“New Ownership” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 140 Restaurants in Dunedin
Cuisines: American, Californian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Florida
“New Ownership”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This restaurant used to be called Iris's and is under new management since January 2013. We chose it for proximity to the Blue Jays ball park in Dunedin (one block) and because we'd eaten here the previous two years when in town for spring training.
First surprise - game parking is no longer free when you dine. You pay an additional $10 to leave your car, which they'll add to your check.
New rules at Home Plate - breakfast ends at 10:00 a.m. No exceptions. It used to be 11:00 on game days when Iris owned it, and she had a couple of breakfast options on the lunch menu, in case you missed the cut-off. No more. So much for having breakfast.
We nearly fainted from hunger waiting an hour for simple lunch entrees. Tomato bisque soup was brought quickly enough - barely lukewarm. Two of us sent it back for a nuke, and one ate it cold. I've never eaten gritty tomato soup before, but hey, I was famished.
When our entrees finally arrived, only one of four was correct. My grilled cajun chicken salad arrived with no chicken. Our server had to go back to the kitchen and request a plate of chicken. I asked for creamy parmesan dressing and got raspberry vinagrette.
One in our party ordered fries with her egg salad sandwich and got tortilla chips. Another ordered a blue cheese, bacon burger, which arrived with no bacon.
Egg salad sandwiches arrived on hard, cold toast. They'd probably been sitting a long time before being delivered to our table.
Our server was very friendly, accommodating and apologetic for the unending errors. Food was mediocre, when they finally got it right. After such an extended wait and so many errors, there's no reason to return.
Before leaving we requested that the $10 parking fee be waived, to compensate for our negative dining experience. It was. That was the highlight of our meal at Home Plate.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Clearwater, Florida
“Don't bother”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Maybe breakfast is ok, but we haven't tried that. Lunch and dinner menu contain standard fare. There's always a coupon for a discounted meal in one of the free coupon books. Food is average at best. Staff are nice, but this tiny place in a small strip center is ok for locals; but don't make a special trip

Visited June 2012
Tampa, Florida
“Simple Fare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Local hangout. Nothing fancy but staff is very friendly. Busy during Blue Jays games since it is across the street from the park.

Visited April 2012
Dunedin
“Now I remember why I don't go there”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I went for Sunday breakfast. The occupancy was way below half full, maybe 30%, so that were definitely not slammed.

I had to ask for a coffee refill 5 times. I had to ask for water 3 times. The pancake was burnt and I'm not sure what they are using for the sausage and bacon, but it didn't taste like any pork product I have ever had.

Oh wait, I exaggerated, I didn’t have to ask for coffee 5 times. She asked me twice if I wanted more coffee and then did not bring it. Then I had to ask 3 more times.

Even though I live right around the corner from Iris', I hadn't been in there for over a year. Now I remember why I don't go there and hopefully I won't forget again.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Palm Harbor, Florida
“Too pricey... used to be more family oriented at a lowe cost”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Great atmospher, but was dissapointed to see the prices get upped so much. Breakfast is not that expensive. I would rather go somewhere else and get more if I am going to pay that money!

Visited February 2012