“I should have spent my whole vacation at Hawks Cay” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save 20% All Fall!
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Duck Key
San Francisco, California
“I should have spent my whole vacation at Hawks Cay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

This luxurious hotel is located right in the middle of the keys. Rather than staying in Islamorada and Key West, I should have just stayed in one place and did day trips. It's pretty easy to get around. This hotel is fabulous for the pools alone! I liked the Tranquility Pool that doesn't allow children and the Lagoon is great when you want salt water. Seeing dolphin is always a treat and sitting around the big fire pit at night was very relaxing. But the room was great too and the staff very friendly. You can’t beat happy hour at Tom’s Harbor House or the drinks Sarah mixes at the lobby bar. It was a great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
HawksCayResort, Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2011
Dear ArleneHuber,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hawks Cay Resort. It's fantastic that you enjoyed your time here so thoroughly, and I just love the pictures you took. It's easy to get distracted by the stunning views down here....I knew there was a reason why my office doesn't have a window!

You're absolutely right, our location at mile marker 61 in the middle of the Keys is perfect for day trips north and south to different areas of the beautiful island chain. After a day of exploring Key West, it is such a comfort to come back and kick up your feet under the stars at our fire pit!

Sarah is a fantastic bartender that really takes pride in her drinks. I know she'll be happy to hear that you enjoyed her concoctions so much. Who can beat two daily happy hours at Tom's - an early and a late night version?! Glad you enjoyed happy hour dockside at Tom's. It's a favorite of guests, locals and our fishing captains.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please let me know if I can assist in planning your next visit.

2,626 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

Could not be a better place for families with young kids. The staff is amazing and the amenities for kids out of this world. The spa and fitness center, the adult pool (separate from the main pool), the kid's club pool (again, separate from the main pool), give plenty of options for swimming. The main pool and adult pool are set right on the water and have a wonderful view. Paddling kayaks in the fenced in lagoon is also fun! The set up for fishing off shore or in the back country is also world class for those who like to fish! We caught sail fish, mangrove snapper and grouper!

If you have 3 or 4 in the family, we recommend the sanctuary units, they have their own pools. Even though they are small pools, the kids love them!

We will be back!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
HawksCayResort, Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2011
Dear ptdapooz,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hawks Cay for your family vacation, and for sharing your feedback. Wow, you and your family certainly explored the island! I'm glad to hear that you had so much fun swimming, fishing and exploring. I'm jealous that you caught a sailfish, plus delicious grouper and snapper. What a fishing adventure...a trophy catch and release fish, plus enough for a good meal.

You are right, the Sanctuary Villas are very nice for families of 3 - 6. With private back yards and splash pools, you really have your own family "sanctuary" on a 60 acre resort. Why not plan to bring the extended family with you next time? Having a couple of the Sanctuary Villas on one street together makes for a really fun family reunion.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. If I can assist you in planning your next visit, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Best regards,
Melbourne, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

We should have known the stay would have been consistant with the fact that they spelled our name wrong on the reservation. The room was not vacumned, there was a coffee machine in the room-no cups or sugar. The staff was less than helpful throughout. It took less time for our fuud to arrive for our dinner than it took for the waitor to take our order. We were especially not impressed by the bartender who kept us waiting while he cleaned glasses off the empty bar and then yelled at us to come back as we walked away. We still had a great Christmas in the Keys, but we would not recommend the Hawk's Cay on Duck's Key to anyone. There is value here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear grayspiral,

Thank you for the honest feedback about your recent stay with us. On behalf of the entire Hawks Cay team, I'd like to apologize for the inconsistencies you experienced during your stay.

There is no excuse for the items that you bring up in the review. I'd like to find to out a bit more about your stay. Would you mind emailing me with the name on your reservation and any additional details you care to share?

Again, I am so sorry that we were not able to exceed your expectations. I hope that we will have the opportunity to do so in the future.

Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

By far the highlight for us was the Duck Key Snuba charter boat, you get to go 20-30 feet below the sea hooked up to a compressed air tube. Swimming with the tropical fish and right over the coral, fantastic four hours for $99.00

The hotel manager and staff were excellent to work with and squeezed us in at the last minute. Wonderful "can do" attitude. And the rooms and bathrooms are first-class.

Beautiful nighttime fire to sit around outside near the huge pool.

If youre traveling with kids treat them to an hour training with the Dolphins! They get to feed and pet the dolphins.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
HawksCayResort, Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2010
Dear Ski'nSun,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing feedback from your recent stay. It sounds like you had a great time exploring the fun and beauty that the Florida Keys have to offer.

