“Amazing place, Fantastic Staff!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island

You added The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   4750 Amelia Island Parkway, Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, FL 32034-5501   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Fernandina Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
West Yorkshire
“Amazing place, Fantastic Staff!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Having read the last few reviews I was a bit apprehensive regarding the construction work that was mentioned. However I needn't have worried. All the work mentioned has been done & there was no sign of it or any disruption because of it. This hotel is an amazing place, in an amazing location. The style is very classical. All Italian marble & stunning chandeliers. The staff are exeptional! Nothing is too much trouble for them - & so polite!! Whenever I ordered room service, the person delivering it would introduce themselves at the door and ask permission to enter the room. All staff knew my name & I was even more impressed when the door to the cab delivering me to the hotel was opened by a young porter who also knew my name!! I went to the concierge's office one morning to enquire about something & he asked whether I had explored the hotel yet. As it was my first morning I said I hasn't, so he immediately took me on a guided tour, introducing me to all of the restaurant staff as we called by. He gave me his card & was exceptionally helpful throughout my stay.

Amelia island is a 'barrier' island with protected sand dunes which are a haven for wildlife. You are not allowed to walk on the dunes, so there are boardwalks from the hotel across the dunes to the beach, which make a really unusual feature that just adds to the overall charm of the place. The hotel also have love seats & wood burning braziers nestled around in secluded little areas among the dunes, where they will provide you with a duvet, and marshmallows to snuggle up next to a brazier and watch the sunset - how romantic & amazing is that?? There are free activities arranged by the hotel almost everyday, from salt tasting ( ! ) to collecting sharks teeth along the beach.
The whole place is spotlessly clean - the grounds are immaculate. The spa pool (separate to the main inddor & outdoor pools), is amazing. It's a heated, salt water pool, far better than the others in my opinion. If you're not using the spa, you can pay $25 per day & have exclusive use of all the spa facilities. This is definitely worth doing. Fot that you get access to the spa pools, changing rooms, sauna, steam rooms, relaxation rooms (ladies & co-ed) which have complimentary hot & cold drinks & snacks & endless towels. Hair dryers/hair spray / deodorant etc etc. You can come & go as you please all day - very well worth while. The food in all the restaurants is exceptional (though can be a bit pricey in 'Salt', but it has won awards for it's food & service). I can't fault it & would love to return someday.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

The Ritz hosted the Amelia Island Concours de'Elegance this year and they did a grand job. You can't do much better than Dinning, wine and gift shops are all fabulous. I love the outdoor sitting areas with the fire pits on the beach. This is a lovely facility and a grand hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Stayed for the Concours d'Elegance auto show so needless to say the hotel was packed with not only guests, but overflow from the show itself. The staff seemed to handle the event extremely well and smiled constantly. Something to be said for "southern charm"

Hotel appears to have completed the renovations on the property and the newly decorated rooms are nice but a bit modern for some peoples tastes.

Things to try...
Try to grab a seat at night by the fire pit. When the sun goes down things get quiet out back and it's very peaceful.

Pool area is great. Well kept, clean and staffed heavily during the peak times of the year.

The beach.. while I have read other posts regarding beaches are everywhere.. this one is quite a bit more deserted and easier to keep up with smaller members of the family.

Concierge can point you in the direction of some excellent restaurants off site in close proximity to the hotel.

Bottom line for me.. You get what you pay for. If you like to be recognized by name with the staff in both the restaurants and hotel itself, this is the place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Just back from a stay at The Ritz-Carlton Amelia Island, and had a truly wonderful time. The warmth and friendliness of the staff reminded me of what I've been missing when staying at lesser resorts. How long has it been since a waitress said it was her pleasure to serve you, and you truly believed it? A long time for me, yet I believed it consistently here. Everyone I encountered was unfailingly polite and sincere, right from the front desk employee who, at check-in, seemed to know who I was.

