“Family of 5 had a great time!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   61 Hawks Cay Boulevard, Duck Key, FL 33050   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ocean County, NJ
“Family of 5 had a great time!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

We just got back from Hawk's Cay. We were there from 6/17-6/23/07. My 3 sons 7, 9 and 13,my husband and self had a wonderful time. Anyone we met at the resort was loving it.

We stayed in the Conch Spa Villa. Our backyard was a beautiful courtyard overlooking a laggon. We had a spa, beautiful plants, lounge chairs and a nice wrought iron patio table and chairs. The villa had 2 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths. We were a short walk to everything, but the resort does provide a shuttle service all over the resort and a moments notice. The Villa was nicely decorated in blue and yellow with a beachy motiff. The bedrooms were a little on the small side but the downstairs and courtyard with spa was great. My sons were in the spa (only 90 degrees very safe and comfortable) everyday.

The lagoon and family pool were very nice. The Indies club with basketball, volleyball, game room, pirate ship and lagoon pool were a hit with my sons. I enjoyed the spa on 3 seperate occasssions. The service was great. Thank you Diana, Margaret, Christine and Angelina for a very relaxing experience. Anyone we encountered was helpful and considerate. Check and check was a breeze.

My husband took the pool course for diving with Tilden's Dive Center and then we went on the dive boat with him. My two older sons Snuba, which is diving with the tanks on a raft not on your back, my husband dove and my youngest sons and me snorkeled. Tilden's staff was great. Thank you , oe, Wendy, Jason, Billy, Bob and Marianne. We loved it so much we went a second time.

Hawk's Cay is really a family resort. I did not get a chance to see adult pool, because I was with my family most of time. We ate a tboth
restaurant and food was very good. We are from NJ, so the price to us were not too pricey for being on vacation.

We also ate at the Wreck in Marathon and the Fishery(Lobster Reubens). We also venture down to Key West twice and had a great time. We went Bahia Honda State Park for some ocean swimming, very nice.

Anyone we met who was staying at the hotel really liked it. I know from speaking to the dive staff that there will be a 30 million dollar renovation. The hotel outside has a retro 60 look, the lobby etc was very nice.

Hawks Cay had everything a family could ask for. We met familes who went Parasailing and Eco Kakaking and loved it.

Duck Key is a very affulent location with million dollar homes.

I can wait to go back. Yes it is a pricey vacation....but I really felt for the first time that I was on Vacation.

• Liked — The amount of activities and pools
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
halesowen, west midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

Stayed here for one night to break up the drive from Miami to Key West. While the rooms could do with a refurb we found ours to be clean and for us thats the most important point.

All the staff were friendly enough with plenty of smiles and hellos from everybody.

We made the mos of the adult only pool both in the afternoon when we arrived and by going for an early morning swim. Having read the reviews on here we decided to eat of site - turned left out of the resort and stopped at a small place on the right (can't remember the name) but had great Chowder.

Bought a bottle of champagne from the on-site store and sat on the balcony enjoying the peace and quiet and felling totally relaxed

Had the continental breakfast in the morning which was fine - fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries and juice.

Overall an OK place to stay overnight but probably wouldn't want to stay for longer

Miami
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

I took my family to Hawk Cay 3 times during last 2 years. Is typical family resort with average services and relative high prices. We spent last weekend there and there are a lot of changes. Service in restaurant (Watersedge) was very bad and entertainment was so boring. Everytime we had amazing time with female DJ there (Friday) – a lot of fun and dance all night. Now no dance and entertainment the same as in cheap Chicago bar – poor guitarist with American music, or the same performers as in other hundreds places on Keys – nothing unique… I think we will take couple of years break with this resort.

