“Home away from home!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sportsman's Lodge Motel & Marina

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Eastpoint
Sportsman's Lodge Motel & Marina
You added Sportsman's Lodge Motel & Marina to your Saves list
99 North Bayshore Drive, Eastpoint, FL 32328   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eastpoint
“Home away from home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

The Bering Sea has nothing on this place with it's gold and bickering and dysfunctional relationships. Meet Edda and her family and Miss Rose. Beautiful pristine place, clean comfortable rooms always more than you expected, family and MORE than reasonable!

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Pay no attention to any other review of this establishment that is less than superb, awesome relaxing and great. FIVE hotels in a hundred miles. I have a kitchen, a nice clean room, close to everything there is to see and do. A great bed every time A/C heat and lots of hot water.
A family owned and operated establishment with customers that come every year for 30 years.
A reservation with a phone call. No credit card required, Miss Edda will book your room and even leave the key in your door after she retires around 10. Hey get some rest, we can settle up tomorrow, I know where you are. With a generous late check-out and casual atmosphere how can you possibly complain. Yes there are many Peacocks strolling the grounds, also fox,Bald Eagle,puppies,Pelicans and golly you may even glimpse a Black Bear strolling down the street enjoying the Eastpoint nightly Bear buffet. Some say "outdated" some say "Rustic a step up" say others. Well you could run over the bridge and pay twice the price for the same spiderwebs cats dogs and wildlife. But I guess since that place is really over 100 years old, and claims to be haunted when the pipes bang all night that is scary. "Old and run down" the lady from Jan 12 says, stayed one night on business and ran off to Apalach. I suspect she was having issues with her cell phone. Folks if it's not Verizon your stuck, bring the laptop there is Internet in these parts. Drop the stress and relax, you will never ever see sunsets like these, you will never ever meet great folks like this, or find fish like these. And I assure you that you will not find a fairer price in 100 miles in any direction. If the "junk and rundown trailer" lady would have stayed past sunrise she would have noticed that the Lodge is also a Marina with a campground on the point. Ha ! guess she missed the faded arrow that says "RV's"
In conclusion, if your passing through in a hurry, are incapable of relaxation or just plain big city scary. Please KEEP DRIVING the big city is only 50 miles down the road and I may want to enjoy the room you left for us. If you are in town long term working STAY HERE. If you are hankering to spend a week fishing STAY HERE. If you want that quiet getaway where the kids can't get in trouble, can't spend your money and will never ever be sitting in the room bored STAY HERE. I certainly will and so do my friends.

Room Tip: Bayside rooms have AWESOME views, great for the romantic getaway. Lots of different size rooms, if...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

If your idea of travelling is finding some unique, interesting out of the way places..then this is the spot for you.

I've been going there for at least ten years. I live in Tallahassee and it's only about an hour...maybe an hour and half away...and a great retreat for me.

Why do I like it so much?

1) It's got that "old Florida" feel. I was raised in Florida so I know what I'm talking about. It's a collection of old two story buildings and some modular buildings..nestled in among a lot of trees...On the bay across from Apalachicola...Peacocks wandering around...Very quiet and peaceful. (Though if you've never heard a peacock before...it might startle you!)

2) The rooms are pretty clean..and I get one on the backside overlooking the bay with a kitchenette...and very reasonably priced. If you want luxury, this isn't it. But it's clean and comfortable...and being able to open the screen door to the wraparound porch (on the second story) is about as relaxing as it can be.

3) It's half way between St George Island and Apalachicola..both places that I like to spend time. St George is one of the famous barrier islands of North Florida (on Dr. Beach's 2011 Top Beaches...) and miles of white, white sand...and blue, blue water. And Apalach is a hundred plus year old fishing town with enough character, places to shop, historic landmarks and on and on that is really very pleasant. (Note they basically shut down on Sunday)

4) If you're a boater there is a public boat ramp next to the property and some small docks.

5) The woman who runs the place is wonderful.

What you may not like..

This place draws all kinds of people...from curious traveler, regulars like myself...fishermen...so if you can't fit in with everybody...might not be a good choice. Some rednecky element...but never bad..Even with the large groups of people at times who want to have a good time...sitting outside and having beer and bbq..it never gets loud or rude. The people all respect each other. At least I've never, ever had any problems..and have had some good times meeting others who stay there.

