“great new place” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian, Pasta
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
annapolis
“great new place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Ciao is a new addition to the main st. of ferny beach..the covered porch and just enough lighting for outdoor eating was intriguing enough to lure us in..(the restaurant that used to be there seemed dark and uninviting). we were not very hungry, so an appetizer, and creative super-thin-crusted pizza was just enough...nice selection, doesn't try to offer every type of italian dish like some restauarants that 'over-menu'...wait staff was knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, didn't hover......will definitely return...oh, and there was nice, soft, unobtrusive music (not live) that was most pleasant for a background....nice experience overall!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Cleveland, Ohio
“We were underwhelmed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The menu looks great; many people recommended it. But our party of 6 will not be going back...ever.
1st- reservations at 8:30. Seated at 9:30. And no updates unless we asked
2nd- the sauce on the eggplant arm tasted like it came out of a jar.. The eggplant was cooked perfectly, but the sauce is soo important. The pasta sauce tasted like it was the same sauce.
3rd- the chicken Marsala was not good. Again, the sauce is everything.
4th- the salad was bitter

We went to have a good. It takes a lot to disappoint our group. We were disappointed. Perhaps the chef had an off night. The atmosphere is lively. The waiter was good. Unfortunately, the food should be the star.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
“Great Food, Cute, Quaint, Nice People, will return again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We went on Concours weekend, Saturday night and it was packed, with lines waiting out the door. The wait was an hour. We found a table on the front porch that had a heater facing the table. The restaurant was so crowded that this was actually the best possible place to sit.

It is unfortunate that the restaurant is so popular and so many people flock to it, especially during concours weekend. However, it is worth the wait.

Duarte was our server and he was friendly and respectful of our time. He knew we were there on business and had some things to discuss during the meal.

We started with drinks and they brought this amazing fresh bread with a pesto olive oil. We were hungry and these did not last long.

Most of us ordered the Ceasar salas or Caprese. Both were excellent. The Ceasar came with anchovies, croutons and sun dried tomatoes. Nice pungent Parmesan slices on top.

I ate my Italian restaurant standard, Chicken Marsala. It was very nice. The Chicken Marsala came with pasta, mushrooms and a flavorful Marsala sauce. I would order this again. But then again, I love Chicken Marsala.

Others at the table Eggplant Parmesan which was reported excellent and most at the table ate the Mahi Seafood special that included Mussels, Scallops, Shrimp, Calamari etc. in broth over spaghetti. Again the report was that it was very good.

No dessert, yes they were a little overwhelmed, however when you have as many people waiting to get in as are seated, and this goes on all afternoon starting early, the experience will not be the same.

The only thing that was not liked was the sangria.

It's a small restaurant, with nice people and good food. We will return again...for sure.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tallahassee, Florida
“Not so good experience at Ciao's”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

It was Thursday night and Concours d' Elegance had just commenced so it was Very crowded and NOISEY -- and no sound absorption in the expansive, lovely dining room. So my husband and I had a hard time hearing each other. The servers were overwhelmed with a sea of diners but doing well to keep up. However, when my chicken pasta dish arrived there was No chicken in it. As the server placed the plate in front of me I said, "Oh, (I pointed), there's no chicken." She answers, "What?" I go up a notch, "There's NO Chicken." She replies, "So what do you want me to do, ma'am?" I respond, "I'd like the chicken!" She answers, "What?" It was awful -- all because we could not communicate and she was frazzled with so many of us to serve. Finally she leaned down and asked again, "So what do you want, ma'am?" Now she's clearly irritated. (It was so exasperating.) I say, "I want the chicken." She replies, "Do you want me to go to the kitchen and get some chicken?" In all of the commotion of crowded people talking notches higher to be heard and plate & silver noise, she still couldn't hear me(?) say that the dish was Supposed to have chicken. I admit I became perturbed but my server was acting as if I was asking for something extra to what I'd ordered and she came across as very annoyed about it. It went on some more and I had her lean down, "Please, I just want what I ordered, the CHICKEN pasta dish" and off she huffed and it came back with some cubed chicken pieces stirred into pasta -- at that point my husband was almost finished with his delectable dish. My point here is our dinner was ruined by an exchange caused by the lack of sound absorption that I hope is corrected -- and a server who was overwhelmed but should have been more professional instead of showing extreme irritation about the situation in a restaurant of this caliber. I heard her clearly when we leaned in to speak so I can't help but think she heard me as well -- she chose to make me the "problem" not the kitchen and also draw attention to me by other diners as she raised her voice with those, "SO WHAT DO YOU WANT MA'AM's? over and over like I'm being terribly Difficult) -- we won't be back and we come every year and often dine in groups but not going to Ciao's.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Italian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The pasta and salmon here are very good. The service is ok but not very speedy. Trying to pay our bar bill was a real pain. We will go back our next visit to Amelia Island.

• 5 of 5 stars Food