“Very nice experience - Club Level is the way to go!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island

You added The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   4750 Amelia Island Parkway, Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, FL 32034-5501   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Fernandina Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta
“Very nice experience - Club Level is the way to go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

Just got back after a 5 day/4 nite stay on a Club level room. Room was listed as a coastalview room but offers a decent view of ocean and indoor courtyard. All club level rooms are on 8th floor and have restricted access.
Valet area is very busy and crowded. Call ahead so you don't have to wait. If you don't call, you may wait 10-20 mins.
Checkin is fast and efficient.
Room is older but of a decent size with nice amenities (Bvlgari). Has balcony with chair and table.
Club lounge is fantastic. Staff at club level are very accomodating and helpful.
4 food offerings all day....
Breakfast=cereals, oatmeals, cheese spread, different breads/pastries, juices.
Lunch=Different sandwiches, cheese spread, salads
Afternoon tea=Cheese spread, tea sandwiches
Cocktails=Great dessert display and drinks.
At all times, you have access to wide assortment of newspapers, cookies, soft drinks, bottled water, self-service espresso/coffee machine, internet access with printer.
In your room, you have complimentary drinks (beer, soft drinks, water, juices).
There is a small kids playroom on club level that is open 7a-10p. And club level guests have complimentary access to Ritz Kids on Fri and Sat nites.
Beach is not bad and not crowded. Complimentary umbrellas and beach chairs.
Pool is crowded. Get there early to get chair with umbrella. Kid pool is nice but was not functional for 3 days. Nice when working. Indoor pool is nice and not crowded. Club level guests have access to spa pool as well.
Complimentary wireless access for club level.
Overall, Club is the way to go as you can save on meals for breakfast thru tea. All you have to do is dinner and then you can come back for dessert. You can tell buildings are old but service is great.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Jupiter, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

Just got back from a three night stay at the Ritz. Overall, had a great time and I give the hotel a good review. I'll start with the good and then explain some issues we had:
The Good: Beautiful grounds right on the beach. Kept spotless and clean. Comfy room. Most of the staff was very friendly and helpful. The food at the hotel restaurants was good. Pricey, but that was expected as it is the Ritz. The service in the pool area was especially good and attentive. Gave us that special Ritz treatment. We really did have a good time and enjoyed the grounds of the hotel and the attention we were given.

Now for some issues we had. When I booked our room several weeks before our trip, I requested a room with 2 double beds on the same floor and close to our friend's suite. They told me at the time it would be no problem. However, upon arrival we were told that the only double room they had available was completely across the hotel from our friends. I find it hard to believe they couldn't have worked out our request if they had simply put in a little effort, so that left a bad taste in my mouth. In order to stay close to our friends, we had to settle for a King room with one of us sleeping on a pull out chair that was not especially comfortable. The other negative was the valet parking situation. You are required to valet park, but the garage where they would normally park the cars is undergoing renovations and is closed. Therefore the valets are required to park the cars further away which of course takes them much longer. It took 30-45minutes each time we requested our car in order to get it. I was told that the garage should be back up and running in several weeks, but for the present it makes for a frustrating valet experience (nothing against the valet guys because they are busting their butts).

Despite those couple of issues, I still recommend this hotel for those wanting a relaxing, pampered vacation in a beautiful surrounding.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

My wife and I were here for a business convention/relaxing vacation. The premises are terrific, we stayed midweek, so the pool was not very crowded. The staff we incredibly attentive everywhere, but especially at the pool. Unmatched service there. The grounds were laid out great for a nice stroll and it is right on the beach to walk along the ocean.

We ate in both the sports bar (late night) and cafe (breakfast). The sports bar was great!! Good food, several TV's, 2 pool tables, very nice. The cafe had a terrific breakfast but a little pricey, granted it was a Ritz.

The room was not terrific. Bed slanted to one side, shower water smalled like salt. Plus side was the view onto the ocean and the flat screen tv and ipod radio.

