“Romantic Get-a-way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island

You added The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   4750 Amelia Island Parkway, Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, FL 32034-5501   |
Hotel packages
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Florida
“Romantic Get-a-way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We selected their Bed & Breakfast special for the weekend. It was a near perfect romantic get-a-way. Our room was a coastal view which was ok. The property is beautiful; an ocean view room would have been superb. The Cafe 4750 offers a delicious breakfast buffet. The fitness center is nice and staff was wonderful. We dined in the Eight Burger Bar & sports lounge and enjoyed the food and playing pool.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great location on the beach. Beautiful grounds and comfortable rooms. Room had a side view of the ocean. room showing some age wear and tear but well decorated and kept. Staff friendly and accommodating in true Ritz style. Location is close to central shopping on Amelia Island.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Ritz – Carlton, Amelia Island
Nope!!!!!
In the movie, Groundhog Day, Bill Murray awoke each morning to a day that was a monotonous identical of the previous. Such a recurrence at the Ritz Carlton Amelia Island would actually represent a considerable improvement to the guest experience as the reality was each day was progressively worse. The beachfront Ritz Carlton is the quintessential manifestation that “beautiful design, superb craftsmanship and architecturally delightful spaces”, do not, in and of themselves, make for a luxury stay.
I reserved an ocean view one bedroom, 1100 square feet suite for the News Years holiday. On arrival, we were booked into room 340 at a rate of $727.00 per diem inclusive of taxes and fees. A $75.00 per diem resort credit was included in the booking package. In addition the per diem charges for valet parking and internet service are $20 and $10, respectively. The one bedroom suite had one and one-half baths and a large, comfortable sitting room.
The room décor was finished in a soft yellow accented with white trim. The sitting room was furnished with an entertainment credenza with large flat panel TV, casual chair, coffee table sofa, end tables with lamps. In addition, there was a large desk and chair ensemble. A personal safe was in the foyer closet. The bedroom was furnished with a king bed, twin night stands with lamps, dresser with a large flat panel TV on top. The room was finished with a settee for two. The bathroom was furnished with a separate soaking tub, dual vanities and a huge marble walk-in shower with dual shower heads. Plush terry robes and a complete range of toiletries were furnished.
The adjoining balcony was larger than the suite. Most impressive and furnished with two chaise lounges, a day bed and a large table with wicker chairs.
The hotel grounds are impressive and interspersed with Adirondack chairs and bonfire pits. The pool complex is imposing although completely unused over the New Year’s holiday because of the unseasonably COLD temperatures. The low for the night of 30 December 2012 was 32° F!!!
The hotel has two dining venues. In addition, light fare is served in the lobby lounge. Salt is the hotel’s marquis dining venue. Dinner for two including a bottle of red wine was $263 inclusive of taxes and gratuities. Table service was stellar. I found the food to be very good although not remarkable. A light lunch for two in the other dining venue, Café 4750, was $63.00 inclusive of taxes and gratuity.
Sooooooooooooooooooo………, why Nope!!!!!
Booking a premium room at a venue of this supposed caliber comes with a certain level of expectation. I was a bit “under the weather” and the morning following our arrival, my wife elected to go down alone to Café 4750 for breakfast given my desire to sleep in. She returned after an unusual and considerable length of time, a fact, I took note of. I queried as to why she was gone so long and she launched into an extended diatribe concerning the fact the staff would not sit her in the dining room and instead elected to shuffle her off to a sports lounge which did not have dining table service.
My turn. I went to Café 4750 for breakfast and was told they did not have a table for me and was told I had to sit at a bar. There were numerous open tables throughout the dining room. After a considerable wait, I commandeered a waitress (literally) to take my order which she did with great reluctance accompanied by serious attitude. My order was for eggs benedict with the request the yolks be cooked solid. I sat there for well over a half an hour watching other diners being served, many of whom came in after me.
Finally, tired of being ignored, I once again commandeered a waitress and inquired as to the status of my breakfast. Several minutes later a waitress shows up with eggs benedict, the yolks runny and not even closed to being cooked solid. I do not believe the original order was ever placed and, at that point, I gave up and walked out.
Given my wife’s and my individual experiences, the simple fact was the staff had NO interest in accommodating and serving individual diners. Scale counts. Larger parties equate to larger tabs and gratuities. Individual diners, maybe not so much.
Upon returning to my room, I called and requested to speak with the General Manager. A short time later my call was returned by an individual identifying himself as James McManemon, the General Manager. My re-count of our experience led to an apology on his part. He believed the dining room was experiencing computer problems (although these problems did not impede service to the others having breakfast in Café 4750).
Later that day, Mr. McManemon sent a complimentary bottle of wine accompanied by a note of apology expressing “hope to re-establish your credibility”.
We spent the next 36 hours avoiding Café 4750 whenever possible. The night before checking out, I managed to misplace my room key and went to the front desk to get a replacement. The clerk queried as to how we were enjoying the Club Level Concierge Services to which I stated I had no idea what he was talking about. He stated our reservation entitled us to wide range of special services which were detailed on a letter he produced for me along with a map advising us of how to locate the Concierge Lounge. Of note, the special services include breakfast in the private lounge!!! The front desk staff failed to advise us of privileges and services attendant with our reservation!!!!!
The Ritz Carlton brand promise does not apply to the Amelia Island venue. If your travel plans call for a stay in the greater Jacksonville area and you are insistent on a Marriott stay, please take note of the fact there are a Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, Spring Hill Suites and Courtyard at JAX. Odds are, they are all more likely to deliver their brand promise.
On a more pleasant note, Joe’s Second Street Bistro in nearby Fernandina Beach is an outstanding dining venue.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Amazing grounds.. Gorgeous beach. Super nice room with balcony overlooking the fireworks on New Year's Eve. Loved the breakfast buffet and the fitness center...much needed after that huge buffet. All around an excellent stay..Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

