“Peaceful haven in the Everglades” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Direct For Best Rate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Everglades City
Stavanger
“Peaceful haven in the Everglades”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

Spacious, clean, very comfortable. Excellent location. My husband and I stayed two nights in an apartment (number 304) at the Captain's Table. We thoroughly enjoyed the view over the water from our living room and kitchen. The screened porch was also a big plus. It poured rain one of the days we were there, but that did not matter. Coffee in the morning on our covered porch was very cozy as we listened to the rain on the roof. The Captain's Table has a great location for exploring the Everglades, near the wildlife, but away from crowds of people. You can walk to everything in town, including a number of airboat tour operators. Right outside your apartment you can sit on a bench and watch the birds soar and the fish jump. Just 10-15 minutes drive east on Hwy 41 (towards Miami) you can see hundreds of alligators at HP Williams picnic area. Drive past the boardwalk area and continue along the dirt road. It is like being on a safari!! Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Oregon Coast
2,196 helpful votes 2,196 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

Wow, in reading some of the previous reviews, I wonder if this place has changed hands?
We had a wonderful experience in a delightful location. (see photos)

We were travelling with another couple, and they opted for one of the rooms in the main lodge. It was very inexpensive ($70), and clean and comfortable with a fridge.

We decided to splurge a bit and got one of the suites with a jacuzzi. What a nice room! What a view! The area was very quiet and peaceful, even in the daytime. Price was $130 + tax.

Our suite was separate from the main lodge, and upstairs. I think we were in the section they call the "villas". We parked in the carport underneath the room, then took the outside stairs up to it. There were two decks: one was a screened-in porch and the other was a large front deck looking right out over a lawn to the river. (This is *not* the river the air boats go on.)

There was a full kitchen that was nicely equipped. The living room was good sized with a large TV and two comfortable sofas. The sliding glass doors opened onto the deck, which overlooked the river. The bedroom was decent sized with two chairs and a large closet with shelves. The jacuzzi was a two person size, as was the huge shower! Everything was in excellent condition and very clean.

My husband booked Captain's Table Lodge by phone, a few days before we arrived. It took a couple of calls, as we had several questions whilst we discussed our options. Each time, the calls were answered promptly and courteously. Check in was easy and fast.

The only thing that was less than top-notch was the breakfast. The desk clerk said they have "toast and coffee", and that is exactly what they had - white toast and coffee. Oh well, since we had a full kitchen we didn't mind!

This is a very quiet, relaxing town and we enjoyed our four days. If we are ever in the area again, there is no question we will stay here again. Very pleasant stay :-)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

We were very surprised when we arrived. The front is kinda plain but once you pull thru the grounds are very nice. Lots of flowers and trees which I loved. We were just going to stay for 1 night but ended up staying for 3. We had a room with a porch and little sun deck. The room was very clean and quiet. They were very busy when we were there but you could not tell. The place is so peaceful and relaxing. The outdoor pool was great and it sits next to the water. I stood watching 2 dolphin playing for about an hour. The staff we talked to was very nice and always laughing. We talked to the lady in the office for quite awhile when we were having breakfast. She knows her stuff. Said her family was one of the first to settle there. Very mom and pop place but I choose that over any chain hotel/motel. We are coming back in January for a week. They were recommended by a co worker and we will be recommending them to our family and friends. I think it would be a great place to have a family reunion. Might just do that...
I do not write reviews but I feel like they are getting a bed name on this site. I have found that most people who write reviews are never happy with the places they stay in. Always find some problem to complain about. I also feel you should not be able to post a review if you have not stayed at the establishment.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Goldau, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We arrived in the later afternoon and got our room pretty fast. No problem. The room was basic bit OK and clean.
Our problem came in the morning. Nobody was able to say good morning. But when we tried to take our breakfast in the porch of our room the lade shouted and said that the do not alow.
We expect not only a nice and clean room. We also expect polite staff there. We will never go back there.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Delta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

This has to be the worse experience ever with a "hotel". Absolutely no business savvy. Rude & Unresponsive.

I have since done research and found others had major complaints. Please read reviews before you book.

On July 20th 2009 I booked Captains Table Inn for upcoming Vacation for August 9th. Initially, i had to make many many calls to he hotel to try and reserve a room. One more than a few occasions i was as asked to call back when someone was in the office. I think a few times the maintenance person had the telephone calls forwarded as they were doing maintenance work. One time it sounded like he was on a lawnmower. I was asked to give a credit card number. The individual I finally spoke with was very rude and abrupt and did not seem very knowledgeable about the hotel, tourist attractions etc.
That should have been a "Red Flag" about the kind of service they provide for their Guests.
I was very nervous and unsettled about this "hotel" so a few days later I phoned repeatedly to the Hotel to cancel.
This is a appears to be "Mom and Pop" operation and I was unable to get through many attempts and then finally got a very young person..I think a teenager. He sounded very young and kept placing me on hold. I cancelled and asked for a cancel #. He informed me no one was there to asst him but to call back, he said reservation was cancelled.
I called several time to make sure and the answering machine gives a series of other no#s to call.
This is a very strange place. It is hard to get a person on calls. We never checked and to this place and the reservation was cancelled long before our scheduled arrival. I believe the young man in the office may not have been official employee. On August 9th, 2009 in the morning a debit of $66.00 came out of our acct. I contact the "hotel" to inquire why there was money withdrawn from my account. I was informed the hotel was sorry about the inconvenience and if I could provide my phone records showing I the times I attempted to call them they would credit my account.
I informed them that this was fraud and the money must be returned to my account or I would be filing dispute. They graciously informed me that I could "filed" any dispute I wanted but would not credit my account until they saw phone records. I have been a victim fraud and now I am expected to negotiate with the perpetrator. We were advised to close our account so no other fraud charges can take place.

surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

The least friendly reception of any establishment we visited (i.e. hotels,restaurants, shops, national parks etc) in our short stay in Florida. The room was adequate with a screened outdoor area. The 'free' coffee and toast (white sliced bread) in the morning was a disgrace for the 20th century never mind the 21st. Over priced at 90$.
However - good swimming pool and good location plus a decent restaurant next door.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Everglades City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

Spent 6 days in Everglades City at Captain's Table. All staff very accommodating. Room comfortable and clean. Wanted to use my Notebook to find locations of interest and local info, but no WiFi or internet access available.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Been to The Captain's Table Lodge? Share your experiences!