“Warning: Be aware of large groups” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island

You added The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   4750 Amelia Island Parkway, Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, FL 32034-5501   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$75 Credit + Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Fernandina Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“Warning: Be aware of large groups”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. The facility is lovely, the beach pristine, friendly service. However, this was in spite of the annoyances caused by the arrival of a large (probably 400 people) conference. They did not have a separate breakfast area so there were long waits; we were told that there were no appointments available at the spa until after the group checked out (we ended up not using our $100 spa credit from Amex); even the spa pool was "fully booked" until my husband decided to just go at 7am. So if you have a choice of dates to travel, check with the hotel make sure that there are no large groups booked. The other really exasperating thing was that our key card did not work and we were locked out of our room several times in the first couple of days we were there. Finally after many complaints they managed to get the lock working. Everyone was very apologetic and nice but this didn't seem very 5 star to me.
We would return to this hotel, though maybe with lowered expectations. The pros outweighed the cons.

Room Tip: Rooms are not very large and decorated very much like an upscale Marriott. Try to get a room in the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Fordyce, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at numerous Ritz Carltons over the years, and also at a number of other five star seaside properties. While I can't say that this is the nicest place I've ever been, it is certainly among the nicest. Location is excellent, situated directly on the ocean, a short thirty minute drive from Jacksonville Airport and five minutes from the Fernandina Beach FBO for those flying privately. Service is outstanding and golf is on site, the clubhouse literally 100 yards from the hotel lobby. The Golf Club of Amelia Island, while not top tier is nice enough nonetheless.

There are several restaurant options, including a grill at the golf course. The gourmet option, Salt, may be the nicest restaurant I've experienced. The pool area and beach services are spot on and the Spa is outstanding. For those who have been to The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island, the layout and services are very similar. The Sanctuary has an airier and a lighter feel and I would have to rate it slightly above the Ritz.

The hotel charges $10/day for wireless internet, and that is a pet peeve of mine, but in room coffee is free. Of course, everything else is hideously expensive, but if you're staying at the Ritz or Four Seasons, you know that going in. Having stayed at most of the five star properties on the Atlantic and Gulf, I would rate this resort near the top and can unreservedly recommend it.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed here for a work function this week and I was pleasantly surprised and how great this hotel is! I was lucky to get put in room 232 which turned out to be a king suite overlooking the beach. The room was HUGE with 2 bathrooms, large sitting area, lots of marble and a very big patio.

We had dinner at Salt which is on site which was fantastic. Per the name, everything has to do with flavored salts. Very good and worth the visit. There is also a sports bar with pool tables, video games and lots of TVs.

The spa is one of the biggest ones I have ever seen. I believe they told me it was over 20,000 sq ft with over 30 treatment rooms, several pools, lounges, etc. Had a massage which was the perfect way to end my stay.

They also seemed to have a huge kids emphasis with lots of activities throughout the day and I saw many families taking part in all kinds of things.

Golf course is really good and challenging. Staff at the club go out of their way to do anything for you and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Try to get room 232 if it is available.
Providence RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

First off, aesthetically this is a beautiful hotel. It is well kept with an immaculate pool and a level of service that is in the top 2 or 3 hotels that I have stayed at. Upon your arrival, you are greeted by name. Every effort is made o provide whatever service you require. The rooms are clean... With comfortable beds. Our experience at the spa was first rate. The spa is large-- with a private pool and over 20 treatment rooms and several relaxation areas. The private spa pool is a little slice of heaven. The beach is also wide and beautiful to walk on.

For those traveling without kids ( or those trying to get away from their own kids for a few days) realize that this hotel caters to them--- so expect some screaming and splashing around he pool area. We found an oasis at the pool spa which is adults only and peaceful. The presence of a large number of children at he Salt Restaurant was mildly annoying but it is what it is--- if families want to pay fifty dollars an entree so their kids can have filet then knock yourselves out.

Now for a few pet peeves:

1) I am sick and tired of the nickel and dimming related to wifi access at top hotels. Personally, any five star hotels that charges extra for wifi should receive a one star deduction in my book. In this day and age where wifi is ubiquitous--- the notion of charging 10-20 dollars for wifi at a $400.00 hotel is preposterous. I may start a crusade about this with some of the rating services. Consider my 4 star rating to be a step in this direction.

2) Parking was valet only and 20+ dollars a day. I understand the parking surcharge in city hotels but you could park hundreds of cars at this hotel property without aesthetically changing anything. Comes across as a simple money grab.

3) Be careful of the 20 percent surcharge at the pool. Already overpriced services become even more than advertised.

4) The umbrella fee on the beach is a tad ridiculous at a $400/night hotel.

All in all--- I enjoyed my stay. If I brought my golf clubs I'd have probably enjoyed myself even more...

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cornelius, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I enjoyed a three night stay here, accompanying my husband on a business trip. The lobby was quite busy when we arrived, I was offered water or champagne to drink while I waited as he checked in.
We enjoyed a fantastic meal at Salt, despite not having a reservation and were treated to a delicious meal that would rival any upscale NYC restaurant.
Cafe 4750 catered to us for two meals and the plates were delicious and superbly flavoursome.
The staff at the hotel offered impeccable service and were pleasant and friendly at all times.
Our ocean front room was worth the upgrade and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at this lovely resort hotel.
My only negative point would be that you are held somewhat captive in terms of dining (price and options) unless you venture into Fernandina which is easily do-able with a $17 cab ride.

Room Tip: Pay for the best room you can afford.
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I tire of hearing wait staff and service providers say things like, "no problem," when thanked. The staff at the Ritz-Carlton - Amelia Island were better prepared for their jobs. Each one greeted me with a warm smile and used my name when appropriate. If I thanked a service provider, a response like "my pleasure" was forthcoming. Questions were promptly answered and the concierge was extremely helpful.

Rooms were generous and well-appointed. Food was excellent. Service was world class. We didn't have time for many of the resort amenities, but the fitness center had a variety of equipment, was well-lighted, and well-staffed.

What's special about this hotel? Just as you would expect, the difference is in the staff!

Room Tip: My "coastal view" room was pleasant with a nice balcony that provided a view of the beach...
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for a three night mini-break, and, at $500 per night we were grossly disappointed: housekeeping didn't bother to make up our room one day, television and one phone did not work, took over an hour to get a drink at poolside, food in 4750 was overpriced and undercooked (ice cold, actually). When we finally did get our room made up, sheets had holes in them, and towels were as worn and scratchy as those at 1960's Holiday Inns. Unbelievably bad operation for a Ritz Carlton, and can't imagine ever returning to RC, particularly at these prices. Marriott has wrecked this once elegant chain.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fernandina Beach
Residence Inn by Marriott Amelia Island
Residence Inn by Marriott Amelia...
#1 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 1,072 reviews
The Seaside Amelia Inn
The Seaside Amelia Inn
#4 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 233 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#2 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 881 reviews
Elizabeth Pointe Lodge
Elizabeth Pointe Lodge
#3 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 446 reviews
Villas of Amelia Island Plantation
Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fer...
#8 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 543 reviews

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island? Share your experiences!