We did not bring the kids on this trip, but this hotel would be great for them. Lots of grassy areas to play, obviously the beach too. The pool had a playground for kids and a separate wading pool area. There was even a kids play area with Guitar Hero, a Wii, Air Hockey, and a little movie room. When my kids (1 & 3) are older, they would have really enjoyed and it was next to the sports bar and had a Ritz staff person in there when open.

Overall, great experience. Besides, who stays in the room when you're at the beach!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Easton, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

When I read online reviews I do so with a grain of salt. I figure more people are apt to write a review of dissatisfaction as they need to vent that dissatisfaction. This is one of those reviews.

We were excited for our long weekend stay at the Ritz on Amelia Island. Just a short weekend getaway to relax and do nothing. From the start our stay at this Ritz had a bad vibe. I will not list the many shortfalls of this hotel, but suffice to say the many small problems we encountered piled up until we determined they were not aberrations. The staff is very cold and unwelcoming, snooty and snobbish are two words I would use. The property itself is nice, with a large pool that is full by 9:30 am, forcing you onto the small strip of beach which is ok, but covered with sharp sea shells. Maybe there are waiters on that beach, we weren't approached by any. Smiles and conversation from the bartenders, hostesses, and waiters are few and far between, actually there was only one waiter who was friendly.

My wife and I are not the typical Ritz clientele, but it is hardly outside of our means either. Somehow the staff sniffed our societal status out and, treated us as peons. The inattentiveness to their customers and to the details were so evident, we would watch others struggling with it as well, but what could we do? We were so turned off by the staff that we decided against some of the hotel activities we were planning: Spa, Golf, Sea Kayaking, etc. We did not want to deal with the Ritz in order to do these things. As soon as we left the grounds we could feel the negative, snooty vibe of the place dissipate and we enjoyed ourselves at the nearby town of Hernandina Beach.

I compare my stay here to a stay at the Intercontinental in Puerto Rico a month previous, and the differences are enormous. In PR, the staff was attentive and helpful and warm and friendly, at the Ritz we were an inconvenience. I would not recommend this place to friend or foe. It is awful, do not go.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

As a frequent RC flyer...I found the Amelia Island resort to pale in comparison to the level of service found at other RC's. While the beach was absolutely beautiful, they only had one pool and it was very small at that. The service was not what I would expect for a RC. I felt that I was annoying the staff if I requested something and I did not find some of them to be outwardly friendly. I don't think I would come back to this particular Ritz and I will not recommend it to anyone else. However, other RC's are fabulous.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

We received first class service as expected. The hotel surprised us with an in-room dessert personalized for our 8th anniversary. They also created a dessert with my 4 year old's name on it, which was waiting next to our anniversary dessert. The staff consistently called my child by name at each meal. It was the type of high level service you expect from the Ritz for the price. The room was great, with a partial view of the ocean. Unless you demand front row views, there is no need to pay to upgrade to an ocean view room, as all rooms have a balcony and at least some view of the ocean.

There were only small nits to pick - when I requested that housekeeping not service my room while we were inside, they thought I meant no service at all that day. That was rectified with a quick phone call. The shower curtain "rollers" were a bit rusted. My guess is that many of the disappointed reviewers are expecting the typical Ritz business traveler experience, and this hotel is different. There are families everywhere, bathing suits through the lobby are common, and the whole vibe is slightly more relaxed than your typical big city center Ritz. Nonetheless this is a world-class beach resort, and I recommend it highly.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

This is a wonderful property overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. The full service resort has everything one could possibly ask for in a luxury retreat. One caveat, however, is the tennis courts were under renovation and some in our group had to play offsite. The service by the staff is the high quality one expects at the Ritz. There are a number of good restaurant choices on property, but you will have to drive a little to find places off property. One night we had a wonderful dinner at the Salt Restaurant. The menu was varied and interesting from wild game to wonderful fish selections. The detailed presention on the different salts, hence the name, was a little much. The only complaint is that the rooms were a little worn, including a large stain in the carpet. However the hotel was planning on major cleaning the week after we left. All in all, a great stay in a beautiful location.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island? Share your experiences!