“First impressions are everything” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Clearwater, Florida
“First impressions are everything”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I live here in Dunedin, Florida. Along with myself, my husband and my 8 yr old son we went to Kally K's for the first time tonight. When we first pulled in the parking lot was packed so I said to my husband this a good sign and he said yes considering all the awards they got, I researched this place before we went for prices and the menu and found that this place was supposed to be excellent. When we first came in, the hostess didnt even say hello...."3" is all she said and I said yes then she walked away as if we were supposed to magically know we were to follow her. She sat us about 8 feet from the hostess booth and front door. We decided on what we were going to get and sat and waited for the waiter or waitress to come back for our drink orders. Well, we waited and waited and waited for 10 minutes before anyone even acknowledged us. Another waitress walked by the table beside us and asked if everything was ok so far and still we sat there as if we were invisible. I said to my family "do you have to be a senior in order to get service here?" Meanwhile the hostess walked by us numerous times acknowledging the fact that we were ready to order as the menus were closed and we were engaging in conversation with each other but still nothing. Not even a word from her or any other employee that works there. At this point we had decided leave just because of the ignorance from hostess as we came in and the amount of time that had gone by until a server got to us. When the server got to our table I immediately asked for the manager, she was polite and said yes no problem. When the manager came to our table, it turned out to be the rude hostess, When she got there the first thing she said was "I'm sorry, we are busy and we are short staffed". I told her I understand that and I worked in the business and have been there but instead of being ignorant and rude, you should tell the customer that in the beginning so the customer knows what to expect at that point. I understand that they were busy but instead of pretending we werent there, how about telling us that from the beginning and actually acknowledging we are there since the table beside us at least got the "is everything ok so far". The manager talked to 2 older men (who seemed to be regulars) when they came in but we didnt even get a hello. When I expressed our concerns she didnt seem to care. I told her I dont know how they got all these awards with such poor service. I do not recommend this restaurant to anyone who is not a regular or if you are not a senior.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Toronto, Canada
“Not for grand celebrations but good food at a fair price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Our grey hair wasn't out of place when we ate here at lunchtime, in fact the silver crowd was very much in the majority!
A trip to the salad bar was part of our meal and the ladies decided that they would stick with that. The guys went for something in the comfort food range and there were plenty of options. The food was pretty much standard diner fare but the service was friendly and we were seated quickly even though it was peak lunch time.
Clean, easy on the tummy and the wallet. Perhaps not a place for grand celebrations but for a decent meal without breaking the bank you won't go far wrong.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Just ok. ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Popular among the blue haired crowd, this place is busy due to lunch specials and an unlimited salad bar that comes with dinners. The salad bar is standard but makes the meal worth it because the main entrees were just ok. Shrimp and fish were drowning in butter and overwhelmed with paprika and spices. The soups seemed like they were straight from a can. The pasta was ok. The burger was the best choice among all of our selections.

Palm Harbor, Florida, United States
“Good food. Good Prices.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Kally K's is a go to place when you want good food, friendly service, and good prices. Their meals, like the fried chicken which is my favorite, is fresh made and there is lots of it. Combine this with the soup and salad bar, you have a multi-course meal that is excellent.

If you are in Dunedin, FL, try it. You will be glad you did.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My mother had been here before and recommended this restaurant. We were seated quickly and efficiently in a booth.

The menu is reminiscent of a nicer Greek diner in New York, which it basically is except that it's in Florida. The service was pleasant, although it took a little while for us to get our food. There is a soup and salad bar, which was nicely stocked with attractive options. My mother ordered a fish filet sandwich; I ordered chicken cordon bleu with a pasta side.

The food was reasonably tasty, but the presentation was mediocre. The cordon bleu sat in the center of the plate with just a bit of greenery on the side. The pasta was on a small plate with an unappetizing red sauce.

Pinellas County doesn't have a great selection of restaurants of this type, so I might go again, but I would be happy to find another option.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere