“Almost paradise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort

You added Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort to your Saves list
Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   39 Beach Lagoon, Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, FL 32034   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Fernandina Beach
Pennsylvania
“Almost paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My family and I spent six nights at this wonderful resort. Beautiful grounds and construction is almost completed. Staff is top notch, housekeeping attentive and restaurants are among the best we've experienced (food allergies gladly accommodated). The only things keeping me from giving thd Omni a five star rating is hours of ths market and shops and lack of a small onsite store off the lobby with snacks and drinks available early and late.

Room Tip: All hotel rooms have ocean views
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Visit_OAIP, Manager at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are pleased you enjoyed your vacation. Of course, we would love for you to rate us as five star, so I will pass along your recommendations for longer hours and easy access to snacks and drinks. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have stayed at other Omni properties and was very pleased, which is why I did not hestitate to book this one ( two rooms x 5 nights, costing $3,200.00!) for our Easter Vacation. Even though they made me very aware during booking that contstruction was being completed, the construction was the least of our issues. First when booking, which I called to do since I wanted adjoining rooms, I was not told the main room with the king bed would be a handicap accessible room, nor was I told this at check in. This type of room means less counter ( virtually none) space in the bathroom and a shower stall with no water run off control. Meaning everytime we took a shower, most of the bathroom floor was very wet and basically the bathroom is always damp and musty smelling. A daughers room had rsut stains in the bath tub. Keep in mind while making the reservation I was told "all newley remodeled rooms", clearly not the case. While this was an issue it was not nealry as large an issue we found in my daughters connecting room. In the middle of the floor between the two beds it was clear someone had recently been sick, as in threw up. We noticed the spot immediately but the odor was masked due do to some kind of cleaning effort, however after our two full days of being in the room, the order was sickening. I went to the front desk at 10:00 AM, and nicely asked them to have the room cleaned, specifically the very large spot on the carpet while we were gone, which I said would be about 2-3 hours. I was told it would be taken care of immediately. Upon our return 3 hours later, nothing had been done. I went to the lobby and spoke with the manager, explained how diasspointed we were with both rooms, how they should never have put us in the room with fresh vomit smell in it, and the lack of effort to even clean it. I also explained how if we were not out of our room by 9:00AM each morning we had to wait until after 7 PM for house cleaning to come back. Who is out of there room at a beach resort by 9:00 on vacation? The one night when house cleaning did come back, they left us no bath towels so we had to call at 11:30 at night to receive them. The manager on duty said they would take care of cleaning the vomit odor right away,,, 2 hours later house keeping finally arrived, with no special effort to clean the odor or carpet. It still smelled like vomit the remainder of our vacation. We simple covered it with towels after spraying it with perfume. Honestly cannot wait to get out of this resort and would never recommend a stay here. The real insult was never even getting a follow-up call from anyone in management, no effort for a reduced rate on a room that should never have been made available to sleep until until properly cleaned. For $300.00 a night x 2, I expect a great deal more. I have stayed in 300.00 a night room all over the country, I know what quality is and this is not it. Overall a not very pleasant stay, would never stay at an Omni again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Well, this isn't good at all! I am sorry you had this experience at our resort. Obviously, I will bring this to the General Manager and Director of Housekeeping's attention immediately. Since I don't think any other words I type here will make you feel better, will you please contact me, Alayna Oram at aoram@omnihotels.com, at your convenience so we can make this right? Again, please accept my apologies.
Fernandina Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We just returned from a one night stay at the Omni Amelia Island Plantation. Since all rooms in the hotel were booked, we took the villa option. The villa is about a half mile from the hotel and the restaurants but there is a shuttle service from the villa to the hotel.

As noted in other reviews, construction is not yet completed. The entry road was narrow and golf carts were parked alongside the road giving a tacky, sloppy feel.

At check in, the room was not ready. When asked, the front desk associate Michael willingly agreed to give us a complimentary drink while waiting for the room to be ready. The parking when you pull up to register was so crowded, we felt as if we barely avoided other cars backing into us.