After a recent stay, the initial authorization the hotel made on my credit card remained on my account several days after the actual charges posted, negatively affecting the available credit on my card. I discovered the problem on a Saturday, and when I called the hotel, I was told I would have to wait until the accounting staff was in the office on Monday. There were other smaller problems with my stay - for example, I requested an email receipt when I checked out and was told I would receive the email later that day or the following morning, but 48 hours later I had not received he email. Had to call the hotel and request it again. In addition, on my first full day at the hotel, I returned to my room at 3:30 pm and housekeeping had not yet cleaned the room. Had to rearrange my schedule to be out of the room so it could be cleaned.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Loved the little "Salt" store and learning about the different kinds from the very knowledgeable attendant. Golf course was beautiful. Hit the coffee shop each day after my run - attendant remembered my exact drink when I returned on the second morning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Lakeland, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My first stay at a Ritz-caliber hotel. It was very nice - we stayed over July 4th weekend. The place was packed with families, mostly from Alabama/Georgia, upper middle to upper class. It took a little time to adjust to a hotel this nice, for example, I packed a beach bag (towel, sun glasses, water bottles, mat to lay on, etc). Ha, I didn't need any of that stuff, they had chairs, towels, ice water, all of that stuff at the beach for us.

Pros:
-Restaurants: Salt was hands down the best food I've had - I did a blind menu and it was superb.
-Spa: amazing!! Huge, it has its own pool with waterfall, hot tub for adults only
-Beach/Boardwalk: very scenic. I still prefer the West Coast of Florida, but the East coast has more waves and a Northern/Cape Code-like feel.
-Planned activities - you never need to leave the hotel, they had star gazing, fire works, etc.
-People: Most of the people were nice.

Cons:
-Pool: The main pool area was nuts - way too crowded.
-Not so romantic: It was definitely a family vacation spot, not exactly what my husband and I were looking for.
-Rooms: they were a little old/dated looking for a hotel this nice.
-Price: between room, cost of food, valet, and spa we were spent after two days. It was a memorable two days, though.

Room Tip: Pick an outside room - even from the side we could hear the waves.