“Hidden Treasure” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 43 Restaurants in Dunnellon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Delivery
Description: Only wood burning pizza restaurant in Citrus County.
“Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

The Pizza Joint is not really close to anywhere, and it's attached to a convenience store/gas station. If you hadn't already known about it, you'd probably drive right on by, and if you do, you'll be missing out on some of the best pizza in central Florida. They offer a wide variety of pies baked in a wood fired oven, and the one we had today was excellent. It's definitely worth the effort to find the place.

Central Florida, Florida
“Amazing food in Citrus County area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

After recently moving back to Citrus County, I was excited to try out The Pizza Joint, which I found randomly one day on TripAdvisor and was taken aback by the outstanding reviews. As I am always on what seems to be a perpetual search for amazing pizza, my fiancee and I stopped in here on our first night back. While I often feel that most pizza places offer a standard, sub-par product that we have all come to know, The Pizza Joint stands out above and beyond the mediocre "Italian" food that is so common in not just Citrus County, but in large cities, as well. Upon entering, we were immediately greeted with a friendly welcome and told that there was no problem with us enjoying the wine that we brought (always a bonus). We ordered the eggplant special which came with thinly sliced eggplant, fresh garlic, and fresh basil. The pizza was cooked to absolute perfection, tasted fresh, and had wonderful flavor. We can't wait to go back again and are looking forward to trying out the wings next time. We already told our family and some friends about this establishment as we were extremely excited for something so genuinely good and special to be in the area. I have eaten pizza all over the country, including New York City, and this place is up there with the best of them without the pretension and right here in beautiful Citrus County. Highly recommend this place!!!

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
florida
“Best Pizza, Best Wings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

I have ordered take out twice so far. The first time ordering the arugula special pizza with the PJ salad. All I can say, you have to give arugula on a pizza a try...this pizza is awesome!!! As I am sure the rest are. LOVE the wood fire crust! Love the flavors of the pizza. The salad was huge, and enough for 3 people with a homemade Italian dressing, so good. Then last night I ordered the wings.....WOW!!! Yummy! They marinade them in a home made marinade and them cook them in that special wood oven, so good, so tender (I would love to have some more right now). Not only is this little place a food find (can't wait to try the pastas and homemade meatballs), the owner is such a nice guy. He is so friendly, and shows he appreciates your business, and he even had one of his staff carry my food out to the car. This place reminds me of what would be everyone's favorite place in a NYC neighborhood. I wish them much success, and will be back on a weekly (or more) basis.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Terrific Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Another terrific Trip Advisor find. This is not a place I would have ever stopped if not for reading the reviews. Amazing cannoli and pizza. Taste like it in right out of NYC.

“Leave the gun, and take a cannoli!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The subject line of this review is, of course, a famous quote from "The Godfather" movie. But it works for this review too! We had our usual delicious meal (their pasta with ricotta and meatballs) at The Pizza Joint last night, but this was the first time we took a pair of cannolis home. They were "killers" ( in the very best way). When you go there next time, you MUST not leave without at least one! Try it...you'll love it!

• Visited June 2014