The villa itself was an older but very nicely appointed 1 bedroom, one living/dining room suite although as has been noted in other reviews, the bedding was not what you would expect in a 4 star property--very thin blanket and limp comforter and the sheet had some threadbare patches. The view was of the ocean as promised with a balcony, but the glass on the dining room and cocktail tables were scratched. There were nice granite counter tops and seemingly new appliances in kitchen and a granite counter in the bathroom.

The hotel lobby lounge is attractive but was understaffed. The outdoor pool area with an "eternity" pool was very crowded. Although this was spring break, it appeared to me that the space was too small to accommodate the number of people at the hotel. Lounge chairs were crammed together.

We had to wait a while for table service, but once our order arrived the food was good.

Room service to our room was ordered and was delivered in a timely manner for both breakfast and dinner. The options were limited, but we enjoyed everything we ordered and ate it at the dining room table in our room. We also had Easter brunch in the Sunrise East restaurant which offered beautiful seating overlooking the ocean. The brunch options were generally very good but not as many dishes were offered as is usual for an upscale brunch price.

Room Tip: When I called, I asked for a room that overlooked the ocean and I did get it. Rooms on higher floor...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Omni_Amelia_Island, Manager at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your remarks! We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. You are correct, we are still finishing the construction on the final section of the new wing and on the pedestrian breezeway. We have been working with our general contractor to make sure this impacts our guests as little as possible.

During Spring Break many families rent the golf carts we offer to easily get around property. They had been parking them near the entrance of the resort. However, we recently designated a parking area near the hotel for golf carts only. We believe this will keep the entrance neat and tidy! We apologize if this affected your arrival experience though. During season, the valet area can be busy. However, I am pleased you were able to enjoy a cocktail while everything was worked out. Due to input like yours, we recognize that we need to increase our staffing levels and are making those adjustments. Thank you!

Our new pool deck is the largest in northern Florida with our 30,000 square feet of space. There is actually a chaise lounge at the pool for every bed in the hotel. We also created tiered lounge seating so all of the chaises are on varying levels and each one has a beautiful view of the ocean, so I am disappointed that you weren't impressed with the space.

Although I am pleased you enjoyed your food, I am sorry you felt there were not enough selections. The breakfast room service menu includes eight signature dishes, as well as a variety of hot & cold cereals, pastries, yogurts, smoothies and fruit. The dinner room service menu includes eight entrees. And the all day menu, which is served from 11 AM to 11 PM, includes five appetizers, seven soups & salads, five sandwiches and five desserts, as well as six children's entrees.

We agree we still have room for improvement, but feel we are making strides everyday to exceed our guests expectations. We hope you visit us again soon!
Sandy Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I just returned from a 4 night stay, which had been planned for several months. My first experience at an Omni property (Bedford Springs) was over the Christmas season, and my family and I were so pleased with the stay that I reserved my Spring holiday at the AI Plantation. In doing my research on the property, I saw that the renewal/renovation was scheduled to be completed close to my date of arrival. I read as many reviews from other patrons, called the property, and even went so far as to call the local visitors center to find out the status of the construction. Therefore, when I arrived to find trucks and workers, I was not surprised. During my stay, the majority of the construction was being done on the walkway in front of the hotel, and yes, it was dusty and noisy. We soon found another path to get to the lobby by circumventing the work and it quickly became a non issue. We stayed in the Sunrise tower, which was further away from the pools, but also very quiet. We usually got back to the room around 10pm and heard no noise at all until around 8:30 - 9am.
Specific ways to improve:
The pool area wasn't kept tidy - leftover food plates, towels, and trash left around the lounge chairs detracted from the overall beauty of the place.
Housekeeping was very good, but some days were exceptional (toiletries were organized on the sink, electronics were set neatly on the tables). It would be nice to have a consistent level of service with a personal touch.
The in-room booklet doesn't have a specific list of all the restaurants with menus, and activities and prices. Maybe this is a move to go all electronic, but guests should be aware of all the information and how to obtain it. One night when we were there, a kids movie was being shown by the pool, but I didn't see the information listed anywhere on the calendar. There were about 10 people watching it, which doesn't make sense when the hotel was packed with families for the holiday.
Positive reviews:
Staff was pleasant, helpful and attentive, at all the places we visited at the resort (mini golf/tennis/pool/bikes/Falcon's nest/Oceanview Grill/Sunrise Cafe), housekeeping, tram service, valet - every encounter with staff was positive.
We loved how family friendly the hotel was, and how many activities were available. I rented a car thinking we would feel the need to go elsewhere to stay busy, but we never left the property over our 4 day stay.
-I appreciated the attention to detail - for example,the evening of the outdoor movie in Canopy park was a bit chilly, and there was a staff person handing out blankets for us to use while watching the move. Nice touch.
My boys loved the game room. They met new friends and enjoyed playing air hockey and video games.
Overall, I can see why families have been coming here year after year. We truly enjoyed our vacation, look forward to coming back again.