You're right, SNUBA at Dive Duck Key is a really unique and interesting experience. With North America's only living coral reef right offshore from the resort, SNUBA, scuba and snorkeling here really does make you feel like you're in an aquarium!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hawks Cay. Next time, why not try your hand at kiteboarding or stand up paddleboarding? Please let me know if I can assist in planning your next visit.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010 via mobile

A nice location halfway down the Keys. Grounds and property are attractive and well maintained. Like the "lagoon" off the main pool. People friendly and helpful. Kids going to do the Dolphin Experience which while expensive should be a great experience. Some minuses - we're staying in the main hotel and it feels and sounds like we hear every sink, toilet and shower around us. Shower didn't work; had to be repaired. Had lunch at main restaurant Almy where the waitress delivered the wrong dishes and we waited for our food to come while our kids ate. Repeated requests for items required re-asking and then when bill came they had already inserted an 18% tip. I complained to the manager who to his credit comped the meal. But a waitress who knew how unhappy we were should have some sense or latitude. Upon checking in we were told that there was also a daily resort fee. As we had flown and then driven for.2 hours I didn't bother asking what it was...but seems misleading. All in all very good but not sure I would whole heartedly recommend.

• Stayed December 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing candid feedback about your recent stay with us. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience with us and that you and your family had such a fun time in the Saltwater Lagoon and participating in the Dolphin Connection program.

I apologize for the inconsistent service that you experienced during your lunch. There is no excuse for having to request items multiple times or receiving an incorrect order. Should you like to share additional details about this experience with me via email, I know that our Food & Beverage Team would appreciate the further feedback.

I am sorry and disappointed to hear that you were caught off guard upon check-in by the resort fee. We make every effor to communicate this fee and all that it entails prior to our guest arrival in as many venues as possible: via our reservations associates, online booking engine, website, confirmation emails, to mention a few. Would you mind sharing with me the avenue you used to make your reservation? I'd like to ensure that we're communicating with all of our guests in the most effective manner.

To clarify for you and other travellers, the daily resort fee covers gratuity for all housekeeping ang guest services associates (including valet, bellmen and Island Tram drivers), unlimited self and valet parking, wireless Internet throughout the resort, and unlimited access to the Indies Club for Kids & Families and the Fitness Center. Most of our guests find this to be a convenience, freeing them from the hassle or concern of tipping inidividuals throughout their stay, as well as providing access to key amenities.

Thank you, again, for your feedback. I hope that we'll have the opportunity to earn whole-hearted recommendations from you in the future.

Laurel, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

We stayed in the Sunset Villas--we had a two bedroom-two bath villa-The beds were quite comfortable and towels etc were provided daily-it was spacious and the staff responded to our requests quickly--the tranqulity pool was fabulous--no small children--lots of lounge chairs and excellent poolside service--the grounds were pretty--they were filming amovie with george hamilton but it did not disrupt any of our activities.The Spa was wonderful-great massage/very professional with a lovely facility... The dolphin pool was lovely--it was just the vacay we were looking for--very relaxed-good weather and nice people--wish we were there right now...

Dear meg4164,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. It sounds like you had the perfect relaxing escape, and we're happy to have helped you find island time.

There are so many areas to tuck away to find complete relaxation, and it sounds like you touched on every one during your stay! The Tranquilty Pool, Sunset Village, Calm Waters Spa and the Dolphin Connection....the only thing you're missing there is a frozen cocktail at the Beach Grill and an intimate dinner at Alma. Next time!

On a side note, George Hamilton was here filming a TV pilot for a show called the Last Resort. From what I understand, it's about a man that ditches his life in Minnesota for fun, sun and work at a resort in the Florida Keys. I think half of the team at Hawks Cay (including myself) could claim it is based on their life story!

We hope to host you again soon.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

Resort is Just OK.
Rooms are gorgeous.
Food -- TERRIBLE! and ridiculously expensive.
one drink - $12 with their self-imposed tax & tip.
Jess from New Zealand was excellent for staff.
As are the front door staff - but the rest were just OK.
They are filming a TV show there - so there are lots of disruptions. - sounds like they are going to be there a few months every year if the pilot is approved.
Tranquility pool - adults only - is nice to have.
the other pool is nice
HotTub is hot - and also nice.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Arorasha,

Thank you for sharing feedback about your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to adjust and improve our guest experience here, and feedback such as yours is very valuable in that process.

I am glad that your enjoyed our guestrooms, the pools, the hot tub and that the front door team and Jass at the Beach Grill Bar provided you such great service. I will be sure to pass the compliment along to these team members and their department managers.

I apologize for the disappointing experience you had with our dining options here. It is our goal to offer a wide variety of dining options with price points that are competitive within the region. The quality of the food served is extremely important to us, so I hope that you'll share additional details about your dining experience with me in order for us to address any issues appropriately.

As I discussed in another post, a TV pilot was being filmed here at the resort over the course of a few days. I am so sorry that this disrupted your stay, and I hope that we'll have the opportunity to earn your loyalty in the future.

If I can be of any assistance, or if you'd like to further discuss or share details of your stay, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

jennifer.dinan@hawkscay.com

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!