“Wow! Incredible Stay, A+ Service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save 20% All Fall!
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Duck Key
Massachusetts
“Wow! Incredible Stay, A+ Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

I'm writing this review in our room on our last day, and both my wife and I are upset to be leaving. This was one of the best resorts we have every stayed at, and we've stayed at great resorts in Florida/California/Las Vegas. Some highlights:

1. Service was top notch, I can't say enough about that. From the valet parking attendants who refused tips and opened the resort entrance doors for us everytime, to the friendly waiter at the breakfast buffet, to the employees around the resort who would stop and say hello...I can't say enough about all of them. They made us feel welcome.

2. We had a water view room...the bed was extremely comfortable; in fact it was one of the best beds I have slept in. The room was spacious and the bathroom is large as well. My wife and I commented that if we could transport the bathroom back to our home we'd never be happier. (Note: Our room didn't have a tub; it was a large stone shower with a seat)

3. I agree with other posters that the breakfast buffet isn't cheap (it comes to $49 for two people), but this *is* a resort and not a Holiday Inn Express so I expected beforehand that it wouldn't be a bargain breakfast. The good news is that the buffet is excellent (eggs, bacon, oatmeal, bagels, pastries, fruit, cheeses, etc. etc.). We ate at the buffet twice and skipped lunch both times so in effect I'd like to say that we made out pricewise by not having lunch.

4. The main pool is extremely nice and has views of the ocean. There is also a tranquility pool for adults only with beautiful cabanas. We went in the main pool instead of the tranquility pool because it was 2x the size and the resort was empty during our stay so it never felt crowded.

5. We only used valet parking one time because even though it's included in the resort price (they refused my tips), there is a free lot immediately next to the main entrance (as you get to the resort, take a left just before you get to the front of the resort) so it was quicker for us to park our own car.

Duck Key is right next to Marathon which is in the middle of the keys. This was perfect as we used our resort as homebase and could easily travel to the other keys (Key West is only about an hour away). Just realize that you are always going to be driving on the Overseas Highway because the keys are spread out - it's an easy drive though so we didn't mind all of the driving we did.

This was our first time to Hawks Cay, and definitely not the last!

P.S. Originally my wife and I were going to stay at another resort in Marathon when our travel agent recommended Hawks Cay instead. We paid in full with our agent (he went through GoGo Tours) and I was hoping I made the right choice because the price I paid was the same as through the Hawks Cay website, but you didn't have to pay in full if you went through the resort website. I definitely made the right choice because upon checkout there were NO extra fees on the bill (no resort fee, no maid/valet fee, nothing). It's worth booking through an agent if they can give you an "all inclusive" total price.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

2,719 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

Last year my fiance, now husband, and I stayed at Hawks Cay and met with their Wedding 'Specialist' Kerry, We LOVED the resort and really wanted to get married there but the week-end we chose was already booked for a wedding our size, 200 outside. BUT We liked Kerry and his love of the resort and the way he treated us during our stay, so much that we decided to come back to the resort for a much needed getaway. Unfortunately......We found that Kerry was no longer employed by Hawks Cay,

Last year we had a great lunch at the Beach Grill, servers treated us like royalty and really had affection for Kerry, THIS visit, the exact opposite. The response when we inquired from the very rude waitress, "yea, we'll he (Kerry) was fired" We over looked the rudeness and asked if they still had the Crab Quesadilla....she asked.."do you see it on the menu?" It was NOT there.....and soon neither were we........as we walked away, we heard her explaining to a fellow employee, 'they're leaving because they are 'living in the past'.

We then went to the Concierge to see Helen, we found she had been promoted to reservations and asked if she could help. We mentioned a great restaurant in Islamorada that had a fun casual menu and was overlooking a Marina and we couldn't remember the name.....She said it was called 'Wahoo' and called and made a reservation for us the next day and we decided to wait for dinner at Alma and went back to the room for a nap.....this was the only thing that was EXACTLY like last year...the BEDS....WONDERFUL!

