“Great expectations, poor execution” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 95 Restaurants in Englewood
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Welcome to Howards Restaurant Serving Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Seafood, Steak, Saute, Salad Bar and much more Great food at Great prices Please check our website for hours of operation
“Great expectations, poor execution”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

We've been in the Venice for 3 years and have heard of Howard"s from several people. We were there on a Sunday and the parking lot was empty, should have been an omen. We had fried oysters and a crabmeat stuffed lobster. The oysters were so greasy and tasteless that my wife had to send them back. They asked if she would like something else and she asked for fried shrimp and they brought them right out. The batter was lacking but the shrimp were large. Wy wife did not have a good experience. Now to my meal. I had a crab stuffed lobster. The lobster was a good size and the stuffing was delicious. It was a little overpriced but within reason.
Bottom line, we tried a new place....we won't be back.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Rotonda
“Price performer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Howards is popular with many of the local seniors. Located on South McCall Rd in Englewood, FL it has a wide selection on the menu and provides large portions (allowing take home boxes for another meal). They also have an extensive salad bar.

Visited March 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great seafood, pleasant quirky service, weird salad bar and "waterfront"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife had the snow crab legs on special-generous portion, big and meaty. I had the stuffed Caribbean lobster. It was cooked perfectly and delicious but I would skip the crab stuffing which they offer as an option with all meals. It appeared to be pasteurized crab meat and nothing special.
I also had two bowls of soup. Yes-in south Florida, in July. And they were exceptional, exceptional soups but it invites two questions. Why would a meal in south Florida in summer come with soup? And, why would one be salmon bisque? Salmon, as in icy cold northern river, chipping ice off the fishing gear. That salmon. Served within sight of the Gulf of Mexico and it's bountiful fish stock. How about a local bouillabaisse? A nice heavy bisque before a trip to the beach in the 90 degree weather? After all that complaining, the salmon bisque is perfect. I don't even like salmon but this was perfect. Rich, creamy and full of big pieces of fish. The second was a chicken tortilla soup, which is also not my thing, but it was great. Meaty and just a little spicy with a few tortilla strips and sour cream.
The salad bar. Where to begin? How about the huge mound of peas covered in white. White what? I have no idea. Consistency of the white is something between heavy cream and sour cream and with no flavor. There were other odd salads on there that were just as bland. I heard someone loudly exclaim that one had crab meat but I could not find any-my wife claimed to see one salad that had Krab in it but the surimi had been mostly picked out. Another seemed to just be a huge mound of corn kernels. Things like this covered %90 of the salad bar. The lettuce for a basic salad looked great and the dressings tasted great-I love southern house made ranch dressing. Oddly though-no croutons or bacon bits.
They made a bit of a deal about seating us where we could see the water. The water we saw is a man made rectangle off the gulf for boat parking and had two bubblers keeping it aerated. It looked like a sewage treatment plant-water views rom other parts of the place may be better.
Service was strong, pleasant, chatty and fun. Manager owner spoke to us twice to make sure everything was ok. We would definitely come back.

Visited July 2013
Franklin, Ohio
“Very bland”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Talked a lot about there salad bar. But it had nothing on it worth eating. Price was high for the quality of food. Had a table of 6 and no one cared for it. And we all ordered something different. It was a older crowd very bland

Visited August 2012
Winter Haven, Florida
“Worst service ever.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Some months ago had the chance to eat at Howard's with a large party of friends. Had driven by the restaurant dozens (maybe hundreds) of times before. I really can't comment about the quality of their food because after waiting forever (and I mean over an hour) we finally left! The only comment we make when we drive past Howard's now is "not there."

• Visited August 2012