Room Tip: Sunrise tower is quiet during the renovations, and even though it is further from the lobby, I would...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your comments. We are happy that you enjoyed Omni Bedford Springs so much that you decided to come visit us! You are right...we are still figuring a few things out. Rest assured, the pool will be maintained to a higher standard than you experienced this visit and our goal is to always provide exceptional, consistent service with a personal touch in housekeeping. I am especially grateful for your feedback on the in-room booklet. We recently launched an online weekly resort guide that provides all of the details of our resort. I will find a better way to inform guests of its existence! I want to sincerely thank you for your recognition of our staff! They are working so hard to learn the new resort and to simultaneous create memorable experiences for our guests. It is words like yours that keep them smiling! I will definitely share your review with the team. (Actually, I share all reviews with the team...sharing yours will simply be fun!) I will make a special note about the small touches, such as the organized toiletries and the warm blankets. I agree it is the little things that make a big impact. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back - for years and years to come!
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed in a villa which is "controlled" by the Omni but Omni does not monitor standards within each, privately owned villa. The location on the beach was lovely and the villa was spacious with a nice kitchen. But the bedding is not good (thin nasty coverlet with thin hospital-like blanket) and the promise of a private pool was not kept + no wifi + one of the bathroom tubs would clog. The main pool is nicely redone, but over spring break the staff clearly didn't know what they were doing or how to keep up. It was laughable. It's a nice family environment, but hopefullly by the summer crowds, they will get their act together. I agree with a lot of the other reviews - nice to bike around (oh yes, we were given bikes and a golf cart b/c we had to wait 2+ hours for our villa to be ready) - but the place needs a lot of systems improvement if they want to give the Ritz a run for their money. The front desk staff was nice enough but I sense they are probably tired of all the complaints.

Room Tip: stay in the hotel not a villa
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
You are right...Omni manages a rental program that includes a variety of villas on the resort property, but we do not own them. We are actively working with private owners in our rental program to make the villas the best they can be. Our maintenance team does service the villas in our program, so if you ever have an issue, such as a clogged tub, we are just a phone call away!

We reopened less than a month ago and our staff is working very hard to learn all of the new facilities and programs - and there are a lot of them! I am sorry that you experienced some telltale signs of our learning curve. I can honestly say we are improving each and every day and I am very proud of the heart our associates are showing! Although we are still learning how to best serve all of our guests at the new resort, we do try to compensate if we make a mistake. We are sorry you had to wait for your villa, but are happy you enjoyed our efforts - bikes and a golf cart - to make it right. We hope to see you again soon!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This place is a joke. One of our worst vacation experiences of ALL times. Service was terrible, food selection was limited. Not all resturants are open for all meals so you basically eat the same thing over and over again. The hotel was still under construction and we were put in an old room not one of the renovated rooms like advertised. Pools were cold AND they charge $20 a towel at the pool and won't refund the charge until you return the towel! This place is ridiculous!!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Visit_OAIP, Manager at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Our resort just celebrated its 40th year anniversary. Many of the families that came in the early years with their young kids are still coming here with their grown kids and grandkids. Some are even bringing their great grandkids now. That really illustrates what our overall goal is…to make vacations so wonderful that you want to come back year after year after year. Obviously, we fell far short of that goal with you. We apologize for that.

We do have nine restaurants on property. Four of them are open for breakfast, four for lunch and five for dinner. They range from an ocean-side restaurant serving Floribbean cuisine, to a southern-inspired bar and grill on the marsh, to a bistro on a lake. I am not sure if we can entice you to give us another chance, but if we can I hope you get to experience all of our culinary options.