The rooms aren't spartan...but they ain't fancy either. For instance, they have flat screen tv's...but they aren't giant ones. I always bring my own soap ( I do that every where I go though) and towels...(their towels are well above average...I just like my own).

So give it a try once. If it's your cup of tea, you'll be glad you did. (Thanks Edda!)

Room Tip: I like the bayside rooms on the back...you can get a king size bed..a kitchenette and the room overl...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband, 3 small dogs and I just stayed for our first time, but not our last. We travel a lot for my husbands job, so we have a lot of motel experience. Sportsman's Lodge is clean and quiet. It is great for fishermen! Our dogs also really enjoyed their walks. I don't really fish, but Apalachicola is just across the bridge with many shops to browse. It was so peaceful to sit on the balcony watching the water and gorgeous sunset. Yes, it is old, and a bit frayed around the edges, but it is so very beautiful, and did I mention clean!!! No spider webs at all!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Quirky, quaint, not sure how to coin this location. The owners were lovely people and very trusting of their guests and loyal to their employees. Fantastic location righ on the bay but very outdated, some units more than others. Our family room had the basic amenties, albeit very dated and not redecorated since the 80's maybe. The beds, linens and towels were sufficient but nothing over the top. The space - kitchen bath, etc were clean but small. The family unit was described as two bedrooms but with out doors I think I would say its more like two rooms with a kitcenette, bath and ability to sleep 6. There are peacocks, dogs, cats and children that roam the property - many differing types of buildings including tents, campers and hotel units.

Room Tip: Ask for the 2 bedroom unit across from the office or one that faces the bay.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Slocomb
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have been coming to the Sportsman's Lodge for years. I am always as excited to arrive as the first time I visited as a child. Now as an adult with three kids of my own,my husband and I enjoy being at The Sportsman's Lodge. The owners are on the premises and are very nice. Bob and Edda care for their guests as family. How many places can take credit for that? Being an early childhood teacher with a B.S. degree, I can not say enough about the teaching opportunities that surround this beautiful Lodge. As a home school mom I have so much to offer my children from just learning about the bay & ocean life right at our doorstep when we are there. In addition to this, is the gorgeous peacocks that are roaming this lodge. If you don't think peacocks are unique, try to buy a pair of real peacock earrings at your local shopping mall. Peacocks are trendy and are a fashion statement from jewelry to attire.
The squirrels alone are fun to watch. There is one tree that has a perfect, hollowed whole, in the middle of the trunk, that can be seen from the lodge window. My children were able to watch the squirrels feed their young without even disturbing their home.
Speaking of trees, some rooms are built around trees. Trees at this lodge are considered cherished and protected. This is easily seen by the wildlife among the trees and the root system on the grounds. Something all of us take for granted.
The days of a Lodge like this no longer exist. What a beautiful and peaceful place to relax. If you miss an opportunity to stay at this Lodge, you are truly missing an opportunity to be touched by what the bay and nature has to offer. This unique lodge is in the central location for touring anywhere in Eastpoint, St. George Island and Appalachicola. The view of the Appalachicola Bridge from this Lodge is breathtaking. I am not an author but it would be easy for me to write a book of the love that I have for this Lodge and its owners-Bob& Edda Allen. I praise God for the opportunity that I was given as a child to come here many times and for the many opportunities of being able to bring my own family. What a blessing! A blessing that I hope will continue with my children and their family one day. This lodge is for everyone. The young, the old and the young at heart!
The Spivey's

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We chose this place based on recent Trip Advisor reviews. First time TA reviewers let us down. We don't mind rustic or quaint, but there must be minimum standards, which aren't met here. There were more huge spiderwebs than fresh towels in our unit. The wall AC unit, dating from the invention of such appliances, though a necessity in the humid summer weather still sounded like the freight train passing by. The flock of peacocks was a nice touch, but the owners' unfriendly pair of dogs roaming freely, which growled menacingly at our harmless lab retriever on her walk, weren't appreciated. Parking is wherever you find open land around the randomly located buildings on tree-root strewn ground. We could only find one restaurant a short drive nearby, a great Mexican food place just east on the main road. The grounds are large and wooded though right on the bay. The price was reasonably cheap but in the end this place is only for fishermen, folks who are looking for backwoods basic, or those who usually sleep outdoors and want to come inside (sort of) for a night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sportsman's Lodge Motel & Marina? Share your experiences!