I'm writing this review in our room on our last day, and both my wife and I are upset to be leaving. This was one of the best resorts we have every stayed at, and we've stayed at great resorts in Florida/California/Las Vegas. Some highlights:
1. Service was top notch, I can't say enough about that. From the valet parking attendants who refused tips and opened the resort entrance doors for us everytime, to the friendly waiter at the breakfast buffet, to the employees around the resort who would stop and say hello...I can't say enough about all of them. They made us feel welcome.
2. We had a water view room...the bed was extremely comfortable; in fact it was one of the best beds I have slept in. The room was spacious and the bathroom is large as well. My wife and I commented that if we could transport the bathroom back to our home we'd never be happier. (Note: Our room didn't have a tub; it was a large stone shower with a seat)
3. I agree with other posters that the breakfast buffet isn't cheap (it comes to $49 for two people), but this *is* a resort and not a Holiday Inn Express so I expected beforehand that it wouldn't be a bargain breakfast. The good news is that the buffet is excellent (eggs, bacon, oatmeal, bagels, pastries, fruit, cheeses, etc. etc.). We ate at the buffet twice and skipped lunch both times so in effect I'd like to say that we made out pricewise by not having lunch.
4. The main pool is extremely nice and has views of the ocean. There is also a tranquility pool for adults only with beautiful cabanas. We went in the main pool instead of the tranquility pool because it was 2x the size and the resort was empty during our stay so it never felt crowded.
5. We only used valet parking one time because even though it's included in the resort price (they refused my tips), there is a free lot immediately next to the main entrance (as you get to the resort, take a left just before you get to the front of the resort) so it was quicker for us to park our own car.
Duck Key is right next to Marathon which is in the middle of the keys. This was perfect as we used our resort as homebase and could easily travel to the other keys (Key West is only about an hour away). Just realize that you are always going to be driving on the Overseas Highway because the keys are spread out - it's an easy drive though so we didn't mind all of the driving we did.
This was our first time to Hawks Cay, and definitely not the last!
P.S. Originally my wife and I were going to stay at another resort in Marathon when our travel agent recommended Hawks Cay instead. We paid in full with our agent (he went through GoGo Tours) and I was hoping I made the right choice because the price I paid was the same as through the Hawks Cay website, but you didn't have to pay in full if you went through the resort website. I definitely made the right choice because upon checkout there were NO extra fees on the bill (no resort fee, no maid/valet fee, nothing). It's worth booking through an agent if they can give you an "all inclusive" total price.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Hawks Cay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hawks Cay Hotel Duck Key
- Hawks Cay Duck Key
- Duck Key
- Hawk Cay Resort
- Hawks Key
- Hawks Cay Resort Duck Key, Florida