“disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
“disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

for three years every time I rode by Eli's in the bike trail, I told myself that the humble looking place could well be a good place for food. today, I finally stopped by for the first time. I ordered rib sandwich, of corse. what I got was four piece is ribs sitting on top of two pieces of sliced white bread - there was really no "sandwich" to speak of. then the meat itself was more chewy than tender - they did not fall off of the bone even after I bite into it. also, he overall cooking was bland and there was NO sauce of any kind to choose from. very disappointed. I had only two pieces and got bored with it. (caveat, Eli passed away last night as I was told. could be the reason cooking was not good. I only hope this is not the beginning of decline since they lost the cook.)

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dunedin, Florida
“Good basic barbecue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The food is simple...barbeque that's been smoked for a long time. Very simple fare, but when you want BBQ, it's a solid choice. Take it home or eat at a picnic table beside the highway....

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maine
“There's a line for a reason”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

It was the line that attracted us: as we drove into Dunedin, we thought this place was an old-fashioned ice cream stand. But when we went for a walk on the Pinellas Trail that borders its grounds, we discovered this is a wonderful BBQ that is only open on Fridays and Saturdays -- one of those local treasures one hopes to find when traveling. The staff carries the meat in from the smokehouse out back, and you can watch it being chopped...sweet sauce, beans and slaw, and that's about it. Unless you want a pickle. They've got those too!!! Do it. You won't be sorry. Just arrive hungry.

• Visited February 2013
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
“Excellent Southern Georgia style open pit BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

As my header stated this is open pit Southern style BBQ. The emphasis is on the meat flavour, not the smoke (which is primarily red oak w/ white Oak and a hint of Hickory). The meat is cooked in an open pit and so tends to be a bit chewier than closed pit BBQs. It is lightly seasoned not rubbed...

All of that said - excellent, really excellent. spectacular chicken and ribs. I would have tried the butt, however I can only eat so much.

Cons - only two sides - slaw and beans - both great - only open Friday & Saturday - open picnic table seating.

BTW - Tripadvisor is a poor resource for foodies because it is nearly impossible to introduce new restaurants here unless they have a web site. For this reason, I have stopped trying to post reviews on new and undiscovered restaurants.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dunedin, Florida
“Right on the Pinellas Trail...Great stop for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We were walking our dogs and decided to stop in. Good pulled pork. Good value. I was hesitant to eat at a little "stand-looking" place, but I'm glad I did. It's not fancy, no indoor seating, just picnic tables under the trees....but it was really good. We'll be walking back up there, may be even this weekend!

• Visited October 2012