At 6 pm we walked in the Alma Bar, we were met by Scott, the Manager, still as pleasant as he had been previously, We then saw Danisha and Delroy, our waiter and waitress from the year before (lovely couple)..that is where the similarities ended.....the new menu and food was HORRIBLE, the 'nuevo latino' food had been replaced with some mexican-esgue slop that was simply inedible. We again asked about Kerry. They told us that they had come back for season to find that he had left, no further details. My husband joked that maybe he 'slept with the fishes'!

After this horrible dinner we walked to Tom's Harbor House to see Carlos, John and Charlotte......well 0 out of three ain't GOOD...there is a pattern developing here..Carlos and John no longer worked there and Charlotte was off......we had a drink and listened to the bartenders talk about how much money they weren't making and conversing with their co-workers and not engaging the guests in anyway. We decided to go back to the one constant OUR BED!...GREAT BEDS!

The next morning we went to the Breakfast buffet...Donelyn (?) our waitress was still the same but the buffet wasn't...the pastries tasted store bought where the year before they were homemade, YEP guess what the pastry chef was gone too. We begrudgingly paid our check and decided to make the drive to Islamorada and shop and make our reservation.

Beautiful drive, relaxed and beautiful vistas of aqua blue water.....we let all of the 'stuff' go and looked forward to our lunch at Wahoo. Just as we remembered it.....GREAT SPOT, Million Dollar View and simple, yet, well crafted casual food...much like The Beach Grill had been the year before.....Still craving crab I asked if they had any Crab items, when the waitress came by....she asked what did I have in mind, 'if the chef has it he can make it"....I said 'Crab Quesadilla",,,she was back in 2 minutes and said the chef would be 'happy' to accommodate! AH! hospitality..... The food came quickly and was perfect!

NOW the best part.......as we were eating our lunch, who should walk in but "KERRY" I yelled his name, perhaps a bit to loud as everyone in the restaurant turned their head and Kerry jumped. He recognized us immediately and came to the table, he is now the manager at one of the restaurant owned by Wahoo, a Brazilian Steakhouse.....As we told him about our trials with Hawks Cay, he could not have been more gracious, he even apologized.... said nothing but wonderful things about Hawks Cay and that the downturn in the economy had made his job cut necessary, and that has former supervisor had taken over his position and that she was a "lovely person'. He begged us to give Hawks Cay 'another chance', calling it "one of the most beautiful places in the Keys"

All I want to say here is all businesses make mistakes, but GREAT BEDS Hawks Cay...but something is missing and the people you have in positions that deal with the public need to be retrained, and 'IF it AIN'T broke don't fix it"

We'll be back but NOT for the food and service but for the BEDS and "one of the most beautiful places in the Keys".......

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

This was my second visit to the Hawks Cay Resort - the previous time being over 10 years ago. Aaahhh, so very relaxing. Everything was absolutely perfect. The four of us stayed in one of the two bedroom villas fronting the intercoastal waterway. What a sight to wake up to! Even though it was a bit cool, we had our breakfasts looking out at the boats coming and going. The service, we felt, was phenominal. Upon arrival, we noticed that we had only three wine glasses and called about it. Extra glasses arrived within minutes of my call. Also, the battery on the heating/cooling system said it needed to be replaced. Another call, with the maintenance fellow arriving in less than 5 minutes. On one of the cooler days, we went to the hot pool around the Adults Only Tranquility Pool. There wasn't another soul about, but along came someone asking if we'd like to order drinks.

Our only complaint has to do with their Calm Waters Spa (which I'm not sure if it's run by the Hawks Key Resort people). Our friends went to the Spa for massages at 9 am, the time they opened. This was booked the day before. Even so, one of the massage therapists was late. What was supposed to be a relaxing massage turned 'ugly'. The room was very cold, the oils also cold, even the therapists hands were cold. Yikes. My husband and I were scheduled for noon, so I called to report our friends' experience and asked them to address the issue before our arrival. For us, all was fine and the massages excellent, especially the scalp massages which I recommend whole-heartedly.

We didn't eat at the resort but went down the road about 2 minutes and came upon the Wharf Grill on Grassy Key. What a fun time we had with the crazy waitress, Patti. Cheap beer and wine and tasty appetizers and a blackened mahi mahi sandwiches 'to die for'.