I had a "coastal view room" which looked into the central courtyard and to the beach beyond. There was a lovely view from my private balcony. The sliding door leading to the balcony was the heaviest and most sound-proofed I have ever encountered. One morning, I was told we had experienced a torrential rain storm in the wee hours of the morning. Warm and snug in my room, I heard nothing. Sleeping was wonderful with a comfortable king-size bed and pillows that were like clouds. With two of these pillows under my head, I could sleep through anything.

I tried each of the hotel restaurants and cafes during my stay. The food and service was very good in each of them, but a dinner at Salt, the hotel's fine-dining restaurant, was sublime. If you go, forgo the standard menu and try the Chef's tasting menu. We had five gourmet courses including Salt's take on 'steak and eggs,' which was cooked on a heated himalayan salt block. I still dream of the dessert, a Grand Marnier souffle. I have rarely been served by a waitress who was more knowledgeable, helpful and attentive. When my ginger ale was half-gone, a new glass materialized. She brought multiple types of flavor-infused salt to our table, each picked to enhance the flavor profile of each dish. At the end, we were each given a gift of a small box of our favorite salt, a delicious smoked salt called 'Yakima.' This meal was not just good, it was the best meal I've ever eaten, and I've eaten at some terrific restaurants around the world.

I said the hotel was nearly perfect. I need to mention one small thing that did not go as desired. Each room is equipped with a complimentary coffee and tea service. Accompanying this service is a checklist the guest is asked to fill out. The card says that our preferences, as expressed on this card, will be fulfilled each day as the maid and turn-down service work in the room. On the first day, I checked my desire for decaf tea and Splenda. I checked this every day of my stay. The one thing that never again showed up on my tray was decaf tea with Splenda. Not a huge issue, but why ask if you are not going to follow through?

The beach, just beyond some protected sand dunes, is wide and 13 miles long and is never crowded. It's like having an almost private slice of paradise. The hotel is a big property that handles crowds well. There are lots of supervised activities for kids. I've rarely experienced a more relaxing location.

In summary, the hotel is big, beautiful, and lovingly cared-for with terrific amenities, but it is the staff that really sets the Ritz-Carlton Amelia Island apart. This is a wonderfully-run property with what seems to be an engaged and empowered staff.

Despite what I've read in a few recent reviews, I saw and heard no construction during my stay. I know that the hotel has been undergoing a major renovation, but I believe it is all but completed now.

Room Tip: Chose a king size bed or two doubles based on your individual needs.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
State College, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

This was our first stay at a Ritz Carlton resort and we were not disappointed. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our newly decorated ocean side room was lovely and we enjoyed sitting on our porch and the ocean view and the sound of the waves. We enjoyed spa services and the outdoor whirlpool reserved for spa guests. It was also convenient to be next to the golf course. We also enjoyed listening to a great band on Friday night in the Lobby Bar and sitting by the outdoor gas fire pit, talking to other guests. Considering the rate we paid ($296 AAA), Having seen the properties ranked above this one, I consider this the best value at Amelia Island.

Room Tip: We were in room 717, which was the closest you could get to the ocean and still be in a coastal view...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this resort to celebrate his birthday. We are loyal Ritz customers and have been to most of their properties. What stands out with Amelia Island's ritz is the friendliness of the staff. The resort itself is situation on the beach. Most of the construction was done by the time we arrived (March 2-5). We were a bit disappointed that the Club Level was still under construction as we usually like to have access to that. The weather was a bit cold, but the pool is heated. Definitely dine at their fabulous restaurant Salt during your stay.

We were given a very nice room in the main building on the highest floor (8th) with an ocean view. We asked for an upgrade if available, and on our 3rd night, we were accomodated with a nice oceanfront suite (thanks Megan!)

We got services at their Spa which allows access to their facilities (including a private pool, sauna, steam room) all day.

In general, we were very pleased with our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room that is in the center of the hotel (which will give you a direct view)
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenwich, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Took customers here for a symposium and thought the place was average. I am not a huge fan of Ritz Carlton because they have that very "old" style decor. This one was no different. The location was fine if you like Florida. Personally there are many more places in the world I would prefer to spend my time. Food was average and the town itself was very average. Would I return here on my own dime--no. There are so many beaches in the world and this was not very spectacular.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island? Share your experiences!