“Nice hotel on the beach with excellent service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island

You added The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   4750 Amelia Island Parkway, Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, FL 32034-5501   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Fernandina Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Simi Valley, California
“Nice hotel on the beach with excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed here with wife for a business function and have nothing but praise. Room was nice, balcony view was great, service was excellent. Shoes were picked up and dropped back off after shining wihtin an hour! Location was beautiful right on the beach, or you could stay by hotel and go to the pool. Nice hotel shops with good selection. My only complaint was the blasted a/c in the hallways. It must have been 60 degrees at all times! Ask for room in main tower; it's too far of a walk if you don't! Would definitely stay again, even though we didn't have the best weather.

Room Tip: Main tower!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My best friend and I (late 20's) stayed at the Ritz Carlton for a weekend in April. The grounds of this hotel is well kept - beautiful scenary. The service is the best I've experience anywhere. The hotel was clean and the room was a good size. We had an oceanview room on the 3rd floor. The food was excellent and spent a lot of time at the pool. The servers are great and they kept coming back to check on us. The drinks can get expensive but worth it. We ordered room service 3-4 times and it was also graet. We did not try out their signature restaurant - Salt - but heard it was amazing. They have gift shops in hotel and an excellent spa. It's huge. We each had a massage and wish I had stayed to use the rest of the spa features but time did not allow us. Great hotel with great views, food, staff and it's not far from the airport.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
colorado springs, colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Outstanding in every way.....customer service, valets, rooms, food, location, friendly staff, cleanliness. We were totally pampered throughout the duration of our stay. Truly felt our presence was appreciated from the full staff. It is obvious this is a well managed resort. Bring lots of cash for tipping as you will want to thank everyone. Our only "complaint" was the price of their mixed drinks.....high and really nothing special, especially for the prices. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Pros:
I wanted a hotel on the beach. Location and property was great, views are nice from most any room. I did not have any issues with the room. 30 mins from airport and a short drive to lovely little beach town.
Pool bar was nice although closed a bit early for me. Service was fine there, except for the one waitress who gave me a virgin drink when I did not ask for it... strange.
The main restaurant closest to the pool, where we had breakfast almost everyday, was very good. Buffet was huge and varied. Coffee excellent and oj soo good. Most days our waitress was Karen. She is wonderful!!! Has been working there 18 years her husband is pastry chef there. She gave us our best recommendation for dinner while on the island Chao (sp?)a fabulous italian restaurant in town. So great. She was just a pleasure to see everyday and you can so tell she loves her job! Thank you Karen.

Cons:I have stayed at nicer Ritz. More like an upscale Marriott.
My husband thought bathroom was small for such a nice room.
We rented a cabanna on beach one day. Even though I had a confirmation from them for this, they had no record of it. That was strange. Having to pay to rent an umbrella on beach was so strange to me. Really?? I would think more of a RC.
We decided to go to the golf clubhouse one morning for breakfast... don't. we were the only ones there and there was about 5 things on the menu, if that. It was very strange.
I agree with a previous reviewer. If there is a big convention there, I may rethink that week. There was when we were there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

What can I say we had a great time at this beautiful property. The staff personnel were very helpful. Robert, our Bellman, was very personable and full of helpful information including good restaurant referrals.
Everything was fantastic.
I will say that our room was very nice, it's the little things that jump out at you that one wouldn't expect in a 5 star property. For instance, the rug was unraveling where it met the foyer tiles; the sink fixtures and drain rings were corroded and the windows were dirty. My only suggestion is the housekeeping supervisors need to start doing more "walkabouts" to identify and correct these minor maintenance issues.
It's tuff to obtain the 5 star rating and very easy to lose it!

• Stayed April 2013
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. The facility is lovely, the beach pristine, friendly service. However, this was in spite of the annoyances caused by the arrival of a large (probably 400 people) conference. They did not have a separate breakfast area so there were long waits; we were told that there were no appointments available at the spa until after the group checked out (we ended up not using our $100 spa credit from Amex); even the spa pool was "fully booked" until my husband decided to just go at 7am. So if you have a choice of dates to travel, check with the hotel make sure that there are no large groups booked. The other really exasperating thing was that our key card did not work and we were locked out of our room several times in the first couple of days we were there. Finally after many complaints they managed to get the lock working. Everyone was very apologetic and nice but this didn't seem very 5 star to me.
We would return to this hotel, though maybe with lowered expectations. The pros outweighed the cons.

Room Tip: Rooms are not very large and decorated very much like an upscale Marriott. Try to get a room in the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fordyce, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at numerous Ritz Carltons over the years, and also at a number of other five star seaside properties. While I can't say that this is the nicest place I've ever been, it is certainly among the nicest. Location is excellent, situated directly on the ocean, a short thirty minute drive from Jacksonville Airport and five minutes from the Fernandina Beach FBO for those flying privately. Service is outstanding and golf is on site, the clubhouse literally 100 yards from the hotel lobby. The Golf Club of Amelia Island, while not top tier is nice enough nonetheless.

There are several restaurant options, including a grill at the golf course. The gourmet option, Salt, may be the nicest restaurant I've experienced. The pool area and beach services are spot on and the Spa is outstanding. For those who have been to The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island, the layout and services are very similar. The Sanctuary has an airier and a lighter feel and I would have to rate it slightly above the Ritz.

The hotel charges $10/day for wireless internet, and that is a pet peeve of mine, but in room coffee is free. Of course, everything else is hideously expensive, but if you're staying at the Ritz or Four Seasons, you know that going in. Having stayed at most of the five star properties on the Atlantic and Gulf, I would rate this resort near the top and can unreservedly recommend it.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island? Share your experiences!