“Memorable experience and not the good kind” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Dundee – Winter Haven East

You added Red Roof Inn Dundee – Winter Haven East to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Dundee – Winter Haven East
28610 US Hwy 27 North, Dundee, FL 33823 (Formerly Quality Inn Cypress Gardens)   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dundee
Atlantic City, New Jersey
“Memorable experience and not the good kind”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Since my husband smokes, I had booked their only smoking room for a one night stay. T!how turned out to be the worst motel we have ever stayed in. We can accept well worn/old as long as the room is clean - this room was not clean. At the onset we were given a key because the card lock was not working. When my husband asked for an ash tray for the room he was provided a Styrofoam cup to use. He was told he could put water in the cup and use that as an ash tray. The bathroom was in terrible condition and the floor was dirty. None of the ice machines were working, we had to go to the lobby for ice. Once we got back to the room after dinner we realized that the air conditioner was not working properly. It was cooler outside than in the room. Between the heat and the musty odor in the room we had a very sleepless night. At 9:30 the next morning the cleaning person was knocking at the door inquiring whether we were checking out. She returned a half hour later saying they needed our towels. We were dumbfounded. I would not recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Northern PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I booked a king room for a week through RRI and was first given a two bed room on the back side near other 'long term' residents. Parked near room, but could barely open the car door to get out due to the overgrown shrubs and trees. Actually banged my head on a tree limb trying to get out of the car!

Arrived very late due to a flight delay, but manager was very polite and gave me another room pool side that had a king. Because of the pool, parking wasn't near the door so it was a bit of a long walk for a tired traveler. Manager opened the door to let me in, and went back to make me a key. Turned on lights and stomach turned as well. Dirty, stained carpet and furniture, and bathroom had some mold and smell... but no bedbugs at least.

I was SO tired that I took it.

After waiting about 20 minutes for a key, I called the desk. 10 minutes later he brought it, but didn't try it. Stepped out for a bit of fresh air before getting into bed, and realized the key didn't work. No red light, no green light, nothing. Dead lock! Manager had to let me back in with pass key again, and promised that the lock would be fixed first thing in the morning.

After a long day of business, I returned to not only find the key NOT working, but wasn't replaced. Told they had to order parts, and it would be a few days. They would have to let me in the room each time I left or stepped outside. Upon entering the room again, I found that it was NOT cleaned from my one night's stay. No fresh towels, no bed made, and the smell was then overpowering.

Although the front desk offered to change the room AGAIN (literally begging me to let them make it right three or four times), I just wanted out of there ASAP. They finally gave me a refund on my booking (still charging me for the one night).

The only thing Red Roof about this property is that the building has a red colored roof! My first truly bad experience with this chain, and it will be my last.

Room Tip: A tip to help travelers choose a good room? Easy... book elsewhere!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Chandler, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

There is always an excuse from the management. I have stayed in a lot of Red Roof Inns. This room was never vacuumed, had to go the front desk about 50% of the time to get linens, my key did not work 3 plus times a week, my credit card charges were never correct, bring your own bug spray and did I mention it is a real quiet place until the 18 wheelers crank up in the morning. Was hacked into by way of the wifi - not so good. Called corporate to discuss in detail. Now that being said many people at my job had similar and worse experience than this. This can be denied by the hotel and a DIS -REGARD answer/reply will be given to this statement. It is what it is no more and maybe less.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

I stayed here with my family so we could go to LegoLand the following day. We arrived around 5pm, and the check-in process was painfully slow. The guest in front of us was attempting to switch rooms because of an issue.

I requested a remodeled room with laminate flooring when I booked, and called to confirm a few days before, but when I went to check in, they didn't even know from the computer which rooms had the flooring, and the person had to leave to physically check a few. Then when he came back he informed me that if I wanted the remodeled room, it would have to be a King, and not two doubles as I had originally requested. At that point the flooring was more important to me due to my son having allergies, so we went with it.

After checking in, we went to our room, which was in the back, and it was OK. The only thing I noticed right off was that the safety lock that usually allows you to open the door partially was missing. Then later that night as I went to shower there wasn't hot water, it was lukewarm.

We slept well though, the room was quiet, and being in the back there wasn't any traffic or noise to be heard. The room was also spacious. All in all for the price I'd say it's pretty much what I would expect and would have ranked it average, but due to the hot water issue I lowered it a bit.

Room Tip: Request a room that has been remodeled.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Corbin, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

I had reservations about booking my crew here at first. I went in to meet with the DOS, Kathy, and am now booking longterm. Competent, friendly and a straightshooter, she took charge to show me rooms, talk over options, introduce me to staff and instill confidence in the property. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The grounds nice and parking plentiful. All the staff members I met were friendly and smiling. Kathy's knowledge of the area is astounding and her honesty refreshing. Yes there still needs to be some fixing. Yes there are still problems. But everything is being worked on and it gets better everyday. Any problems, just let them know. Having stayed at places that stick their head in the sand about any trouble spots I would rather hear this upfront instead of having to argue it out after the fact. For the location, price, quality and good staff, it's been a winner.

Room Tip: Poolside stays cooler. The backside has close parking and looks out at orange groves but the sun is...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Kathy B, Director of Sales at Red Roof Inn Dundee – Winter Haven East, responded to this review, September 18, 2014
Thank you for your kind words. We pride ourselves in working as a team here at Red Roof Inn Dundee and to go that extra mile for our valued customers. It is nice to hear positive feedback.
Chandler, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Large rooms - clean - quiet - no bugs - reasonably priced
I live in a hotel most of the year. Got kids get in the front near pools. I do not and I always ask for the back away from everyone else, less to put up with. This Red Roof is corporate owned, enough said. It is a bit different than the individually owned Red Roofs. No crock pots etc. You can cook in the microwave or grill outside. Pick your posin type thing. Good price for what you get.

Room Tip: I live in a hotel most of the year. Got kids get in the front near pools. I do not and I always ask...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Rotterdam, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed during the last week of June 2014 for a week. The service was excellent. There was some ongoing maintenance and sprucing up, but the workers were careful to not disturb the guests.The pool was real nice. They repainted the entire deck area around the pool, making sure not to get in the way of the guests. Our grandchildren live nearby and they came to the motel and swam with us just about every day. They brought us an extra bed at no charge for the kids and our king size bed was very comfortable. The AC, refrigerator, microwave all worked good too. I recommend this motel to anyone who will spend a lot of time at the motel. It is enjoyable and relaxing. The price was great and I have absolutely no complaints regarding the motel, it's staff or the maintenance and quality of the facility. You can see every day they are always working hard to upgrade the entire place. Overall i had a really great week staying there. I am already making plans to stay there on our next trip.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Kathy B, Director of Sales at Red Roof Inn Dundee – Winter Haven East, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay here at Red Roof Inn Dundee-East Winter Haven. We have been working hard to bring this property to good standards and it is greatly appreciated when our valued customers take notice. We look forward to your return visit, if you are ever back in this area, and the hopes that you will find even more improvements.

Been to Red Roof Inn Dundee – Winter Haven East? Share your experiences!