“Wonderful Spot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort

You added Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort to your Saves list
Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   39 Beach Lagoon, Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, FL 32034   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Fernandina Beach
Aspen, Colorado, United States
“Wonderful Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

While a little off the beaten track it's well worth visiting. We stayed in a villa called Turtle Cove which is about a mile from the main lodge, which I'm sure would turn many off but we loved the separation. For example the pools and beach at the main hotel were crowded and kids everywhere versus at the villa it was quiet and remote even though beach and pool were still available.

But on the negative side, support for the remote villas from the mother ship, main Omni hotel, seemed limited at best while a separate villa support staff or even phone number did not seem to exist. For example when we checked in our unit was completely open to the neighboring units assuming by housekeeping but while I just closed and locked the doors to the neighboring unit, that could have caused issues. Also while each Villa unit appeared to have separate wireless Internet there was NO information available on the name of the wireless site for my unit, or the access password and when I did finally obtain it was a full 15 char wep code, really necessary?

But the morning sunrise over the ocean this am more than made up for everything!

Room Tip: Do you want main concrete hotel or villas?
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I visited the resort for a conference.

Check in was quick. While my room was a further jaunt from the lobby, it was clean, had a nice patio and view of the ocean. Internet via wi-fi worked well.

Pool was lovely.

Service was excellent during my stay. Be sure to sign up with their loyalty program for some added perks.

Our conference provided transportation so I didn't need a car. If visiting the island again, I'd rent a car.

• Stayed June 2013
Atlanta, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The hotel staff were excellent. The food on the property is nothing to look forward to. I am not a cook, but I could have cooked the same poor tasting as in their nicer restaurant. Plus the service at all the restaurants except the Sunrise restaurant were poor. We returned our food once as two of us did not get what we ordered. When they brought it back 30 minutes later--it was wrong again. We just put our hands in the air and just ate what they gave us.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Omni_Amelia_Island, Manager at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for providing your feedback but I'm sorry to hear you did not receive excellent service in our restaurants or enjoy your food. I have shared your experience with our food and beverage management for review. We hope you'll dine with us again as usually our culinary outlets receive great accolades and we would like another chance to wow you.
Pittsburgh, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Omni Vacation: Check in was very complicated and we did not get the room we were promised by email and confirmation #. Our friends, who came to the resort based on our recommendation of Omni, were also given different rooms than they were promised. This took several hours as rooms were not ready til almost 5 when check in is at 3pm. Our friends had to sit in their car with 4 children and a car full of groceries for 2 hours until matters were resolved. We were also told by other guests that they had many problems checking in. I just don't understand why we were sent an email describing our room and given a confirmation # if that is not what is given when checking in. When making reservations, we were told everything else is reserved but it was so easily moved when we were bumped to different rooms. The first thing we did was eat in the ocean side restaurant and the chicken in my salad was under cooked, to which they offered us a free dessert. When we got back to our room we had to call maintenance for a broken screen door out into the patio, a broken lamp, and NO hot water when showering. Which was one of two days without hot water.not fun for taking showers. The second day of our stay, someone from housekeeping walked into our room without knocking and said we were thought to be checking out that day. Luckily, we were all dressed. Later in the day I had to ask for cleaning service to be done to the room and for clean towels since it was not done the day before. The hotel delivered 2 bottles of Arnold Palmer and offered us a free cabana for the day. It rained for 2 days, which can not be helped, but on the second day, I asked the man at the cabanas to have 4 chairs And a table. We only had 2 chairs and no table the whole time we got to spend in the cabana which was not long because of the rain. Also, when we got back to the hotel, the game room was closed for painting, which left the kids with nothing to do since it was raining. With a 50-70% chance of rain for 2 days, I would think it was taken into consideration before closing. The third day of our trip, I had asked for a clean robe to be delivered to our room. We were supposed to have 2 robes in the room upon arrival but only had one. I did get the robe dirty, but asked for a new one which I never got and had to ask 2 times again the next day before the were delivered. During our stay, when cleaning service did come to our room, they didn't arrive until after 4:30pm. We were in the room taking showers and trying to get ready for evening plans. Since the cleaning was not done earlier when we were not in the room, we had to ask them to come back several times. Since most of them do not speak or understand English, it was difficult to communicate. During the week, I used the in room coffee/tea and mugs and packs of coffee and tea, which were never replaced. I had called the front desk at 8:15am to deliver some more to my room, which they did not and had to ask, yet again, when I stopped by the front desk on my way to the beach. Among other things, the cashier at the Amelia Shop did not seem to know if they sold gift cards at the resort an seemed bothered to be talking at all. I had to got to the front desk in the lobby 3 different times to get one because no one knew where they were or how to sell one to me. Then, when the kids were playing a balloon game on deck which had all the children trying to pop each other's balloons, 2 of the resort workers popped our kids balloons to end the game. When our kids asked why they did that, they were told "somebody has to win", which was decided for them and left our kids disappointed. I do not want anything from this hotel and I certainly do not want a gift bag full of crackers and cans of soda upon my departure. As an Omni select guest,I simply expected better service and to get the value of what we paid for. I never raised my voice, got impatient, acted out,or demanded things when I had to ask several times for things over and over again. I do not blame each individual for their wrong doings but expect everyone working at the resort to be on the same page and to know the resort and the procedures at hand, which did not seem to be the case at all. Maybe the resort should have a training day for workers so that everyone knows what the protocol is for customer service.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. I apologize you had so many issues during your stay with us, your experience was not up to our standards and it is unacceptable. Your review has been shared with our management team for review with our staff and each issues will be addressed in training sessions for the particular departments. We do hope you'll return to visit us again in the future to allow us the opportunity to provide you the customer service we are known for.
Flemingsburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

