“beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort

You added Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort to your Saves list
Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   39 Beach Lagoon, Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, FL 32034   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Fernandina Beach
“beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

Recently stayed at this hotel. Ask for ocean w/pool view. we were on 2nd floor (room 240) and it was gorgeous! Our room overlooked the pool with the ocean off in the distance. I was there for a business convention and my wife accompanied me. It was a big hit. I think it was on par with Ritz Carlton! take your wife. she will love you for it!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Visit_OAIP, Manager at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort, responded to this review, May 30, 2011
We are so pleased to hear that your company choose the Omni Amelia Island Plantation for their convention and that you and your wife had a great stay with us. It is wonderful to read how much your enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

I just returned from the Omni; I must say that the resort was nice but was lacking in a few details that would make this a deluxe stay. I was traveling alone with my Golden Retriever. The hotel is nice, under construction but nice. The location is perfect as it is directly on the water; just a short walk down. The resort has two pools, several restaurants, bikes and a shuttle service to the "Spa & Shops" area; although this was a very nice and easy walk as well. The room was nicely decorated.

Here are my observations - first, construction on site (currently in from of the 101-108 rooms, which would include each floor higher) we got to our room and all we could see was the construction mess, this was in the front of the hotel - not at the view/water side. While I can understand the need for the remodel, the hotel was not 100% so why not block off that area; in addition no one told us of this at check-in.
The resort uses a "cash-less" system, which I am quite use to and like, however they automatically add a 20% tip to each order. Which normally would be fine however, the staff is aware of this and the service was horrible - the bell captains and other that do not get tips were very pleasant and accommodating, I am referring to the wait staff, I think they are in need of some additional training in hospitality.
We did enjoy our stay, what I enjoyed most was that it was truly a pet friendly hotel - we were able to walk around the property, in shops and at outside seating for lunch. We would probably stay here again, as we did like the resort; just had the issue with unfriendly staff and construction.

Room Tip: Ask where the construction is being done
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Omni Amelia Island Plantation, it is regretful that you experienced some issues with our service. These comments have been noted and will be brought to the attention of the appropriate departments. In regards to construction, we seek to improve and maintain our facility with various projects and we sincerely apologize if you were not made aware of this before or upon your visit; however, we hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Fortson, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights 4/28-5/1 in a 5th floor beachfront room with a king-size bed. The only significant inconvenience was air conditioning that struggled to cool the room. The hotel is being remodeled by Omni, which created one minor inconvenience: construction noise in the morning.

The hotel was quite attractive and our room was tastefully done. The bed was comfortable. All staff members were extremely helpful and gracious.

Sunday brunch in the hotel overlooking the ocean was excellent. The nearby shops on the grounds were beautiful and inviting, including a deli, co-op art gallery and woman's shoe store.

We had fun renting bicylces to see the huge grounds, although the bikes were old and clumsy without gear shifts.

Room Tip: As high as possible but away from the re-roofing.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great comments, we are so happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to you returning soon!
DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

In the last three years, my family has visited many Omni hotels - DC, San Diego, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, and are members of the Omni loyalty program. We enjoyed our stay at those hotels - mainly because of the warm and friendly service we received in those hotels. For example, in the San Francisco Omni, the front desk, doorman, and housekeeping employees all greeted my young nephew by his name and title and made him feel special during our trip. There was lovely turn-down services in all the above Omni hotels - complete with turn-down music playing on the TV, chocolate cookies or some sort of treat on the night stand, etc. The San Diego Omni loaned my nephew (for free) a rolling bag of board games, toys etc. and provided him a small goodie bag of gifts (playing cards, coloring book, etc.). While it is true that these hotels were better maintained/charming and/or updated/sleek then the Amelia Island resort, that is not the real reason why we were very disappointed in the Omni Amelia Island resort.

We booked our room and flight using the Omni website. We later wanted to upgrade our rooms to cover a meal/family activity plan (and were willing to pay for such upgrade), but we were told by Omni Amelia Island front desk that we could not make any upgrades as we booked through Expedia. Unless the Omni website was somehow linked to Expedia (note we never saw any reference to Expedia when we booked the package on the Omni website), that was not true!!! The steadfastness of refusals and the unwillingess to help was astounding!!!

When we checked in to the Amelia Island resort, we noted that there were unhappy hotel patrons complaining to the front desk about the long wait for their room etc. The front desk were not friendly or helpful to those individuals nor to my family. As the resort is huge labryinth, it would have been helpful if the front desk took a little more time going over the map with us or tell us about the hotel tram/shuttle that we could use to navigate the resort. As my nephew was next to me during the check-in, it would have been great if the front desk took the initiative to alert us of the family events occurring at the resort. All of these things (seemingly small things) don't cost Omni anything to do but they make the difference between a good experience from an unsatisfying customer experience.

This lack of service continued. As the Omni loyalty program included complimentary morning beverages, we called the front desk to request information about this and was told that we would get some vouchers. When the vouchers never came to our room, we called front desk the next day and the phone rang kept on ringing with no one picking up the phone (this is unacceptable for any hotel or restaurant establishment). We called again later that day and was told that there was no such program or that we did not qualify for such service. We also went to the front desk and were told the same thing.