The final building in the new wing of the hotel is still under construction. We are working with the general contractor to minimize any impact on our guests over the next few weeks as everything gets wrapped up. If you would like a room in the new wing, please request that when you make your reservation. We would be happy to accommodate you if there is availability.

Both of our pools are heated, however, we have been experiencing unseasonably low temperatures. Unfortunately, it is taking longer to heat in the mornings than we expected. We do offer two hot tubs on the new pool deck and a heated indoor pool at our Health & Fitness Center.

Towels are complimentary to all resort guests. There is only a charge if they are not returned.

I hope I have addressed all of your concerns and that you will consider staying with us again. Regardless of your decision, we sincerely appreciate your comments and thank you for sharing them with us.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The Good.

This is a beautiful property with a gorgeous beach, stunning new pools, tiered lounge chairs and great outdoor fire pits. The new lobby is lovely -- beachy without being kitchsy -- and it all feels very high-end and nicely done.

There is lots to do -- golf, swimming, bikes, tennis, spa, lots and lots of kids' activities -- and the shops and restaurants are nice too.

The Bad.

The hotel is UNDER CONSTRUCTION. There are large sections that are not finished. There is a huge dirt courtyard with palm trees laying in it. There are entire sections of the property that aren't even close to done. There is not construction in the lobby or pool or beach area so we honestly didn't see any construction the first day we arrived. The first night we stayed in what we were told was a "Premier Room" in the hotel. We were awakened at 8:00 a.m. by loud banging on metal. It sounded like someone was trying to play steel drums outside our door. We came from another time zone so 8:00 a.m. felt really early! The noise never stopped and we finally gave up trying to sleep. It also didn't help that the maid was pounding on our door at 8:30 a.m.

We moved to a villa the next day and, since the property is sold out, we were grateful we could move at all. I liked the villa much better than the hotel room even though it didn't have some of the amenities the hotel room did -- down comforters, down pillows, On Demand all TVs or WIFI. It did have a great view, lots of space and peace and quiet.

The Ugly.

The service is really poor. The Front Desk staff are not warm or welcoming. We had to make the same requests repeatedly and each time we were made to feel like we were "bothering" the people who helped us. A woman at the front desk actually walked away from my husband to take a phone call, while he was standing there, and didn't come back.

The villas are independently-owned and when you stay in one you can use the resort amenities but are kind of left to fend for yourself beyond that. There were no sheets, blankets or pillows for the pull-out bed. We called housekeeping to bring them and, when they finally arrived, they just handed them to my husband at the door and didn't offer to actually put them on the bed.

We asked the Concierge about one of the activities for our children and she didn't know any of the details, which seemed odd, so she called and got the information for us, which we appreciated. However, when we got to the Nature Center, where the activity took place, we learned that we needed a reservation to participate. The Concierge should have known that and told us that ahead of time.

What makes a resort great is the service. The staff here clearly have not been given customer service training. It also seems like they haven't had a lot of "product training" either and aren't really versed in the resort programs. In my opinion, this will not be a truly high-end resort until the professionalism and graciousness of the staff match the beautiful new resort structure.

Room Tip: Until the construction is truly complete I would not stay in the hotel. Choose a villa instead to g...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Visit_OAIP, Manager at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for starting with the good! We sincerely appreciate your kind words. They are music to our ears! Also, thank you for sharing the bad and the ugly too. We rely on your feedback to learn what we are doing right - and what we are doing wrong. There are areas of the resort that are still under construction. We have tried to keep them contained and, originally, thought they would not impact our guests. We apologize that we were wrong and it affected your stay. We are working very closely with our general contractor to minimize any possible auditory or visual impacts on our guests to ensure they have a wonderful experience. In addition, the palm trees around the breezeway are being planted as we speak. Finishing touches and placing addition decor will continue for a few more weeks. We agree service is what makes a resort great. I apologize that the service you received was not up to the high standards we strive to achieve. I will follow up with our front desk manager (he oversees the concierge too) and our housekeeping manager about the specific issues you mention. Thank you again for you input. We hope you visit us again soon!

Been to Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!