I can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
midwest USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

Just returned from the coldest south Florida weather in over 100 years, so some of my viewpoint is tempered by the miserable cold and wind. As they say, weather is everything when on vacation! Hawk's Cay is a beautiful resort on a small, tidy residential key which you reach by driving over a bridge. We stayed in the main building complex, which appears to have been fairly recently redone. The rooms were outstanding with creature comforts such as down comforters, good lighting, robes, mini-fridge and tasteful West-Indian decor throughout. The staff was really attentive (we had a few small room issues like burned out lightbulbs, fridge on the fritz, etc. and they immediately fixed things). The pool/spa/marina complexes were awesome...altho too cold to even sit outside for a few minutes last week. Our only real complaint might be the lack of dining choices and the high prices for doing so. They had a $12 continental breakfast in the bar off the lobby, or a pricey lavish buffet breakfast in another restaurant for twice that. For lunch, there was a deli down the road (off property), and dinner you could take a shuttle, drive or walk to Tom's Bar and Grille in the Marina area, open only for dinner. The only other alternative was to drive 7 miles south to Marathon for restaurants. On the other had, it's a good place to go on a diet, because you won't be tempted by food! All things considered, we would probably go back, but not in January, because the weather is too fickle. Also..we have stayed at the Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada on previous visits to the Keys (an upscale resort on par with this one), and you definitely get more for your $$ at Hawk's Cay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

I've had a blast at this resort. It was clean and a lot of fun for my children. The staff was very respectful and plessant. The ones who stood out the most was in the gift shop. They we're closing and I asked the staff manager, Ms. Eula, if she could repoen it for me. I asked her first if she would get in trouble, and she said the only thing i would get in trouble for is not serving you. Most people whouldn't do that, but she was very considerate. The staff here is amazing. I would definetly go back.

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

I absolutely love the Hawks Cay resort and cannot wait to return. This place is ideal for families with young children and has so many wonderful activities for kids. Children 5+ can do the camp and children under 5 can get babysitting service for 18/hr for the first child and 2 dollars/hour for each additional child. We did not take advantage of the babysitting service with our two year old, but I watched a babysitter as she was caring for three young children at the camp area and she was absolutely wonderful; I would not hesitate to use their service if I needed it for future visits.

The service is impeccable; the room was cleaned to perfection everyday, and cleaned again with the turn-down service. The valet is top-notch; the men RAN to get our car or open the doors for us. Every single person was polite in a geniunely friendly manner.

We enjoyed the breakfast buffet, but found the rest of the dining experience at the two outdoor restaraunts to be lack-luster and over-priced (typical of hotels so not unexpected or disappointing) so we preferred to head off site for some good eats.

The location is perfect if you want to explore the Keys as this resort is basically in the middle of the Keys. We also stayed in Key West, but next time we will simply stay longer at Hawks Cay and just drive down to Key West for excursions.

The rooms are perfect, except for one small flaw with the tubs which cause water to overflow onto the floor whenever you shower (the tubs should have been constructed flush to the tile around it instead of above it since this doesn't allow the water to go back into the tub. This is how the room ended up being cleaned twice a day, as the housekeeper would clean up the wet towels and the water off the floor for us. The rooms are decorated perfectly in the Keys style with gorgeous furnishing and comfy beds with an assortment of pillows.

We loved having the dolphins on-site and watched the encounters for the show of it everyday. There are lots of other activities and things that go on too; their fire-show was amazing and my little one loved it.

The fitness center is great too; much larger than most hotels and with a variety of weights and cardio equipment. Never had a problem with any of the equipment not working properly. They provided water and towels in the gym.

NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

We have been going to the Keys for over 13 years and Hawks Cay is by far the best. Only sorry it took us this long to find it. Came with 2 kids around age 10. The kids facility and staff were the best ever. They have anything and everything a kid could want to do and staff that will do it with them with high energy! Terrific spa too.
Friendly service around at all times for anything you want at pool, resort, or lagoon.
Great completely renovated rooms and a lagoon that will blow you away. The pool was even warm on the days that Florida was not. Overall the best experience we have ever had at any Florida resort!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!