“Great Beach!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Attractions in Dunedin
Type: Beaches, State Parks, Outdoors
Activities: Swimming
More attraction details
Owner description: This island state park offers numerous nature-based activities.
“Great Beach!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

My husband and I live in Florida and we are always looking forward to wonderful day-trips exploring places we have never been to before. We loved this beach and plan on going there again.

It helps to arrive early as they have limited parking. It is considered a Florida State Park; the admission for the two of us was $8. The bathrooms were very clean and they had some picnic tables in various spots around the island so you could take a lunch. There are also a number of restaurants to eat at before you enter the park.

The people that came early, like us, were looking for shells. Everyone that passed us on the beach said hello. Two men we passed gave us advice on the island. One shared some of what he found that he had extras of. He was visiting from Lakeland, FL. Overall, the "shellers" were a very friendly bunch.

We spent 4 1/2 hours there and were exhausted by the time we left. Be sure and bring water if you are going exploring. Thank goodness, we had this foresight. The side we were on was rocky but we were told the the other side of the island rivals Jamaica. Our goal when we go again is to walk the entire five mile circumference and explore everything.

Durham, North Carolina
“Pet beach - the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I can really only review for the pet beach - I took my dog there yesterday and it was just the greatest. I want to make sure I review because after an attack, my dog is a little reactive when other dogs get right in her face. So, it's important for me to avoid off-leash dogs. The pet beach here requires that dogs be on leash, and for the most part people do respect that (I did see two off leash dogs, but one was far away and the other didn't stray far from her owner). I know some see the leash rules as a negative, but really this is a gift for pups who want to have fun in a safe way.

The pet beach is very large, with very soft sand and lots of shells. Sunset there is divine. Try to avoid the grassy areas as there are sand spurs there. The trail from the car is a little long but fun.

Highly recommend. Please leash your pups! Long leash is good too!

Brockville, Canada
152 attraction reviews
“Great Place to see Dolphins”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

We stopped here during our trip to Tampa. To get into the park, it costs $8. We walked on the beach which was a bit rough in areas. They had swings along the beach which was nice to relax on. Parts of the beach were nice to walk on though. As you walked along the beach, you could spot dolphins - which was awesome. There were washroom facilities along the beach which was an added bonus.

Longview, Washington
“Gorgeous & Clean Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I took my children to the Honeymoon Island beach on our first visit to Florida. The beach is very well maintained, including the restrooms and other park areas. The are also nature trails, which are great for spotting birds, turtles and other Florida habitat.

We absolutely LOVE the Gulf side of Florida and with water that is so clear & calm, it is the perfect place to send an afternoon during our day long breaks from Disney! We can spend hours just playing in the warm water, watching for small fish or collecting shells as well as walking along the powder-soft white sand beach.

I highly recommend Honeymoon Island State Park beach!

We now make it a point to visit one of the beaches--usually Honeymoon or Caladesi Island--for a day trips whenever we visit Florida. Our trips are generally in off-season {September}, so the beaches are usually quiet & with very few people.

Visited September 2013
NJ
“Osprey heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Best place to take pics of Ospreys. Saw 25 in 90 minutes. Many other birds, tortoises, a nice beach. Pretty causeway drive to the Island.