“STAY AWAY STAY VERY FAR AWAY” 1 of 5 stars
Review of GuestHouse Inn

You added GuestHouse Inn to your Saves list
GuestHouse Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4915 17th Street East, Ellenton, FL 34222-2686 (Formerly Shoneys Inn Ellenton)   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Ellenton
florida
“STAY AWAY STAY VERY FAR AWAY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

Two friends and I booked this room for Friday and Saturday night. We were in town for a dog show and this hotel was listed as one of the local hotels that takes dogs. When we checked in the desk clerk had given our ground floor room to someone else. When we finally got a room, we went to find it. There were lots of local migrant workers hanging out in the parking lot. When opening the door we found the room horrible. Each room has a dehumidifier in it as the mold and mildew was unbelievable. It put our more heat than the air conditioner could put out cold air. We had to go to walmart to get Lysol so we could clean the bathroom just to use it. The carpeting was wet from the Ice Machine next door leaking. The bath towels were a joke. Hear people outside the door in the halls at all hours. The beds felt like you were sleeping on springs. WE WILL NEVER NEVER NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
rosharon, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

Although this motel is very close to the highway, it's also directly on a very pleasant lake, which is great to enjoy breakfast while watching the sun rise.

I found this motel very clean, and quiet. The beds were comfortable, and I appreciated having a refrigerator to cool my drinks off in. There was a clean looking swimming pool, which I didn't take advantage of. The breakfast was mostly starchy, but I could have made a meal of it if necessary. The coffee was surprisingly good in the lobby. I didn't bother to make coffee in my room.

Overall, I think it was excellent value for money. For a Fri/Sat booking, my bill was $117 with tax. As a single woman traveling on business, I felt safe, and this was a bargain motel.

There is also an outlet mall almost directly across the interstate from this motel, but I was too tired after work to enjoy it.

Please see my reviews on restaurants close by - one was horrendous!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

I'm not sure where to begin. They don't treat the "guest" in Guest House Inn well at all! God forbid you'd like to dry off after a shower, you'll get a careless attitude from the front desk and the same from the housekeeping. If you wanna keep your head comfy during your sleep, don't expect to be helped in that area either. A snooty attitude is only complimented by the dirty sock smell of the rooms. There's probably a reason that the Guest House Inn is hidden behind the Waffle House, it doesn't deserve a spot on the main roads of Ellenton.

• Stayed March 2010
indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

Better than average value hotet. Not immaculate but clean. Nice staff and continental breakfast. Newer AC in room. Daily fresh towels and bed changed every three days. Good location to interstate, outlet mall and restaurants. Pretty heated pool next to scenic lake. Would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
johnnyb53
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

Do not understand at all the negative reviews for this motel. We asked to see romm first after reading the negative reviews. The room was clean and did not smell. Staff was friendly and we would reccommend this hotel. I have stayed at other hotels that were more expensive but no better. At a rate of around $50.00 you cant beat this. Our room even had a view of the lake. Would deffinitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

Our family recently stayed at GuestHouse Inn in Ellenton Florida. I booked the room through the 1-800 number because, I was unable to get through to the Ellenton location. Once we arrived the front desk clerk was unable to find our reservation and replied that they lose them all the time. I was worried because, we were in town for a family funeral, had spent an exhausting day at hospice and needed a place to stay. She actually asked me to come around her front desk and go into her managers office and see if I could locate the reservation on their computer. She then replied that she has another room and would give it to us a discount. Bathroom was not clean, their was hair on the toilet. yuck. Toilet did not flush well. Front door appeared to have been kicked in a few times and did not shut well. Door is on the outside of the building. Pool was gross. Not clean. The other people that were staying there were throwing each other in the pool sitting on chairs with the staff standing there laughing. A small child actually banged his head on the side of the pool. There was a lot of bird poop, bugs, gum, what appeared to be puke around the pool and bugs and leaves in the pool. I refused to go in the hot tub. There were people actually taking a bath in the hot tub with the staff watching.
Overall, not a good experience.

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — everything listed in my review
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
tallahassee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2007

Do Not Stay Here!!!! We all got sick from the mold and mildew. First of all, we paid over $100 for a one night stay, so this is no cheapy motel. We arrived late and the incompetent clerk (who we had to deal with through a window slot) spent forever re-entering all of our information because she could not figure out how to find us with our confirmation number. We requested a first floor room, which was a mistake, as it absolutely STUNK with mold and mildew. The furniture was all warped where it met the carpet, which led me to believe that there had been flooding in the room at some time. There was even a huge (and loud) dehumidifier in the room...so they knew there were mildew problems. There was animal hair all over the carpet. The tub was so stained and dirty I would not wash my children in it, even after I tried to clean it. My whole family wound up taking benadryl from the moldy/mildewy atmosphere which caused us all to have allergy attacks. If it hadn't been so late we would have packed up and found another hotel. The next morning the other clerk allowed us into the smoke filled "lobby," where she messed up our bill and claimed she had no knowledge of any mildew problems because she "hadn't been around lately." I wouldn't stay here again if they paid me.

• Liked — Absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty, smelly, mildew room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to GuestHouse Inn? Share your experiences!