Stayed June 2007
Baildon, West Yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

Lovely location but terrible rooms. large stain on carpet between bed and TV. Smallest bathroom I have seen, and poor quality. stained bedroom carpet extends into the bathroom,ugh, and coffee machine is in there too next to washbasin. balcony is bare concrete no tiles.When upgraded may be worth a visit but wait until completed.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

Where do I start. This was the most unfriendly hotel I have ever been to. We had bid on this hotel at a Breast Cancer silent auction--I'd rather have just donated the money. Upon arrival, the hotel has a door man standing guard opening & closing the door for the in & the out going guests. Only two of the many door openers ever smiled. At the front desk the only ones that acted like they actually were happy to see you was a Jamaican guy & a little blonde Australlian girl (don't remember their names). We always leave the maids a generous tip when we travel however when we said good morning to the two that were on our floor, they actually looked at us like we were nuts--the only tip for them is to get a job you like!! Not to mention the room we were in looked like the carpet had never been cleaned--sickening. The advertisement said ocean view--sure it was right after you contorted your neck around the parking lot over the trees, past the swim pool & then maybe you could catch a glimse of the top of a wave. Breakfast---everyone shoved into one room for a buffet. Lets talk about the bacon--my God, it looked like someone hung it up & sprayed it with a grease gun. That was the last time we ate there for $35.00!!! Hamburger only $9.00, oh yea the pizza that we ordered had a crust that tasted like the bottom of the box only cost $31.00.----can you believe it. This one is a hoot---they have a pool for the kids which was up to about 6', the adult only pool which was off by itself was 4-5' --what the heck is that! The adult pool which was posted with a sign saying quiet---was graced with a big mouth blonde & her buddies. Being a sun worshipper, all I wanted to do is relax in peace & quiet---NOT.
I could go on & on about this place & it's unfriendly over priced nothing to do but get in the car & ride to the next town offers, but I'm just getting ticked all over again..To those of you thinking about spending your money on this place---DON"T. Take a trip to Mexico where people are happy & go out of their way to make sure your stay is memorable---OK I'm done.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

We were sort of forced into Hawk's on Memorial Day - everything else was booked. Telephone description was OK - 5 pools, lagoon, so on, so forth, "high end". Well... Rooms are OK - no more than that, but OK, fairly large, clean, no objection, although decor and furnishings are 80s contractor special, Motel-8 type.
The biggest problem is that resort is overcrowded - too many people, too many children for too little space. Resort management feels obligated to entertain guests around the clock, so there is obnoxious guy with steel drums who just doesn't let go, and when he takes a break, they turn on some elevator music, but at full tilt- tranquil this place is not. All in all, Hawk's is a a poor attempt at "mass-appeal pseudo-posh resort" similar to some mega-resorts I've seen in Mexico: but Hawk's is neither blessed with Riviera Maya natural environment nor does Hawk's management know how to run such places well. "Lagoon" is a milky-green puddle filled mostly with children and a few endeavouring adults best characterised as a drunk rednecks- decide for yourself whether you like that sort of stuff or not. In general, you get to see quite a few people singing along with a steel-drummer, full voice. Food-wise, once we saw what they cooked for pool-side lunch, we got into a car and drove to Key West for dinner (Michael's, recommended). Breakfast we had at Hawks (paid $15 a piece, not included with our $300 room..), and that was a mistake: scrambled eggs made with egg powder, omelette pan liberally sprayed with Pam or whatever other non-stick spray they use, little insults like hiding juice jugs in the back room in case you drink one glass too many: you get the picture... I can't comment on service, since there was very little we wanted from them...

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2007

I was concerned about traveling here when I read the reviews about bedbugs and musty rooms, however, I found that the rooms and the entire resort were quite wonderful. Everything was beautiful and clean. The pools and lagoon were great. Every morning we watched the dolphins play as the sun came up and in the evenings it was great to watch the charter boats come in with their catch. My only criticism is that it is extremely expensive to buy your meals on site. I expected a slight increase in price, as with most resorts, but these prices were extremely high. However, part of the beauty of a true Florida Keys experience is eating out at some of the local haunts. If you have children, or are concerned at all about prices, then I highly recommend purchasing drinks and snacks for your in room refrigerator and eating at restaurants somewhere off site.

• Liked — the onsite lagoon, dolphins and 5 pools
  • Disliked — the cost of meals and snacks for a family are extremely high
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!