“The Captain's Table Lodge And Villas” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Captain's Table Lodge & Villas

You added The Captain's Table Lodge & Villas to your Saves list
The Captain's Table Lodge & Villas
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   102 E. Broadway, P.O. Box 530, Everglades City, FL 34139   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Everglades City
Sparks, Nevada
“The Captain's Table Lodge And Villas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

We reviewed their website before booking and was prepared for a budget motel. We also paid the extra $10. for the screened porch and was well worth the cost. While the bed was a little hard, and the air-conditioner a little noisy, the room was very clean. The bathroom was spotless and the towels were better than what we expected. At budget motels the towels are skimpy and small; not the case here. For the price you can't beat it! If you want luxury and willing to pay more stay in Naples. I would recommend this place to my friends explaining it's a no-frills mom and pop establishment, close to the Everglades. We also knew they only served coffee and toast so we ate breakfast at the cafe down the street. We didn't use the pool, too busy, but it looked very clean too. Diane and Bill, Sparks, NV

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Petersburg, Ontario,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

Our anual Motorcycle trip (from Ontario, Canada) would not be the same if there was not a stay at the Captain's Table, wether it be in the Hotel or in one of the well maintained cottages on stilts, it is PARADISE.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Oconomowoc, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

JoeFarmVille pretty much said everything I would have.

Listen reviewers - yes, the place is old. Yes, it's not a five star hotel. What the heck did you expect?? I'm shocked at the uppity attitude of people. This is a backwoods, out of the way town in the middle of nowhere. If you're staying in this town, expirence it for what it really is!

Rooms were clean, and for an old place, I felt pretty well maintained. While we were there, the pool area was being finished up from being renovated. I felt it was top notch, especially for this town. It'll look even nicer when they are done with the white fencing around it. It was also in a nice spot where you could overlook the water if you wanted to. The staff was always helpful and friendly. The room rates were maybe a little high for this place, but were extremely reasonable compared to the other places in town. Supply & demand at its best.

The breakfast is very minimal, but free if you want it. Otherwise, show your room key at the place down the road, and you get a 10% discount. If they ask you if you want Chicken Gatorade, that is their southern drawl way of actually asking if you want Chicken or Gator Eggs. Be warned! :-)

The grocery store in town is a joke - the 7-11 down the street has just as good of a selection. So, if you're looking at having any food in the room, you might want to bring it with you into town.

Eat at the Oyster House Restaurant - it's fantastic. Wanted to try the Cuban place on Chokoloskee, but never did make it. I've heard it's great.

The boat tours at the Everglades National Park are reasonably priced, and great, if you're looking for an alternative to all the airboat tours.

kc,mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

We stayed in a villa on the water front and altho we could hear the neighbors it was a great place for the money. The town it's self isn't much but we had a great time. Our room was very clean, daily maid service and we enjoyed visiting with the villa owner. If your looking for big and fancy you've come to the wrong place. If your looking for a nice relaxing place with a great view it is the place. We walked around town a lot and this was by far the place to stay plus it has a pool and a free continental breakfast.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dulles, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010 via mobile

Weird kind of name. Sort of expect it to be attached to a restaurant named The Captain's Table. Maybe it used to be?

Anyway, really liked this place though there are a few eccentricities. It is not the prettiest place in town BUT I think it is the best place in town.

The town is waaaaaay out in the swampy Everglades, almost to the water. (Salt water which is Florida Bay... The Everglades are fresh water actually flowing slowly south like one huge wide river of grass.) The town is an odd mix of locals - mostly lower income but NOT lower class- and wealthy Floridians who have getaway homes here. Because of the higher income influx there are some cool sites to see and places to eat.

Next door there is the old train depot-turned-restaurant ( this town has some amazing pre and post Depression era history.) If we had just driven around the corner we would gave seen a few other better places to eat (like the Cuban restaurant!)

