“Poor execution of a good concept” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Tampa, Florida
“Poor execution of a good concept”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

I travel extensively and eat at fine restaurants throughout the world. I am a regular at Babbo in New York, Gary Danko in San Francisco, Mansion on Turtle Creek in Dallas and Frontera Grill in Chicago for example.

So....having said all that, when I heard there was a great little six table place in Dunedin that was supposed to be the best place in town I made a reservation for my wife and I with great anticipation.

First, the location is near a pawn shop and in a small strip mall. Not a great start. When we sat down we were told how special the place was and we were about to eat with the group that used to cook for Brooke Astor...(come on folks....trying a little too hard?)

Second, the interior decoration leaves much to be desired - middle of the road art, one window with blinds covering it all. Just not a great ambiance.

Third, the wine list arrives. Very limited selection. I anticipated at least 50 or 60 wines to choose from. Even everyday standards like a a Sonoma Cutrer chard or a selection of really nice Califonia Pinots were missing. VERY dissapointing.

Fourth, the supposed star of the show, the food was just OK to good - not the spectacular food expects at an expensive restaurant. Iceberg lettuce salad (!!), meat was very well cooked and delicious but the poached pear desert was relataitvely tasteless. They made such a big deal that it was served with cheese and to eat both together...wow what an experience (not).

Fifth, I was told that the service was incredible. The waiter came to the table once to see if we needed anything during a 2 hour meal. No chef emerged from the kitchen as I was told might happen.

Sixth, came the check. As I was signing my bill for over $200 (which I do without issue on a regular basis with happiness after a great meal at other restaurants) I could not help but feel I was just ripped off.

I have since discovered a couple of other places in Dunedin that blow Six Tables away - one is called the Black Pearl and the other is an Italian place called Bellini.

Save a $100 and go to the 2 restaurants I mentioned above for great food. Take a pass on Six Tables.

Florida
“Unforgettable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

There's nothing quite like this charming hideaway, nestled in a nondescript shopping center near downtown. It never looks open from the outside, and we had passed it up many a time. However, once you have reservations, you are invited into such an amazing experience.

I recently visited Six Tables for the first time last weekend in celebration of my mother's birthday. I can honestly say she will never forget this dining experience, and neither will I.

Not only was the intimacy and service outstanding, but the food -- wow, the food -- was divine. We had a total of seven courses plus wine, and each course inspired conversation. The amount of food was just perfect -- I did wind up taking home a small portion of food, but was otherwise perfectly satisfied with the pace, portion sizes and options.

Some of our dishes included: lobster bisque, lemon sorbet with lime zest, rack of lamb, chateaubriand, brandy-poached pear and more.

The chef personally introduces the entrees to you, while her husband provides the rest of the exceptional service.

When you're ready for an experience that's all about the FOOD, go to Six Tables. You won't regret it.