We had a problem with the room safe, and it, again, took many calls until someone finally picked up the phone. Note once we were able to reach a live person, the technician came promptly and fixed the problem in an efficient manner.

We were also disappointed in the family sch'mores event. Firstly, the beach was dark and poorly lit, and there were children running around with sharp pointy objects. Thankfully, no one got hurt although my nephew almost got stabbed by a young child who tried to knock down his marshmallow (!).

While I understand that the resort is in the process of getting a much-needed update, it was not pleasant that there was roof work being done near our rooms (note we specifically requested quiet rooms). My dad is ill and needs his mid-day nap. Unfortunately, that nap was interrupted daily by the loud banging sound on top of our rooms. It would have been helpful if the front desk alerted the hotel guests about the construction work being done. We would have then asked to have my father's room be moved to a quieter location in the hotel.

All in all, we feel that we treated horribly and somewhat taken advantage of. We paid a resort fee of $20 per day and felt that we did not get our moneys worth (especially since we were denied many times the morning beverage that was part of our loyalty program). Everything (the beach chairs, umbrellas, beach toys, etc.) seem to cost extra.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
AIP-Amelia_Island, General Manager at Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort, responded to this review, May 4, 2011
Thank you for your recent review of our property and your patronage, we take your feedback and concerns very seriously and appreciate your detailed experience to address your concerns appropriately. We are committed to improving the arrival process, acknowledging requested upgraded package elements, and acknowledgement of the select guest program amenities. You clearly did not have an experience indicative of our typical service levels and we are sincerely apologetic that this was your experience. While we are improving the resort in many ways, you should have been made aware of the roof installation project which is coming to completion in the next several days. Please let us know if you would like to discuss this personally and again thank you for your feedback.
Southern US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

I had stayed in an Omni in Orlando and liked the brand, so when one of their emails popped up advertising spring breaks, I noticed they had a new property in Amelia Island. I had never been there before and the timing and price was right! It turns out this property is just new to Omni - it was owned by a private family until Sept. 2010.

All of the one-way roads are a little confusing at first. The check-in was prompt and friendly. I got a little lost driving to the inn (you check in in a separate building first, then drive thru a security gate before getting to the inn. Cutesy shops and restaurants - I didn't spend a whole lot of time browsing but the general store/Marche Burette offers lots of wines and gourmet food and great ice cream. Lots of activities especially for families/kids.

The rooms are comfy and clean and all have views of the ocean, which was exactly what I wanted. I was near the pool which wasn't my favorite spot but it didn't bother me enough to ask to change. I am up when the kids get there anyway, and they go to bed before me! The lower pool is heated so that is where most hang out anyway.

All of the staff were friendly and helpful. The beach area was clean and the beaches are wide and uncrowded at least at this time of year (April).

I can't say I had any major complaints during my stay, although the walls are a little thin and my neighbor had a bad cough, but I guess I could have listened to worse. Maybe I heard more because I had a connecting room door. I hope I can come back again!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Medina, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights at the start of April. The hotel was recently taken over by Omni and there is a lot of work going on at the premises. The rooms were nice, clean and updated. We had an ocean view room, which was nice. We rented a car, so we made our way into town a few times for dinner, etc. It's a nice downtown area - I would definitely recommend the trip!

We used the gym facility, daily, which is very nice. Several treadmills, bikes and ellipticals are there for use. The lower level has a complete free weight section, machines and even bosu balls. It's very nice!

The shuttle moves you around the facility with ease. They were always happy to help and everyone was very nice. We used the spa services, too. They, too, were very good and the facility itself was complete and very nice.

The one gripe we had was the food service. Everything was overpriced and "average." To their credit, we didn't dine there, but once, which was at their sort of off sight sports bar. Decent food, but nothing to write home about. As an example of our dislike - the breakfast buffet is nearly $20. It's decent, but $40 for a buffet breakfast is too much. Same at the pool for lunch. $50 later and we had two sandwiches and two drinks. That's too much. I suppose you are paying for the convenience of it all; however, I would have gladly left the premises and gone out for breakfast and/or lunch. Unfortunately, there's nothing real close. Everything is a 10-15min. drive. So, they sort of "have you," if you know what I mean?

Overall, nice resort, very nice people and it was clean and updated. The changes we heard that are coming will only make it that much better!

Room Tip: Head downtown - there are LOTS of good places!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

Since there weren't that many reviews on here, I was unsure what to expect. Omni purchased the hotel in the fall, and I thought my room was great. We had an oceanview room, also overlooking the pool. It was nicely appointed and large. We had a king that came w. a pull-out sofa for our daughter. The balcony allowed us to still be outside enjoying our view while our daughter rested inside. We ate at almost all the restaurants on property. I found the food to be above average to good at all of them. We did not have a bad meal our entire stay. Our daughter used the kids' club one night. I think it is extremely overpriced, and we did not use it again. The employees were nice, it is not their fault.
The property could not be more beautiful. Rent bikes and ride all over to get a feel for all the different areas of the plantation. The beach is huge, clean, beautiful, and never crowded. We did rent beach chairs and umbrellas three days, although the prices there are overpriced too. Our room was clean and well taken care of. Overall, we had a fantastic time. I plan on returning. The gym has many brand new, awesome cardio machines. The tram all over the property is easy and convenient too.

Room Tip: I think all hotel rooms are oceanfront/view.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!