The lodge itself is old and has been refurbished. We stayed in a "screened porch" room for $85++. The rooms with no porches were $75++. Why in the world someone wouldn't pay the x $10 to have fresh air is nuts. The room was SUPER TINY but we loved it. Very old style Florida with a wall unit a/c (worked great) and a little ceramic heater for when it gets cold. We actually used the a/c a little during the day and then the heater in the morning for a few minutes to warm up the place for my 86 yr-old mom. Worked great. There is a lil' fridge but no micro.

The Balcony (we were upstairs) was HUGE and had new screening AND a nice surprise: outside our screened balcony was a really nice outside balcony! The total sq feet of the outside area was as big as the room. I almost pulled my matress out and slept on the screened in porch. I would definitely recommend the upstairs rooms.

NOTE: This is an old building and the walls are thin. There were 4 LOUD Russians who were drinking in a couple rooms. When I was in the hallway I could hear them plain as day. I could also hear Mom and her bf talking as I got closer to our room. Luckily the Russians weren't too close to us. Might be good to ask for a room near quiet folks. I think there were only maybe 10 rooms on each side upstairs and down tho. Plus the suites/apartments.

There are also "suites" (I think apartments?) in raised buildings that have effincies or kitchens in them. They seemed nice and quite a few looked like they had seasonal tenants in them. But no riffraff.

The grounds were clean. Lots of parking. Easy check-in.  If you are a teenage girl, the owners' son, Alex, who works the desk in the evening is adorable. He might not be the son but it seems like it is a family business.

When we checked out, the rate had increased to $93! Whaaaat? Seems that Alex had quoted us the 2 person rate though I am sure I said 3 people. (we travel all the time and it is alwsys 3 ... never 2) The lady owner-manager quickly adjusted the rate without me asking! That was nice. Actually she told her 6foot8inch muscle-y husband to do it and he looked at me, smiled, and said whatever the boss wants the boss gets. They were pretty cute since she is tiny.

Breakfast was real simple. Just regular coffee and toast. We liked it cause it was simple BUT there was no decaf. There is a hot water pot do it would be nothing to have a jar if instant decaf sitting there. I added water to moms coffee butvshe was still a buzzing 86 yr old. When she gets caffeine she starts cussing!! It's always pretty funny when we get back on the road (for the first few miles... sigh...).

BTW the "prettiest place in town", the Everglades City Motel looked completely renovated but I couldn't justify paying $129++. And the Lodge has a lot of character. The Wilderness River cabins looked dumpy.

• Stayed March 2010
CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

We stayed in what were called Waterfront Villas. I would call them white trash dump. Okay, the place was clean at first sight, but maintenance is another word. The refrig door would not stay closed, there were no screens on the patio, the kitchen was missing a lot. Our last morning we could not get the front door open, and thought maybe they had locked it because it was check out time, no the handle was falling off. I am sure the carpets, drapes, or bed covers have not been cleaned in along time. I had to put a sheet on the couch because it was so soiled. I dont' mind the 80's furniture, but not when it's not cleaned occasionally. We saw much cuter and quainter places walking around town. There is plenty here. This is not the only game in town.

Stavanger
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

Spacious, clean, very comfortable. Excellent location. My husband and I stayed two nights in an apartment (number 304) at the Captain's Table. We thoroughly enjoyed the view over the water from our living room and kitchen. The screened porch was also a big plus. It poured rain one of the days we were there, but that did not matter. Coffee in the morning on our covered porch was very cozy as we listened to the rain on the roof. The Captain's Table has a great location for exploring the Everglades, near the wildlife, but away from crowds of people. You can walk to everything in town, including a number of airboat tour operators. Right outside your apartment you can sit on a bench and watch the birds soar and the fish jump. Just 10-15 minutes drive east on Hwy 41 (towards Miami) you can see hundreds of alligators at HP Williams picnic area. Drive past the boardwalk area and continue along the dirt road. It is like being on a safari!! Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Captain's Table Lodge & Villas? Share your experiences!