“Do it!!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit our newly renovated property and take a ride on one of our fully renovated airboats! Come take an Airboat ride with us through the Winding Mangrove creeks (Walking trees) and Bays deep into the Everglades, where the Alligators live. Our Boat Captains have lived in the Everglades all their lives and know the Glades and the History like the back of their hands. Watch for all kinds of Wildlife you never know what you might see. We are Family owned and Operated and employ the finest USCG licensed Captains for you safe and memorable experience. We look forward to seeing you!
London
3 attraction reviews
“Do it!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Something I'd always wanted to do & I would do it again if I had the chance. Arrived at the booking office/shop bit rough & ready but you are in the Everglades, we chose the hour trip. A guy was outside, gives a short talk on alligators and allows you to pet, hold the baby alligator and have the obligatory photo taken.( no charge ) Very knowledgeable and makes everyone comfortable with holding it. My eldest daughter was wary of getting close to the gator but with a little bit of coaxing the SNAPshot was taken! Whilst waiting for the airboat we saw this / listened to his banter & on three separate occasions he always got the nervous member of the family to get involved. Introduced to our captain, on with the headphones & off we go, we had a six seater which I think is probably better & I'm sure you are able to appreciate the acceleration & manoeuvrability the smaller the boat. Sixty minutes of feeling like Sir David Attenborough / Indiana jones at home with the wildlife, not that there was much, however what we did see the captain explained there roles within the Everglades. Speeding up & down narrow avenues of overhanging plants, trees all of which had been there for thousands of years if not more. Ocassionaly having to duck to avoid contact but that adds to the adventure. Birds saw lots of varieties, Alligators saw two, got up close, could have touched but chose to keep my hands!! They seem very comfortable in there own environment & oblivious to the many airboats surrounding them. Fantastic creatures & worth the trip just for that couple of minutes. Raccoons, all the reviews I read prior to the trip are true, we pulled over to the edge & within minutes half a dozen are besieging the captain, who by chance has a box of ritz crackers which appears to be there favourite food. Another great photo opportunity. Heading back the airboats find open space and let rip for the last few minutes. ( shame it wasn't more ) back to landing bay. Some companies have head phones with narration, if I went again I would try & find one, as the noise is deafening. This might have been our fault as I didn't ask whether Totch did or didn't. We drove a five hour round trip from Sarasota and our teenage daughters agreed it was worth it.

Visited July 2013

Philadelphia, PA
6 attraction reviews
“Very enjoyable trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our 90 minute airboat tour. Captain Henry pointed out wildlife along the way. Due to a problem with the rudder, we had to stop our trip to be "rescued" with a change of airboat, but this was established without incident, and the loss of time was added to our trip. We enjoyed our trip through the mangrove alleys most of all, moving at a good speed. We went on a Sunday morning, and saw very few other boats during our tour. I feared that the heat and bugs would be problematic, but neither was an issue. At the end of our tour, we had the opportunity to hold a baby alligator. In sum, a great way to spend the morning!

Houston
23 attraction reviews
“If you are looking for a break from beach and party at Miami, this is something interestingly unusual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We took the 90 minute Everglades tour (Includes a visit to the Totch island). The drive to everglades from Miami is a bit far also because of the current ongoing road construction. But I say its worth the drive. Something very unique from the whole Miami city scene of beach and partying. Weve seen a couple of gators, birds, stopped by an area where we saw lots of mudfish and racoons. The Totch Island is just okay for me, nothing special. I did enjoy the cruise to the mangrove area, very peaceful. Staff are very friendly. I also like the idea that the boats will only hold maximum of 6 people.

Visited August 2013
“Captain Kenny made our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Awesome!!! I wouldn't pass up on this ride. Out of our 2 week family vacation to Florida this was the highlight of our trip. Captain Kenny was hilarious and filled us with knowledge about the Everglades. We seen alligators, raccoons, manatees, dolphins, and lots of birds (one pelican landed on the front of the boat and took part of the tour with us and the kids loved it). Definitely do not pass us on this stop; worth every penny! Thank you Captain Kenny! (He also is a Smallwood descendant of Ted Smallwood which was his great, great, great grandfather, and is without a doubt a native).

Zephyr, Texas
“Fantastic Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is a MUST SEE tour! Of all of the things we did while on vacation in the Miami, Key West, and Sanibel areas, this was by far the best experience for me and my three adolescents! We were taken on an airboat ride through the mangroves of the Everglades, and it was SO amazing! The groves are so thick, with their roots growing downward from their branches overhead, and the airboat ride through them was so cool! We were taken into various areas to see the alligators, various types of bird life, and the cutest raccoons who would come down from the mangrove branches to eat out of your hand!

The airboat ride is fantastic! There's nothing like the feel of the wind in your face as you zip through the canals of the mangroves and your guide does little swirls in the water that send mists of cooling spray over you. You don't need to be afraid though because you're fastened in and it's very safe! The guide will also slow down and allow you to take some fantastic shots of the wildlife in the Everglades.

The guides are all VERY knowledgeable about the Everglades, so be sure to pick their brains for lots of "local" facts, information, and wonderful stories of life in this incredible part of Florida! Most importantly, if you get a chance to talk to the members of Totch's family about life in the Everglades you will learn things that are amazing. If not, then be sure to purchase the book they sell in the gift shop. It's a great read!

We also got to hold a small alligator which thrilled my three kids--ages 21, 19, and 16! One of the guides taught us a lot about alligators and let us take photos while holding the alligator. He even used our camera to take family and individual shots--at no additional charge! My kids said this was their favorite part of their trip to Florida--and those of you with teens know that it's hard to impress them.

I can't say enough about this tour! These people really know the Everglades because most of them have grown up here, so you definitely get the "local flavor." They have a great gift shop and the prices are very reasonable. You're sure to find some neat things to take home for souvenirs. Don't miss this one. It's well worth the trip!

Visited July 2013
Flwildmann, Public Relations Manager at Totch's Everglades Island Airboat Tours, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
We're pleased you enjoyed your visit at Everglades Island Airboat Tours!

The Rewis's and The Daniels