This was the first time for my wife and I to try a B&B. On the one hand, I'm glad we picked this one. On the other hand, all others will have a hard time living up to the Addison.
The main house, our room (#8), and the beautiful grounds were all very clean and well maintained. My wife is the classic germophobe when it comes to travelling and she was as comfortable at the Addison as she is in our own home.
Bob and Shannon were as gracious hosts as anyone could hope to find. Always around, but never "in your business." They claim to be rookies at this whole inkeeper thing, but I think they've secretly been doing it for lifetimes. How else can they be so good at it? It truly felt like we were staying with old friends after just a few hours.
The food was fantastic. We considered staying one more night just for another breakfast! The inn has a covered porch attached to the main house and overlooking the private courtyard. This is the place to be for breakfast. You can also choose to dine inside the main house's dining room, or take breakfast in your room. But who goes to Florida to stay inside? (P.S. buy a cookbook from the inn. It has the Orange Pancake recipe in it along with a lot of other really good ones.)
The Addison is not located on the beach, but in the historic district of Fernandina Beach (the town, not the sandy stuff). The beach is a 2 minute car ride or a 10 minute bike ride. If you feel up to it, you could walk to it. The inn has bikes available. They're great for exploring the side streets of the town. Bob's bike collection is...umm...eclectic, but that's one of the many charms of this place.
They have beach towels, chairs, and beach umbrellas, so don't worry about hauling that stuff with you.
Not everything can be absolutely perfect so there must be something bad...Well yes. If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room that doesn't face the street (#8 does). The inn is about a block and a half off of a busy road that has some semi-truck traffic moving all night to some factories a few miles up the road. By busy I mean by small town standards. It's a two-lane road, not the D.C. Beltway, but enough to bother a light sleeper.
If you plan time on the beach, don't stick around Main Beach for too long unless you want lifeguards. There are small parking areas all along the beach nestled in between houses and marked with "Beach Access #X" signs. These are all public access areas and you can probably find a stretch of beach all to yourself, even in the busy season.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Addison on Amelia Island, a romantic Bed and Breakfast Inn nestled in a historic seaside village in Northern Florida. Three antebellum style buildings surround a central courtyard containing a three-tier fountain, lush gardens and winding brick pathways. The verandah, the social center of the inn, overlooks the courtyard. This is where you enjoy a delicious breakfast that is prepared and served by your innkeepers each morning and where you can join us for a glass of wine and appetizers while making new friends at the afternoon Happy Hour. Fourteen guest rooms seamlessly blend the elegance of a bygone era with the modern amenities, services and conveniences that today’s discriminating traveler expects. Each guest room has a private bath, some with oversized jetted tubs, with thirsty Turkish cotton towels and Green bath amenities. Luxurious bed linens, lots of large down-filled pillows and comfortable mattresses provide a good night’s sleep so that you awake refreshed and ready to enjoy your day. All guest rooms are air conditioned and free WiFi is available throughout the property. Complimentary bicycles and beach gear, including towels, chairs and umbrellas, are available for our guest’s use while exploring our beautiful island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with T4B so you can book your The Addison on Amelia Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Addison On Amelia Island Hotel Fernandina Beach
- The Addison On Amelia Island Fernandina Beach, FL