The new chef at this old standby in the tourist district does wonders with combinations, quality and presentation. But for the price, the portions are a bit skimpy. The lamb entree was mostly potatoes ( the gravy was superb). The wine list is good, but, again, pricey.