While we were very impressed by The Plantation and all it had to offer, especially the fabulous Sunrise Cafe's breakfast that concierge Tom recommended was a must eat every morning. It was $20 for adults and $10 for children, but it was worth every single dime. The only glitch we had in our impromptu stay was the fact that the hotel captures large amounts of "daily incidental fees", so be sure you have plenty on your credit card to cover what they deem necessary. The beautiful beach access and kid friendly activities at the pool are so much fun and very relaxing. The only thing I wasn't impressed by was the $30 beach rental fees that were prorated when after 2 hours in the storm brewed in for the day. It was the same for the boogie board rental, which while it wasn't their fault, they weren't servicing us to our shade. If you want to be feel special and feel very secure on vacation, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bluffton, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Convention "only" oriented. Finding food in main hotel is a nightmare. No restaurant near main area, bar food is horrible. A bagel in room is $15.00++. Shampoo being refilled?? Golf courses lucky to rate a 6 on a scale of 10. Disjointed, drive all over the Plantation between holes.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Omni_Amelia_Island, Manager at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay at the Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort. Unfortunately, it seems as though we did not deliver the same exceptional experience to you that we try to provide to all of our guests. We apologize if you had difficulty finding our Oceanside Restaurant, which is located directly in front of the hotel lobby. And it seems as though you might have been overcharged for your bagel, which is listed on our room service menu at $5. If you could send a copy of your receipt, we'd be more than happy to refund the difference. Please contact me directly at cboek@omnihotels.com and I will be sure to sort this out for you. And we do apologize for our golf course inconveniencing you in any way. Being a Links style golf course, the drives between holes will generally be longer because of the architectural layout. Typical Links style golf will start you close to the clubhouse and continue to move you further away from the central location until you actually finish your round. Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.
Tega Cay SC, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Wife and I took our 1 and 3 year old kids on family vacation to this resort. It was hard finding a place that was both family friendly and luxurious, but the Omni Amelia Island was exactly what we were looking for. It is an expansive resort with all sorts of things to do: nature excursions, golf, pools, beach, tennis, spa, gym...etc. Pool service was good and pools were clean and well planned out (adult pool and family pools). Activities were fun and well executed (night time movies by the pool, smores on beach, etc...). Sunrise breakfast buffest was EXCELLENT. A buffet that costs $20 would normally get a pass from me, but this was truly worth it (small kids eat free), we actually went every morning. We did have some hiccups with our A/C not working great and hot water in the shower not always available. Despite those issues, we had a great time. Perfect vacation if you want pool/beach/family fun.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Been to Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!